Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jlv said:
...In no way was I implying the general DCFC infrastructure (CCS or otherwise) to be anything close to the SC infrastructure. The SC network is the reason I bought a Model S and it's why I've been able to put over 16K miles on it in under a year. SC is a massive competitive advantage to Tesla.

Up here in New England it seems like the SC network is growing by leaps and bounds: it sure seems like it has close to doubled in the last year.

Case in point: This past weekend I took a 250 mile trip to Maine to go skiing at a ski area we visit every year. The trip was only doable because the ski area had a destination charger. Tesla has 3 additional SC sites planned on that route that should be open when we take the trip again next year.
That is fantastic.

Below are 25 mile radius circles!!
DA7MlI7.jpg

GetOffYourGas said:
...Tesla has a massive head start, but I believe that CCS will catch up and overtake it...
While I agree that there is a good chance of that, one big difference is that the CCS network, if I can call it that, has a hodge-podge of charger owners and billing systems. That's a huge difference from a centrally designed, managed, and billed Supercharger network. Unless something changes, that makes CCS a lot more trouble to use for road trips.

For the Supercharger network, billing is automatic — you do nothing except plug-in — the car knows where all the sites are, can route you through them, navigate you to them, and give you a status report for each site before you head to it. It is hard for me to see how the CCS network ever gets to that stage.

dgpcolorado said:
GetOffYourGas said:
...Tesla has a massive head start, but I believe that CCS will catch up and overtake it...
While I agree that there is a good chance of that, one big difference is that the CCS network, if I can call it that, has a hodge-podge of charger owners and billing systems. That's a huge difference from a centrally designed, managed, and billed Supercharger network. Unless something changes, that makes CCS a lot more trouble to use for road trips.

For the Supercharger network, billing is automatic — you do nothing except plug-in — the car knows where all the sites are, can route you through them, navigate you to them, and give you a status report for each site before you head to it. It is hard for me to see how the CCS network ever gets to that stage.
The Electrify America network will all be managed by Greenlots, so that should considerably reduce the SC network's advantages once it's built out. All the rest will probably remain a hodgepodge, but I expect if public charging is ever commercially profitable it will eventually be like gas stations rather than dedicated networks - credit/debit card/cash accepted, and competing stations on every corner. We'll have to see how fast EA will fill the gaps, but at least they're planning an efficient X-C route for starters.

There's depressingly little expansion of coverage into new areas going on; Poncha Springs was about the only one last month. The rest seem to be adding density along existing routes, and especially boosting urban capacity. Gaylord, MI is one of the few under construction (156 days now) that expands into a new area. Tesla can plead weather for Gaylord, but that doesn't explain why almost nothing has been done to complete I-10/20 in Texas: San Antonio is at least under construction, but Ft. Stockton (permitted for 460 days now) and Pecos (permitted for 121 days) remain dormant.

GRA said:
There's depressingly little expansion of coverage into new areas going on; Poncha Springs was about the only one last month. The rest seem to be adding density along existing routes, and especially boosting urban capacity. Gaylord, MI is one of the few under construction (156 days now) that expands into a new area. Tesla can plead weather for Gaylord, but that doesn't explain why almost nothing has been done to complete I-10/20 in Texas: San Antonio is at least under construction, but Ft. Stockton (permitted for 460 days now) and Pecos (permitted for 121 days) remain dormant.

Let's see...states that don't allow sales are suffering from slow expansion. If you can't sell cars then you probably have fewer customers and therefore less need for charging.

palmermd said:
GRA said:
Let's see...states that don't allow sales are suffering from slow expansion. If you can't sell cars then you probably have fewer customers and therefore less need for charging.
Excellent point!
XCrXPW7.jpg

Michigan doesn't allow sales, yet Tesla has already built 13 SCs there with 3 more under construction. More importantly, I-10/20 are routes which Tesla has said they are going to complete, and these are about the only X-C primary interstate routes they can work on now without major weather delays. This X-C route is the most likely to be snow-free in the winter.

While we're at it, how is it Tesla hasn't built an SC in Wichita Falls yet, needed to cut off 100 miles or so off the distance to Amarillo by eliminating the dogleg to OKC for people heading to I-40 and continuing west from DFW? Childress sits out there all by its lonesome not serving much except from Amarillo to WF, while WF could connect to Shamrock without it, and has been on the coming soon map forever.

Via IEVS:
Tesla Quietly Jacks Up Supercharging Rates In U.S.
https://insideevs.com/tesla-quietly-raises-u-s-supercharging-rates/
Several recent messages on various Tesla-related social media pages indicate that there’s been a sudden and unexpected increase in Supercharging rates, which have more than doubled in some states.

Yet Tesla insists that Supercharger are not profit makers.

InsideEVs received a recent tip that pointed out that Tesla Supercharger rates more than doubled in Washington and Oregon. If you go to Tesla’s website and simply check the price quote for your state, you should see the obvious increase. However, at the time of this writing, there’s no indication from the automaker that this has occurred, nor was there any advance warning, as far as we can tell.

In Washington, the price jumped from .11/kWh to .25/kWh. This accounts for a significant percentage above typical residential costs. Prices in Virginia jumped to .21/kWh, rates in Illinois have increased over 60 percent, to .25/kWh, and California is up to .26/kWh. . . .

Perhaps this is another attempt by Tesla to discourage Supercharger “misuse.” Basically, we mean the people are only supposed to be using the Superchargers for long trips. However, this isn’t a good plan when considering those that count on the new urban chargers.
There's a map showing the old rates by state, and a link to the new ones ditto.

GRA said:
Via IEVS:
Tesla Quietly Jacks Up Supercharging Rates In U.S.
https://insideevs.com/tesla-quietly-raises-u-s-supercharging-rates/
Several recent messages on various Tesla-related social media pages indicate that there’s been a sudden and unexpected increase in Supercharging rates, which have more than doubled in some states.

Yet Tesla insists that Supercharger are not profit makers.

InsideEVs received a recent tip that pointed out that Tesla Supercharger rates more than doubled in Washington and Oregon. If you go to Tesla’s website and simply check the price quote for your state, you should see the obvious increase. However, at the time of this writing, there’s no indication from the automaker that this has occurred, nor was there any advance warning, as far as we can tell.

In Washington, the price jumped from .11/kWh to .25/kWh. This accounts for a significant percentage above typical residential costs. Prices in Virginia jumped to .21/kWh, rates in Illinois have increased over 60 percent, to .25/kWh, and California is up to .26/kWh. . . .

Perhaps this is another attempt by Tesla to discourage Supercharger “misuse.” Basically, we mean the people are only supposed to be using the Superchargers for long trips. However, this isn’t a good plan when considering those that count on the new urban chargers.
There's a map showing the old rates by state, and a link to the new ones ditto.
Great ... as long as it is great than (>) owners home rates and less than (<) gasoline equivalent then people will not abuse the Superchargers. Perfect.

Plus the Superchargers cannot be used for commercial usage (taxi, limo, etc) any more.

No one should be surprised to see this happen, it was not sustainable, but it should have been more transparent and announced a good while ago.

The prices are still quite reasonable and this should help free up some congested charging locations in urban areas.

When I saw that article I was surprised they didn't mention the "way back" replay at supercharge.info. Just go there and click on "Map Options" - it's at the bottom of the menu.

I'm pleased to see that Boulder CO is finally under construction. It will be nice to be able to drive directly to/from Boulder without having to deal with Denver traffic. Tesla is even building a sales and service center near Boulder (in Superior).

dgpcolorado said:
I'm pleased to see that Boulder CO is finally under construction. It will be nice to be able to drive directly to/from Boulder without having to deal with Denver traffic. Tesla is even building a sales and service center near Boulder (in Superior).
Boulder SC - at 6:09 (369) minutes in
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyxjP05mguw[/youtube]
https://youtu.be/AyxjP05mguw?t=369

dgpcolorado said:
Now they need to get started on Estes Park so it's ready by summer, and they also need one in Granby or Grand Lake to provide access to R.M. N.P. from the other end of Trail Ridge road. I see they've also got permits for the I-94/I-29 to Winnipeg route, at long last.

Back