Installing DRLs on 2018+ Nissan LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRLeafEV

For 2018 LEAFs, there are no standard Daytime Running Lights on the S or SV trims (unavailable on S and must have a "Tech Pkg" on SV to get DRLs with LED headlights).

I'm looking for other DiY enthusiasts who can help share ideas about sourcing the best parts and installing DRLs on the 2018 (+) LEAF.

As soon as my car lands, I'll see what I've got under the hood and add my 2 cents, but I'm not an electrician or an electrical whiz, so feedback and ideas are most welcome.

FWIW, this method worked perfectly on my 2013 SV when I imported it into Canada from the US:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6134

It's probably different in the 2018 LEAF, but worth poking around a bit to see if you can find the same wires - only two are tapped into on the 2013...

RRLeafEV said:
... unless you know for a fact that 2013 installs are applicable to 2018 then please don't suggest that.

Even in 2018 an aftermarket 12V LED DRL will work if powered by 12V from the car ;) . All you need to do is to find a 12V point that turns on when the car is on, and tap into it. 60mA isn't going to overload any circuit.

@RRLeafEV Since the 2018 LEAF is only a few weeks old, what do you think the chances are that someone has already figured out the wiring for DRLs?

I posted the link to the older generation DRL wiring post because it might prove useful to someone who is willing to make an effort to figure this out for the benefit of the community.

Based on this under the hood photo of a 2018 LEAF, the box where the wiring mod was made is still there albeit in a slightly different location:

2018-Nissan-Leaf-motor.jpg

If you are expecting someone to post step by step instructions here, it's going to be a LONG wait.

alozzy said:
@RRLeafEV Since the 2018 LEAF is only a few weeks old, what do you think the chances are that someone has already figured out the wiring for DRLs?

I posted the link to the older generation DRL wiring post because it might prove useful to someone who is willing to make an effort to figure this out for the benefit of the community.

Based on this under the hood photo of a 2018 LEAF, the box where the wiring mod was made is still there albeit in a slightly different location:

2018-Nissan-Leaf-motor.jpg

If you are expecting someone to post step by step instructions here, it's going to be a LONG wait.

You did a GREAT job and the 1st gen instructions were very helpful to me and many others. But unless you know that it applied to 2018...

How do you know when someone will read my OP and have info of value? Short answer--you have NO idea.

I'm hoping that I can figure out the 2018 and post solutions myself. But 2 or more heads are better than none.

mod edit: I've trimmed the thread, please edit out any negative comments and try to get this back on track.

Back