Where are the 2018's?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally picked up my two-tone SV with tech package. But it wasn’t the one I ordered, it was one I found at another dealer. Nissan really fouled up the process. Reservations that meant nothing and were a lower priority than stocking orders. There is still no eta on my order.

I’m pleased with the car though. Commuting has gotten really easy with e-pedal and ProPilot. I’m really impressed with ProPilot as it did a great job even at 3mph and faded markings. I knew that MobileEye is fantastic at this and the ProPilot version from them is a great move on Nissan’s part.

It’s comfortable. Not a stellar car if it didn’t have ProPilot. The technology is what sets it apart. Everything is acceptable and adequate. The interior quality is okay. Much more comfortable than the Bolt however.

I got a 200 mile range during my slog of a commute. I used to get 100 mile range with a eGolf and a 24kwh pack. However, it gets interesting because the eGolf was 21kwh usable. So what is the usable of the Leaf? Is it 40kwh?

I’m glad that the Leaf exists because after thoroughly trying all current EV’s, it is a great evolution and progression for EV’s in general.

I will be picking mine up today and like everyone else; Its not what I ordered and it would be at least another 30 days or more to get my first choice. I am now wondering what advantage was it to have ordered back the first week of September?

jhm614 said:
NJLeaf75 said:
I took delivery of a brilliant silver SL here in northern NJ on February 10, 2018.
Congrats! Any opinions yet?

Still a bit too early to talk in detail about it. What I can say is that in my opinion it looks much better than the older generation(s) Leaf. Most people I have shown the 2018 have commented that it looks like a "normal car" or crossover. I tend to agree. As for other items...thee is ample interior space and cargo space. The tech package is worth the extra money spent. It takes a few tries to get comfortable with the E-pedal, but once you do, you quickly start to realize how wonderful it is. That is particularly true when you are at s standstill on a hill and can remove your foot from the pedal. The Pro Pilot is fun and effective as well. It did not take me long to get used to it, since I have dynamic cruise control and lane keep assist on the Prime. That said, the Nissan's Pro Pilot keeps you dead center in the lane and you get confident with it quite quickly. Overall, the tech upgrades are what led me to choose the Leaf over the Bolt, and thus far I have not been disappointed. The only exception is the Nissan Connect EV app. It sucks. It is more buggy than Toyota's Entune app, which say a lot. I also don't like the pedestrian warning sound mechanism. I wish there was an on-off switch for that.

As for performance...everything you expect in an electric vehicle that has received torque and horse power increases. It is quick off the line and feels zippy even at 40 miles per hour. It eats electricity a bit more quickly than my Prime, but it is decently efficient. I get greater than the advertised 150 mils per charge (about 157 miles). I have not had any range anxiety since I only use the Leaf for local driving.

In short...better looking car...perky drive...ample interior space and cargo space...exceptional tech. The only negatives so far are the Nissan Connect App and the annoying sound used to warn pedestrians of your presence.

DaveinOlyWA said:
I will be picking mine up today and like everyone else; Its not what I ordered and it would be at least another 30 days or more to get my first choice. I am now wondering what advantage was it to have ordered back the first week of September?

None what so ever. No advantage at all.

I was emailed today and told my 2018 SV has landed in Vancouver, next step is the train to Ontario. They didn't tell me how long it will take -- any guesses?

They did give me my VIN.

I put a small deposit down in August, then chose my trim & colour in mid November.

The dealership here in Waterloo got their 2 show models and one customer order back around February 5th or 6th, I went for a test drive on Saturday the 10th. Back then the dealer said they knew they had a couple on the train but didn't know which orders, and that they'd have more by the end of February and in March. They don't expect to be getting anything other than pre-orders for a while and claimed that a new order now would be a 4+ month wait.

Well it took them too long for me. The Honda Clarity PHEV is now available and is an excellent match for my needs. I'll probably eventually get a 2019 Leaf sometime in 2022 to replace my 2013 assuming it lasts that long.

Why take reservations and orders and then not have those first delivered? Apparently Nissan thinks that will keep people on the hook while they bring in and attempt to sell the first arrivals to the eager buyers who weren't so committed as to place orders. Will it work? Only time will tell.

Picked up ours yesterday. Fully loaded SL. We liked the looks a lot more than Bolt. Test drove it thinking it would be a new strange experience coming from ICE. Wife and I both felt it was just a nice smooth riding “car” and we just really liked driving it.

App is really buggy / weird. Wife got it working on her phone after talking with support. Then she added me as another driver. I can get in from web portal but just get an “error” when I try to use the app. Then out of the blue I got an email this morning saying that I had cancelled the whole Nissan connect seriousXM subscription (which is free for 3 years and I most certainly did not cancel)

I do have a question regarding range that I can’t figure out. It says on window sticker that it uses 30 KWH to go 100 miles but then on the same sticker the range is listed at 151 miles and the battery is 40 KWH. Something doesn’t add up here. What miles per KWH do they use to calculate that total range? Without driving any different than I normally would, I’m getting about 2.7 per mile according to on board computer so does that mean my range is more like 108?

LeaferSutherland said:
Picked up ours yesterday. Fully loaded SL.
Congratulations and welcome to the forum!
LeaferSutherland said:
App is really buggy / weird.
Yep. Sucks. Always has. Nissan can't seem to get this right.
LeaferSutherland said:
I do have a question regarding range that I can’t figure out. It says on window sticker that it uses 30 KWH to go 100 miles but then on the same sticker the range is listed at 151 miles and the battery is 40 KWH. Something doesn’t add up here. What miles per KWH do they use to calculate that total range?
Good question! I think the answer is that the "30 kWh/100 miles" is from the wall and includes the losses in the on-board charger, while the range estimate is from the standard EPA range test, which is the most reasonable one in the world for EVs, IMO.
LeaferSutherland said:
Without driving any different than I normally would, I’m getting about 2.7 per mile according to on board computer so does that mean my range is more like 108?
Yes. Or even less. It could be due to use of the heater.

FWIW, I've never driven 102 miles on a single charge in our 2011 LEAF. 101 miles is the most I've done.

Thanks Reg. I was running heat, heated steering and heated seat. I also sat in driveway with heat on for about five minutes or so on that short trip, after resetting the KWH/Mile meter. I was running the heat but not going anywhere. Not sure if that “idle” time was included in the calculation or not. I’ll keep experimenting.

I’m not too worried about overall range. We don’t plan on taking it on any trips long enough to have to charge on the road. Typical use should be 15-25 miles most days. There is one place we visit once a month or so that’s 90 round trip so as it gets old we may have to run that one in eco mode or keep the heat off or whatever, or charge it there. Not something I’m going to be super concerned with.

LeaferSutherland said:
Not sure if that “idle” time was included in the calculation or not. I’ll keep experimenting.
It is. As soon as you reset the meter it starts accumulating miles and kWh and just shows the ratio. Even if you are not running the heat while sitting you can end up with some pretty low miles/kWh numbers this way.

LeaferSutherland said:
Picked up ours yesterday. Fully loaded SL. We liked the looks a lot more than Bolt. Test drove it thinking it would be a new strange experience coming from ICE. Wife and I both felt it was just a nice smooth riding “car” and we just really liked driving it.

App is really buggy / weird. Wife got it working on her phone after talking with support. Then she added me as another driver. I can get in from web portal but just get an “error” when I try to use the app. Then out of the blue I got an email this morning saying that I had cancelled the whole Nissan connect seriousXM subscription (which is free for 3 years and I most certainly did not cancel)

I do have a question regarding range that I can’t figure out. It says on window sticker that it uses 30 KWH to go 100 miles but then on the same sticker the range is listed at 151 miles and the battery is 40 KWH. Something doesn’t add up here. What miles per KWH do they use to calculate that total range? Without driving any different than I normally would, I’m getting about 2.7 per mile according to on board computer so does that mean my range is more like 108?

you reset trip computer every day?

The reality is you didn't actually drive the miles so you don't really have a clue what the range is. My trip computer starts low as well and slowly rises pretty much all day. Today it didn't but today was a 180 mile trip. It can only rise so much.

Range probably was down to about 130 miles of range in driving conditions from Hell. First off, there was NO plows in Thurston County so the first 30 miles of my drive was cutting thru 3 inches of snow. Then it was drag ass at 20 mph because no one knew how to drive on snow. FYI; E Pedal is a godsend for crappy icy road conditions. Passed maybe 20-25 ditchers but E Pedal was perfect. Not one single hint of losing traction all while using THE worst rated tires (on a gasser) you can buy inflated to 45 PSI (guessing and missed my target of 43...) Picked up passenger at mile 23 so naturally heat was on for the rest of the trip. 86 miles one way, had 45 on GOM. Return trip MUCH warmer (38º) and roads were clear and stopped to charge at mile 112 due to convenience more than anything. GOM lied to me saying I had under 20 miles left. loaded LS and was at 110 GIDs!

DaveinOlyWA said:
you reset trip computer every day?

That’s one way to put it. You could also say I reset my computer one time, total, since we owned it less than 24 hours. My reasoning was that I wanted the average power use to reflect real world driving instead of test drives at dealership where my wife and I both tested 0-60 performance and where we sat in dealer lot with car running for a long time while salesperson explained everything during demo and then again when we took delivery.

Today with just driving, in cold rain with heat on, radio, windshield wipers, heated seat etc. it calculated 3.3 which I don’t think is too bad.

On another note, this car is just an amazing pleasure to drive. So quiet and smooth.

All this talk about range anxiety but I think I’m having reverse range anxiety. As in every time I start my Silverado now I can’t help but think about the cost of that trip vs what it would be with Leaf. Never used to consider it that much. Just pull up to the pump and dump another $75 in the tank and keep driving. Also liberating is running up to the store to buy a gallon of milk. Always bothered me doing such a short trip with ICE, especially in winter, knowing how rough it is on engine to start it up in extreme cold just to make a short trip.

I passed on the LEAF I ordered last Tuesday, and now its already moved south to:

2018 LEAF
SL

EXACT MATCH
TOTAL MSRP *
$37,360

More Details

FUTURE NISSAN OF FOLSOM
916-238-3999
12610 AUTO MALL CIRCLE
FOLSOM CA 95630
149.1 miles from 96069
Filter for SLs and it's at the top.

https://www.nissanusa.com/buildyournissan/inventory/index?modelLineCode=LEF&lang=en&tool=overview-landing.inventory.link#

Looks as nice in those colors as I expected, but I was not in any mood to buy, due to recent experience with Nissan, and their agent.

More on BBB BS in the appropriate thread, eventually.

I'm having trouble with Destination Nissan in Albany NY. I'm trying to arrange to drive a 2018 Leaf with Tech Package. The salescreatures will respond to one email, then ignore the next one for several days, then repeat. I may have to just drop in, and do it an hour from closing so they don't try to grill me for hours. I wish we had a good dealer in this area.

So, I visited my dealership on Friday (about 150km away)... I've put a deposit down on the launch date, they just received their demo mid-last week... Spent close to two hours talking on financing options, test drove the demo (same model/colour as ordered)... Well,... I'm pretty sure I'm sold, he said one with my name on it is due for delivery sometime in the next two weeks...

He also mentioned he delivered two to customers already... So there's three at least that I know of floating around southwestern Ontario...

On a side note... Has anyone tried applying an employee discount on the new Leaf? They told me it was not eligible,... Wondering if anyone else had any luck...

Thanks,

nerk said:
So, I visited my dealership on Friday (about 150km away)... I've put a deposit down on the launch date, they just received their demo mid-last week... Spent close to two hours talking on financing options, test drove the demo (same model/colour as ordered)... Well,... I'm pretty sure I'm sold, he said one with my name on it is due for delivery sometime in the next two weeks...

He also mentioned he delivered two to customers already... So there's three at least that I know of floating around southwestern Ontario...

On a side note... Has anyone tried applying an employee discount on the new Leaf? They told me it was not eligible,... Wondering if anyone else had any luck...

Thanks,

Have employee discount thru truecar and it was like... $200? Hardly worth the trouble. Could have gotten like $3500 of a 2017 though!... (as if that was important. ;) )

They said that the car was already heavily discounted from the government ($14,000)... and High demand/Low volume being a new vehicle etc...

For a 2018 SL - $38k MSRP sticker, how much dealer discount can be expected?

Is it 3k, 4k, 5k?

How much you all are negotiating with dealers? I am interested on getting one. Need to know how much discount to negotiate for a 2018 Leaf.

nerk said:
Employee of who? Nissan has a VPP program: https://www.insidenissan.com/home.psp and https://www.insidenissan.com/home_nis.psp. Your company needs to be an affiliate or business associate with Nissan. My employer isn't.

https://www.choosenissan.com/ for your zip code lists some official Nissan incentives in your area.

One can try to look up the Edmunds TMV for the vehicle you're considering, in your area.

Back