Very little buzz on this board about 2018 Leafs being available

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake14mw

Hi all,

I'm very surprised at how little activity there is on this board about how the 2018 is now available in the US. I think I have seen one comment about someone taking delivery of one. No pictures, no reviews, it seems like very little excitement about this car. Is it just me?

there is some buzz, but speculation is silly so most of us are waiting for people to actually get their hands on one. That is just barely starting to trickle though. i just saw my first one in the Seattle area this weekend.

We have stopped in a couple ties to the local dealer (Palm SPrings California). They don't expect to see any till April. Funny town for EV's. Good charging infrastructure but not a lot of EB's other than Teslas on the road. The chevy dealer just kind of mumbles and says they don't get very many Bolts. No demand etc. the Volkswagen dealer says if we really wanted one they could order one but they are special order, take 6 months and come with a big price tag etc. If you want to buy an EV here best to go to LA. Lots there.

jake14mw said:
Hi all,

I'm very surprised at how little activity there is on this board about how the 2018 is now available in the US. I think I have seen one comment about someone taking delivery of one. No pictures..
Most of the excitement was months ago, when 2018 MY production and deliveries began in Japan.

But this guy thought first in Utah deserved this short video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_mxUYO1Rww

Well, not USA related but here in Canada, Toronto ON area, many dealers have received NFS Leaf 2.0 unit(s). Went and test drove one on Saturday and drove great. Last week, some dealers already started deliveries to customers. I've seen a couple on the road already.

kennethbokor said:
Well, not USA related but here in Canada, Toronto ON area, many dealers have received NFS Leaf 2.0 unit(s). Went and test drove one on Saturday and drove great. Last week, some dealers already started deliveries to customers. I've seen a couple on the road already.

Canada and USA are basically a simultaneous rollout, so I consider Canadian deliveries as the same as US!

TomT said:
I drove one for half a day... I wasn't excited.

jake14mw said:
No pictures, no reviews, it seems like very little excitement about this car. Is it just me?

It’s not a very exciting car, it’s a practical value-based product and I think we’re seeing that reflected here.

The ‘18 Leaf is basically a massaged 2011-2017 Model with a bigger battery. It’s a nice improvement but if you’ve ever driven the old car the new one will feel extremely familiar.

mtndrew1 said:
TomT said:

jake14mw said:
No pictures, no reviews, it seems like very little excitement about this car. Is it just me?

It’s not a very exciting car, it’s a practical value-based product and I think we’re seeing that reflected here.

The ‘18 Leaf is basically a massaged 2011-2017 Model with a bigger battery. It’s a nice improvement but if you’ve ever driven the old car the new one will feel extremely familiar.

Which I think is a good thing. For someone not needing Tesla-like rocket performance, which really no one needs, the Leaf is fine. It will get you going and merge/pass on the highway fine. I for one think rocket performance is a waste in most areas since our NA speed limits are lower than many EU.

For a good, practical and still fun to drive BEV, I think the new Leaf is suitable for that purpose.

kennethbokor said:
mtndrew1 said:
TomT said:

Which I think is a good thing. For someone not needing Tesla-like rocket performance, which really no one needs, the Leaf is fine. It will get you going and merge/pass on the highway fine. I for one think rocket performance is a waste in most areas since our NA speed limits are lower than many EU.

For a good, practical and still fun to drive BEV, I think the new Leaf is suitable for that purpose.

Yep. The new Leaf is analogous to a new Corolla. It’s fine, they’ll sell a bunch of them, but this is not a product anyone gets excited about.

The Leaf Too is a trade-off car, with several great features removed to help pay for the higher capacity and Pro Pilot. Since I have little desire to pay $200 a month more to lose things like Around View, the top display, 80% charge option and the nice rocker toggle switches for Cruise and radio station change, I'll wait until I have to get something else. Maybe it will be a Leaf, maybe not. I'm currently trying to see if the 30kwh 2017 Leaf is a viable option. In any case Nissan and GM between them have made sure that I won't love whatever car I get like I do my 2013 SV.

mtndrew1 said:
Yep. The new Leaf is analogous to a new Corolla. It’s fine, they’ll sell a bunch of them, but this is not a product anyone gets excited about.
Especially true when the 2019 Leaf looks much more interesting. Will be fun when we start to learn more details about the 2019 Leaf. https://electrek.co/2018/01/04/nissan-leaf-2019-specs-range-charging/

The 2019 Leaf may also carry the Mobileye EyeQ4 chip which according to Mobileye would allow driverless capability. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_centering#2018_Mobileye_EyeQ4

If I knew that the 2019 leaf would be available (not just "revealed") in September, I'd try for a lease extension, or even go without a car of my own for two or three months. I do have an electric motorcycle and my housemate drives a PIP that I can borrow as needed. It isn't the larger pack that interests me, though. It's the Pro Park option. Of course they'll probably restrict that to the SL here.

I think that the low amount of excitement for the new car is Nissan's fault...

It is hard to get excited about a car that is still not in stores, and when it is available, the price will be non-negotiable.

That, and the fact that most of us who write here already have Leafs, makes this upgraded model "nice", but not a "must have".

I guess its like going to a singles bar with your wife... You may see nice ones there, but you are still going home with her...

powersurge said:
I think that the low amount of excitement for the new car is Nissan's fault...

It is hard to get excited about a car that is still not in stores, and when it is available, the price will be non-negotiable...
594 2018 LEAFs now in official inventory, either at dealers or on the way:

https://www.nissanusa.com/buildyournissan/inventory/index?modelLineCode=LEF&lang=en&tool=overview-landing.inventory.link#

First lease report, >$2,500 discount from list on an SL:

2018 Leaf

simply said:
Lease Details:

Lease Date: 02/07/18
Vehicle: NEW 2018 Nissan Leaf SL
Exterior Color: Blue
Interior Color: Tan

Sticker Base MSRP $38115
Agreed Upon Vehicle Price $35559.00

Capitalized Cost Reduction $7900.00
Adjusted capitalized Cost $30323.06
Residual Value $12196.80

va state sales tax $1,247.56
va title, license, registration $132.50
Acquisition Fee $595.00

Rent Charge $1086
Monthly Payment $533.70
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=25282

No reason to get excited, IMO, but if you are looking for the most practical BEV available, you should be considering a LEAF.

I too am disappointed by the lack of buzz. However I agree with all the reasons given above: No fanfare from Nissan; Nothing exceptional above the car; And most people here already have a LEAF.

Still it seems like the best choice for most people. Unfortunately, many will be waiting for next round of EV launches using the same old excuses: Not enough range; Not the type of car I want; Still too expensive.

I think it will do OK when the available buyers compare cars. The trying-to-not-standout styling should bring new interest.

Back