Manual key not working

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neilman01

Had my first issue with my leaf today, my battery died so I had to use the physical key on the key fob to try and get in as the door was locked. Inserted the key on the driver side and turned both to the left left and right to try and unlock. Key turned fine both directions but I could not unlock the door. Any ideas why? Had to have AAA come out and unlock the door thru the window. 100% it’s the right key, the tumbler turns. Also the second issue is the charging port opener button to the left of the steering wheel doesn’t work, all the other buttons around it do but I cant use that button to open the charging port. Any help of either of these two things would be greatly appreciated. Trying to avoid a dealer visit.

Is it still under warranty?
Which battery died?
Has the charge port door opener been working?
If it is the correct key, and it turns the cylinder, something is likely disconnected in the door. You'll have to open the door up and fix it, or pay someone to do it.
Check all the fuses, and check the wiring to the back of the opener button.

The 12 volt battery died. It's a 2013 at 50,000 miles so not sure if still uber warranty. And no the button for the charge port inside the car has never worked since the day I received the car

I'd guess the physical key to unlock the door is almost certainly a mechanical linkage and as mentioned above, you will have to open the door by removing the interior door panel to see what is wrong.

The charging port is probably an electrical problem. I'd start by checking the voltage at the charge door actuator when you press the interior switch. If there is no voltage change, the problem is most likely in the wiring and fuses between the actuator and the switch. Or the switch is bad or has dirty contacts. If the voltage changes from 0 -> 12v (or whatever it should be) then you have a problem with the door actuator itself.

BTW, how do you open the charge port door without using the switch inside on the dash?

goldbrick said:
I'd guess the physical key to unlock the door is almost certainly a mechanical linkage and as mentioned above, you will have to open the door by removing the interior door panel to see what is wrong.

The charging port is probably an electrical problem. I'd start by checking the voltage at the charge door actuator when you press the interior switch. If there is no voltage change, the problem is most likely in the wiring and fuses between the actuator and the switch. Or the switch is bad or has dirty contacts. If the voltage changes from 0 -> 12v (or whatever it should be) then you have a problem with the door actuator itself.

BTW, how do you open the charge port door without using the switch inside on the dash?
You use the button on the key fob to open it by holding down the charge port button (if you have a key fob from a third party, this may look like a trunk release button)

Neilman01 said:
It's a 2013 at 50,000 miles so not sure if still uber warranty. And no the button for the charge port inside the car has never worked since the day I received the car
I don't understand why you never got that fixed while under warranty, assuming you received the car while still under the 3 year/36K basic warranty.

The car was bought used at 40k miles so no warranty. I fixed the key issue, it was a mechanical linkage maybe took an hour. Still can't figure out the charge port button. Not sure which fuses to check, any ideas?

Back