Looking for the cheapest leaf around I only need 40 miles :-)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, little confused about the capacity of the batteries if someone says it has 12 bar and post a photo of it only show showing eight bars what’s up with that, this was their reply. Haps one only can tell the truth capacity with the leaf spy software

Yes, it has 12 bars, the picture is after some use on a full charge. Bear in mind that electric batteries suffer in the cold. The range can be reduced by 30% or more if it's cold outside. The range is likely 55-60 in winter to 65-75 in summer. The heat, for longer trips, works pretty well, it just takes time to warm up; like I said, I rarely used it for my short commutes. The air conditioning is fine.

Yes the owner is talking out of his arse! Either stupid or deceitful - perhaps both. Thanks for all the help. Just shows you that although electric cars are vastly simpler in design than a gasoline card - I just test drove a 530 Xi wagon, boy what a nightmare. - there are still things one has to research on.

Gigawatt said:
Yes the owner is talking out of his arse! Either stupid or deceitful - perhaps both. Thanks for all the help. Just shows you that although electric cars are vastly simpler in design than a gasoline card - I just test drove a 530 Xi wagon, boy what a nightmare. - there are still things one has to research on.

The photo of the dash in the CL ad shows 12 charge bars and 12 capacity bars. The range estimate corresponds with the remaining capacity the owner claims. I'm not sure where you are getting "8 bars" from, unless you mean charge bars. Those DO go down and up with charge. I see no fraud of any sort there.

No wrong ad - https://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/6495782364.html

00y0y_hM5o62cuuis_1200x900.jpg

Gigawatt said:
No wrong ad - https://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/6495782364.html
/quote]
Yeah...

'12 bars when charged' translates into 100% of 8 bars capacity.

There is a small chance that the car is still in the 5 yr/60k mile warranty period for a free battery replacement. Then it could be worth around the asking price. Find out when the car was first titled.

OK I understand perhaps the person is not being as nefarious as I thought they were.

Interesting so you are saying that even if you have three bars capacity you can still get 12 bars of charge? What about if you had 12 bars of capacity and only three bars of max charge - confused here.

And also I was reading that just because you have 12 bars doesn’t mean to say that you don’t really have 11.1 or 11.99 interesting stuff.

Gigawatt said:
OK I understand perhaps the person is not being as nefarious as I thought they were.

Interesting so you are saying that even if you have three bars capacity you can still get 12 bars of charge? What about if you had 12 bars of capacity and only three bars of max charge - confused here.

And also I was reading that just because you have 12 bars doesn’t mean to say that you don’t really have 11.1 or 11.99 interesting stuff.

Supposing you have a gasser when it was new, it got 500 miles per tank. But it got old, worn out like gassers do so now it only gets 450 miles per tank. So are you expecting the gas gauge to reflect that missing 50 miles?

Because that is exactly what you are saying here. The charge bars are a representation of how full your pack is. It has the exact same representation on a 12 bar pack as it does on an 8 bar pack. FYI; the bars don't represent miles. Only the percentage of a full charge.... be it a full charge of 100 miles or a full charge of 60 miles... its simply a representation of a percentage of what could be available.

Gigawatt said:
Interesting so you are saying that even if you have three bars capacity you can still get 12 bars of charge?
Yes. And in that extreme case, the battery is capable of holding only about 3/12 of 24kWh, or 6kWh (ignoring the intentional nonlinearity of the bars and other details). So, again roughly, each of the 12 "charge bars" would represent 1/12 of that degraded-to-6kWh capacity, or about 0.5 kWh. At the LEAF's rule-of-thumb 4 miles/kWh efficiency, each "charge bar" would represent about two miles of driving range.
Gigawatt said:
What about if you had 12 bars of capacity and only three bars of max charge - confused here.
That can't happen, because "max charge" IS "capacity", by definition.
Gigawatt said:
Welcome to the digital age. It's called "resolution" in the trade. As I look at the time-of-day display in the lower right-hand corner of my computer's display, I see that it's "11:12 AM". But is that 11:12:01 or 11:12:16, or... ?

The outer "capacity bar" segments indicate how much energy the battery can hold when full. The inner, longer "charge bars" show how much of your battery's current maximum capacity is full.

I think that the owner of the CL car claiming '12 bars when full' was indeed being misleading, unless they actually misunderstood how the gauge works as well.

As for how much is left on a car that shows 12 real capacity bars, it's between 84% and 99.XX% of new. The 12th bar (the first to drop) represents a larger fraction of capacity (15%) than the other capacity bars. Nissan did this so it would keep showing12 bars longer. I always tell people looking at used Leafs to assume, if they can't use LeafSpy on the car, that it actually has 11 bars of capacity, plus a tiny bit more when it shows 12. That saves disappointment later. (Unless the system was reset to falsely show 12 bars, but that's another can of worms...)

Gigawatt said:
Greetings, I’m looking for a cheap leaf here in Boulder Colorado. I have seen leaves for 5 to 6000k in the bay area but everything here on the front Range seems to be at least 7-9k. So I’m wondering what the deal is if people actually getting these prices here in Colorado?

I have a 2012 Leaf SL with heated seats, heated steering wheel, Chademo, 50,000 miles, new 2016 "Lizard" battery at 90% capacity, newish tires, looks and drives like new. It really needs to move to a cooler climate. I would take any reasonable offer between $4000 and $5000, but figure another $500 to transport it from Florida to Colorado. I'm not in a big hurry to sell it, but I have been invited to configure my Tesla Model 3, and have been holding off for now.

I’m actually negotiating one that has hitch, snow tires for 12 bars for 10K here in Colorado 2013 SL. Trying to convince my parents to get an EV perhaps this would be good for them?

I’m actually negotiating one that has hitch, snow tires for 12 bars for 10K here in Colorado 2013 SL. Trying to convince my parents to get an EV perhaps this would be good for them?

Make sure that the driver's side door label shows a build date later than March of 2013. If the date is before that, then make sure it has a new battery, because otherwise the BMS was likely reset. As for your parents, it would depend on how much/far they drive, and whether or not they'd be likely to leave the car plugged in after charging finished, which tends to kill the 12 volt battery.

OK I meant to give this other guy a deposit for the $11K leaf here in Boulder, this other one is half the price and 80% of the car I am now torn trying to get him to call me ASAP

Back