Newbie Question!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LunaAvenue

Hello all!

I am super brand new to owning a LEAF, Carvana dropped it off Friday night! It's a 2015 SV with 40K miles that was previously registered in Georgia (Indiana here). It's showing 12 battery bars, but when I ran LeafSpy it showed the SOH at 84%, from what I understood is that a bar would drop at 85%? Would this mean there is something wrong with the battery if it is not reflecting properly? Or am I misinformed?

Since we have a week to decide if we want to keep the car, we are trying to figure out if this is actually a good car and worth the 13K it cost.

Any insights would be helpful, as now I am thinking I may not have done my due diligence before purchasing this car.

Thanks in advance!

The bar drop can happen a little under 85%, and in cold weather it may wait until warmer weather to happen - that's another way Nissan tried to mask battery degradation. Unless you wanted an 11 bar Leaf, return it.

- Thresholds have at least a 5% variation.
- the bar calculation belongs strictly to Nissan. It will not accept any other measurement or do conversions/benchmarks against other measures.
- sellers/dealers have been known to reset bar calculation. That trick lasts about a week with normal driving. To my knowledge that action does not fool Leaf Spy.
- 2015 is the year with the chemistry change for the 24 KWH battery. Comparisons should only be against that year and size.
- what is your LeafSpy AHr? Probably in mid 50’s? 12th bar drop can be at 52-55. If below that level and still have 12 bars, you may have issue ( see above).
- since your car is nearly 3 years old, your path to free battery replacement for 24 KWH is also something to watch. The Nissan Rule, no exceptions (people have missed it for being a week late or 10 miles over) is 4 bar losses before you hit EITHER 60 months or 60,000 miles. That replacement including install is worth about $6,000+. At worst case, you are 24 months or 20,000 miles from hitting wall before your 4th bar drops. To my knowledge the 2015 models do not have the latest 96 months/100k miles rules for 4 bar losses.
- the incentive can be perverse in that moderate temps (store below 85 degrees), not charging when hot, moderate Eco type driving habits can prevent you from getting a new battery that significantly extends useful life of vehicle.
- one other rule: you leave with one you came with. Replacement is exactly the model you have. Nissan could start making batteries with vibronium that fit your car, but not for you.

- one other rule: you leave with one you came with. Replacement is exactly the model you have. Nissan could start making batteries with vibronium that fit your car, but not for you.

Not quite accurate. All Nissan replacement batteries, for now at least, are the 2015 spec "Lizard" pack. This is a big upgrade for pre 4/2013 cars, and a small upgrade for later 2013 through 2014 cars.

How can you tell if the replacement is a Lizard. My replacement in November was clearly a 24KW as I expected. Other than improved capacity performance over period of time, any other ways to tell?

Back