Good Will Program over--Lost 4th bar 10 days after warranty expired, Nissan: 'too bad'

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wwhitney said:
edatoakrun said:
I wonder why Nissan suspended its out of warranty support program, when Nissan LEAF owners are so conscientious about caring for their battery packs?
The behavior being discussed is a rational response to an all or nothing warranty. A prorated warranty would have avoided any economic incentives for such games...
It is unfortunate that the vast majority of LEAF owners were duped into accepting the Klee class action settlement.

In fact, all evidence suggests most all 2011-12 LEAFs were delivered with defective batteries, in that they had less than 24 kWh total capacity on delivery, and all of those LEAF owners were entitled to significant compensation.

Nissan was able to settle the lawsuit on very favorable terms only due to the docility of most LEAF owners, and the support of its stooges on this forum who claimed credit for the settlement as their own great achievement.

edatoakrun said:
In fact, all evidence suggests most all 2011-12 LEAFs were delivered with defective batteries, in that they had less than 24 kWh total capacity on delivery, and all of those LEAF owners were entitled to significant compensation.
BS

I see you have added "idiot playing internet lawyer" to your troll duties.

topaz420 said:
What a bummer. There is obviously something amiss with these early-model Leafs, which is why Nissan initially extended the warranty programs (thanks in large part to the outcry from this community)

Instead of doubling down on that support, they have now canceled the Good Will Program altogether

I had only 34,000 miles and 10 days out of warranty--this is my second Leaf (and i was already on the waiting list for the 2018). You'd think that this is the exact type of loyal customer to whom you would extend a helping hand, but after speaking to multiple representatives, their reply was simply that a faceless board has decided that this is over. No offer of a 90/10 or 80/20 split (as others have received in the past), no appeal, no human that I can speak to. Just over.

I am in Los Angeles and my effective range is now about 40 miles. I can't even make it to downtown and back.

An act of good will could have turned me into a loyalist and evangelist for life, but this instead has soured me on the whole company
Copy the right people and you might get somewhere:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

I think one of these bounces, but when I had an issue with the water pump, this got action taken on it and this was last year, so worth a shot.

wwhitney said:
edatoakrun said:
I wonder why Nissan suspended its out of warranty support program, when Nissan LEAF owners are so conscientious about caring for their battery packs?
The behavior being discussed is a rational response to an all or nothing warranty. A prorated warranty would have avoided any economic incentives for such games.

Cheers, Wayne
Nailed it.

If they engineered their battery properly or even fixed it after knowing their mistake, we generally would not even have threads like this. We have all suffered because they could have implemented a TMS.

They have chosen to continue to experiment with the public and offer us defective life shortened batteries. They could have instead experimented in the backfield to find a chemistry (if even possible) that would not need TMS.

Having cars that need replacement in a relatively short time is probably a concept that auto manufacturers and dealers would love if they could get away with it.

I hope Nissan will have the battery longevity problem fixed for 2019 and beyond because I want to see Nissan succeed in the BEV market. They make a very capable car in every other way. They also have brought the BEV to the masses, and I appreciate that...

My 5 year battery warranty is up today. No 4th bar drop....too bad Nissan didn't extend their "goodwill" program to the 2013 models or later. I guess I will just need to live with the limited range. Good luck to all the other Leaf owners out there who decided to purchase instead of lease. Dwindling battery range will be a challenge but I can make it work.

Watch my fourth bar drop this month...

SeasonsAfter said:
My 5 year battery warranty is up today. No 4th bar drop....too bad Nissan didn't extend their "goodwill" program to the 2013 models or later. I guess I will just need to live with the limited range. Good luck to all the other Leaf owners out there who decided to purchase instead of lease. Dwindling battery range will be a challenge but I can make it work.

Watch my fourth bar drop this month...
If it does, follow the advice in my previous post on this thread, one of them should be able to help.

alozzy said:
Why not email the Nissan execs that cmwade77 listed above? Might get you nowhere, but worth a shot for limited effort...

Don't bother emailing Carlos. He resigned from Nissan a year ago...

OK, I'm not getting here much lately, I did read things and maybe will try to add some possible reassurance to those losing the 4th bar.

I, here in Florida, lost the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th bar, and continued to drive it. (What was great was I'd get the 5 Star annual checkup, with the guys completely confused as it had lost 7 bars!!) I would have kept going, but I was at 59,973 miles, this was at about 4.5 years. In my opinion it is because the dealer left it out in the hot sun at 100% charge for the year they had it. But that's not important.

I hope people can somehow continue using their LEAF even when 8 bars or less. I know my situation was about perfect for this, as I'd commute 10 miles round trip, be home, recharge a bit, then commute 10 miles round trip again. However, I did, even at 7 bars lost, still go out for a "long drive." It would just make it to the L2 Charger in Zephyrhills, or the L2 and finally QC charger in Brandon. It ended up about 26 miles range from 100% to LBW. I never took it lower than this at 7 bars down, but I had early on taken it to the --- with just feet to go before connecting to an L2 charger.

In another thread, somebody was saying how impossible it was to have 73 miles on the GOM with 8 bars down, "unless you drive like grandpa," or something like that, calling the guy trying to sell his LEAF a liar so I guess he left the forum. I will say I probably did have 73 miles on the GOM with 8 bars down, ECO mode though, and I was driving like grandma. I'd accelerate slowly, keep momentum as much as possible at lights, and just generally go SLOW. It is really incredible how much farther you can go at lower speeds, and yes, I'd be a few minutes behind somebody else, but I did get there. There was another time, at 6 bars down I think, where I got lost, and ended up driving about 55 miles before I could recharge. I just don't know other people's needed range, but still, 55 miles, even partially on an expressway, is not too bad. It will take another year and a half or so to drop the couple more bars, depending of course on all the factors. The one problem got to be I was needing to keep it at 100% charge almost all the time, although I'm not remembering a huge increase in the degradation for the battery at that point.

Regarding the Klee "settlement," it was a legal atrocity. The judge was well intentioned but completely fooled. To allow a company to set the warranty at 8 bars, when THEY ARE THE ONES WHO PROGRAM THE BARS, is an outrage. It could have been an independent % battery capacity remaining, but they agreed on "around 70%" which in reality rounds out to 62% or so. Giving the LEAF that much more time before the bar drops. I've always wished somebody with either the legal prowess or the financial disposable income could sue Nissan on the basis of my theory that the capacity bars were reprogrammed with their required for the warranty software update.

Now, I did get the battery replaced, under warranty, and I've got the new one which is still going fairly good, better than the original one, but I still can see how unfair it is for others.

The last issue is I wish somebody would keep driving it until the pack just gives out, hopefully within the 8 years, if I remember, defective battery warranty. I'd love to see somebody collect for that. I was tempted, as within 3.5 more years I'd be down at the bottom of the pack, but of course that would be insane to pass up the warranty I was able to get.

wwhitney said:
edatoakrun said:
The behavior being discussed is a rational response to an all or nothing warranty. A prorated warranty would have avoided any economic incentives for such games.

Cheers, Wayne

It boils down to deliberately trashing a component in hopes of getting a new one for free. That's dishonest and fraudulent imho, but I realize I'm probably in the minority.

Nubo said:
It boils down to deliberately trashing a component in hopes of getting a new one for free. That's dishonest and fraudulent imho, but I realize I'm probably in the minority.

Some of the suggestions sound a bit that way, but a lot of us babied the battery by only charging to 80%, garaging the car, and avoiding extra DC charges, only to have the warranty terms penalize us for doing so. I turned my baby in because I was convinced I would miss the warranty and couldn't afford to eat the degradation. Otherwise, I'd have kept it forever. Anyway, except for shipping the car to Phoenix for the summers, it's not clear that any of the suggestions out there really make any difference.

Yep, I should have just babied the battery in hopes of getting a replacement. Oh well, I am still happy with this car. No trips to the gas station is great! I figure with the limited trips around town is the less limited range I can live with.

Sure wish Nissan still had the goodwill program. It sounds like from the forums is the battery is better at the degradation issue after April 2013 builds.

No gas outlay is grand. Keep up the fight all you out there looking for a replacement battery...ha

Nissan consumer affairs called me regarding the email I sent. Basically no help... The only suggestion the lady has was to go to a Nissan dealership and see what their financing department can offer for a new battery.

Spending $5k on a new battery for 30% more capacity seems a bit silly.

I will just hang onto the Leaf as it is. Limited range but charging at work and home will be fine for now.

Good luck to all you other Leafers out there. Doubtful any other owners will get assistance from Nissan going forward on their "goodwill program". Treating the 2011 and 2012 owners with respect and offering to pay for a new battery with 10%-20% out of pocket for early adopters was great for those who took the offer. 2013 owners don't receive anything other than a suggestion to get a new battery financed...

Thanks again Nissan for the dedication to your customers.

I am in line for a Sondors. I hope the Sondors enters into production and isn't in limbo like the Elio...

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/05/sondors-three-wheeled-ev-test-drive/

I f you are considering buying a replacement pack, as discussed off-topic on several threads lately:

Last Fall I got a written estimate for "24 kWh" pack replacement (~$6,200) which included the full warranties for the pack you got when you bought a new LEAF, as well as the 9 bar "capacity" warranty, issued later.

I was also given a written requirement to surrender my old pack, BTW...

Nissan starts exchange program in Japan. At 300,000 yen ($2,853), this might be a good deal for the older Nissan Leaf owners.

https://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/nissan-starts-exchange-program-nissan-leaf-batteries-japan/

SeasonsAfter said:
Nissan starts exchange program in Japan. At 300,000 yen ($2,853), this might be a good deal for the older Nissan Leaf owners.

https://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/nissan-starts-exchange-program-nissan-leaf-batteries-japan/

I hope they bring this to the US soon...I’ll be needing a replacement in 1 to 2 years!

Rktennis said:
SeasonsAfter said:

I hope they bring this to the US soon...I’ll be needing a replacement in 1 to 2 years!

No... because you should want a new battery not a used rebuilt battery.

Evoforce said:
Rktennis said:
SeasonsAfter said:

No... because you should want a new battery not a used rebuilt battery.

Yeah, after reading more into it, maybe it's not as exciting as I hoped. But, it may work for my needs. I'd rather spend 3k on a replacement even if it will last half as long as a new battery @6k.

Back