One Week Review of 2018 NIssan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilly

Power, Performance & Range (4 out of 5); Power is good. Torque and acceleration is similar or better to an ICE vehicle in the same class. The car handles well and brakes are ABS with plenty of stopping power. This is no Tesla in performance. It doesn't have a "ludicrous mode" but it handles comparable or better than any economical hatchback in its price range with predictable cornering, good brakes and acceleration from 0-60 mph in 8 seconds. One thing I did not count on is the Leaf is very sensitive to driving style. If you drive like a maniac, then you'll only get 90 to 100 miles range out of the Leaf. If you drive like a granny, then you'll get 170 to 180 miles range out of it. I get less than 100 miles range while my SO gets over 170 miles range from the Leaf.

Comfort & Cargo Capacity (4 out of 5); This is smaller than the Tesla as the Tesla model 3 has a front trunk but the leaf only has a trunk. The Leaf is a comfortable car with a nice silent ride, like most EVs.

Technology (4 out of 5); Very impressive tech, but it doesn't have all the hardware for self driving, unlike the Tesla.

Cost of Operation (5 out of 5); This is where the Leaf shines. I spoke with some other Leaf owners and they pay approximately $100 to $150 per year in maintenance. A Tesla costs approximately $500 to 600 per year in maintenance: https://www.tesla.com/support/maintenance-plans-ms-mx

Conclusion (4 out of 5); The NIssan Leaf is the Miser's car. If you are a cheapskate, buy the Leaf. This is a 5 star car for you. If you are the kind of person who always has to have the newest iPhone, then buy the Tesla model 3. The Leaf would be a good, not great, car for you.

Thank you for your thoughts. Yes, the Leaf is a quiet, roomy, and economical car...

I disagree with you that the Leaf requires $150/ year of maintenance.. What "maintenance" are you referring to? I have my Leaf for over 3 years, 40K miles, and have spent ZERO on maintenance.... Just add windshield washer fluid and check the 12v battery monthly...

Nice views!

** LEAF has more storage than Tesla. BUT LEAF relies on high ceiling so Tesla wins on floor space for short item storage but LEAF wins on loadability with hatch. Not sure which is better as they both have their advantages but I would give edge to LEAF for "slightly" more versatility although I LOVE the frunk thing that allows me to store stuff out of the way of both passengers and thieves. (some will not know about it) and passengers for work is a common situation. FYI; Frunk NA on all wheel drive

The Maintenance thing? Well, hmmm. I am on Year 8 of near continuous LEAF ownership and total maintenance cost for the entire time does not add up to your annual estimate. But I do rotate my own tires (hardly a thing since many places will do it free if you have "any" business relationship with them) . FYI; Tesla maintenance is recommended and Nissan has a laundry list of recommended service items as well. I ignore Nissan's list and I will likely ignore Tesla's as well.

But when you look long term, the Tesla bill WILL pile up much faster. Things like tires are a HUGE difference in cost. So yeah, Tesla maintenance will be higher

I have not investigated the 2018's cabin filter yet but if its the same size as previous models that would also be an expense not spent. I have bought two over the years, one being nearly twice the cost of the other and now simply wash and dry them and rotate them in and out. Because of that, I change mine after every change in season. Pollen is a major issue here so changing right after the season is what I normally do.

So LEAF has edge in DIY items even for I who has minimal skills in the arena.

The reality is they are EVs which overrides most advantages against other modes of transport. You can't lose with either. The LEAF now has a range that is usable for all. How it holds up? Based in prelim observations, they have taken several steps to prevent another 30 kwh pack issue. Also more range provides more options so another tool to fight degradation.

Thanks so much for the review!
Regarding the different ranges you and your SO get...
Are they on similar routes?
Driving style does play a significant role, but I suspect variability of routes/driving conditions may play a role as well?

Zythryn said:
Driving style does play a significant role, but I suspect variability of routes/driving conditions may play a role as well?

both would involve same starting and end point so yeah, EVERYTHING makes a difference but not that much.

I suspect the climate control settings.

powersurge said:
Thank you for your thoughts. Yes, the Leaf is a quiet, roomy, and economical car...

I disagree with you that the Leaf requires $150/ year of maintenance.. What "maintenance" are you referring to? I have my Leaf for over 3 years, 40K miles, and have spent ZERO on maintenance.... Just add windshield washer fluid and check the 12v battery monthly...
The leaf owners I spoke with are quoting less than $600 in maintenance over 6 years. This includes a change of tires. You have not changed your tires yet. He also changed the windshield wipers. The owners who paid more than $600 in maintenance over 6 years also paid the dealer to look over their car periodically. I rounded up to $150 per year because I don't want anyone to buy a Leaf and then come back and post here a complaint, "It's all your fault. I am over budget!!!"

Your maintenance is probably going to be around $100 per year, on average, long term. If you are really unfortunate, it may approach $150 per year, if your name is Murphy. LOL.

Also, your long term average annual maintenance may be way more if you include battery replacement cost. The battery may cost $6000 to $9000, depending on how many kw you want and possible lower (or higher) battery prices in the future. I am not including battery replacement cost because I don't plan on replacing the battery. A battery degrades but doesn't go to zero so you can still use an older Leaf on the original batteries like a NEV or golf cart, only taking local trips with it. In other words, an old Leaf can still be used as a 2nd car or a teenager's 1st car.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Zythryn said:

both would involve same starting and end point so yeah, EVERYTHING makes a difference but not that much.

She drives mostly highway (60 hwy/40 city) and I drive mostly city. She uses the "ECO" mode and drives like a granny, never using the brake pedal by using the one pedal operation. I drive like a maniac and apply "gas" (accelerator?) and then brakes, repeatedly. I also use the heater. She just wears more clothes and leave the heater off. I turn on the radio. She leaves the radio off. I turn on the lights in daytime for more visibility. She leaves it off during the day.

P.S. She drives below the speed limit on the highways. For example, if the speed limit is 75 mph, she'll drive 60 mph. If the speed limit is 60 mph, she'll drive 45 mph.

lilly said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Zythryn said:

She drives mostly highway (60 hwy/40 city) and I drive mostly city. She uses the "ECO" mode and drives like a granny, never using the brake pedal by using the one pedal operation. I drive like a maniac and apply "gas" (accelerator?) and then brakes, repeatedly. I also use the heater. She just wears more clothes and leave the heater off. I turn on the radio. She leaves the radio off. I turn on the lights in daytime for more visibility. She leaves it off during the day.

P.S. She drives below the speed limit on the highways. For example, if the speed limit is 75 mph, she'll drive 60 mph. If the speed limit is 60 mph, she'll drive 45 mph.

yep, its heat.

I tried the drive like crazy option but using brakes is against my religion so I just stick to the "15 over" rule and it matters but nowhere near that much.

Heat matters THAT much though

DaveinOlyWA said:
The LEAF now has a range that is usable for all. How it holds up? Based in prelim observations, they have taken several steps to prevent another 30 kwh pack issue. Also more range provides more options so another tool to fight degradation.
I am having trouble keeping up with 2018 info coming out. Can you re-cap the 'protect the 40' changes?

jhm614 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
The LEAF now has a range that is usable for all. How it holds up? Based in prelim observations, they have taken several steps to prevent another 30 kwh pack issue. Also more range provides more options so another tool to fight degradation.
I am having trouble keeping up with 2018 info coming out. Can you re-cap the 'protect the 40' changes?

still working on specifics because every full charge I have done has had different parameters so still guessing at DoD but so will hold on that for now

But QC rate has slowed down. Instead of full charge rate to at least 75%, we are now seeing it dropping at around 55%. Its not a steep drop by any means but the hopes of having a full speed 30 min charge is not going to happen. I started a charge at 5% the other day and it had dropped to 36 KW by 30 mins. On my 2016, I would have not seen much if any drop from 45 + KW

Back