Leaf revival

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SageBrush said:
GerryAZ said:
Evoforce said:
Just remember, if your car is out of warranty, a replacement traction battery comes with only a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty.

According to the information I have read from Nissan, purchasing a new traction battery gets you a new warranty (8 years, 100,000 miles for defects and 5 years, 60,000 miles for capacity).
I would very much like to see that warranty.

That's very critical. It's likely that Nissan will treat a battery warranty replacement just as it does for any replacement part, i.e. one year.

SageBrush said:
lorenfb said:
SageBrush said:
I would very much like to see that warranty.

That's very critical.
Are you using 'critical' to mean important or another meaning ?

Sorry for not being more explicit, but that aspect of buying a replacement Leaf battery must be clearly defined, i.e. the warranty period
and determination procedure to be used to determine the battery's failure, must be defined on the part's estimate prior to one's purchase
and on the purchase invoice at payment time.

Unless Nissan has changed their traction battery replacement warranty, that is what I was quoted on a 24 kWh battery. 12 month/12,000 miles on a new 24 kWh traction battery replacement. If it has changed, or is different for larger sizes, I would like to know...

SageBrush said:
GerryAZ said:
Evoforce said:
Just remember, if your car is out of warranty, a replacement traction battery comes with only a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty.

According to the information I have read from Nissan, purchasing a new traction battery gets you a new warranty (8 years, 100,000 miles for defects and 5 years, 60,000 miles for capacity).
I would very much like to see that warranty. It sure would make the $6k battery cost more palatable.
If you buy a replacement battery for cash, it has to come with the same warranty as a new battery under the law. I believe this is a federal law, but it is possible it is a California law. The same is true of any replacement part you purchase from a car manufacturer. The only time they can provide less of a warranty is if they are giving you a replacement under the warranty, but the new warranty period cannot be less than the remainder of the original warranty period plus the time you were without the vehicle.

Now, if you install it yourself or have someone else beside the dealer install it, they do not have to provide a warranty on the labor and if faulty labor damages the part then they are not responsible. But otherwise if you purchase a new part, you get a new warranty. This is also printed on the back of every single repair receipt you get from a Nissan Dealership.

And yes, if you look through various threads on here and do a google search, ypu will see that you do get the same warranty as a brand new battery when you spend the $6,000. Now the trick is not every dealership is knowledgeable about EVs and warranties, so you do need to do your homework and make sure they give you the proper warranty in writting.

Evoforce said:
Unless Nissan has changed their traction battery replacement warranty, that is what I was quoted on a 24 kWh battery. 12 month/12,000 miles on a new 24 kWh traction battery replacement. If it has changed, or is different for larger sizes, I would like to know...
That would violate the law, purchasing a new part means the part must come with a warranty equal to or greater than the original part. This is on the back of every single service contract from Nissan Dealerships. As I said in my last post.

Here is a good article that talks about this:
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1111264_new-life-for-old-nissan-leaf-electric-car-battery-replacement-and-what-it-took/page-3

You can clearly see at the end of the article that you get a new warranty equal to the original warranty.

cmwade77 said:
Evoforce said:
That would violate the law, purchasing a new part means the part must come with a warranty equal to or greater than the original part. This is on the back of every single service contract from Nissan Dealerships. As I said in my last post.
I don't think that means what you think it means.

The wording protects your original warranty duration even if a repair is done. E.g., if you start with a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty on a new car and the engine dies the next day, the replacement engine will be warranted to no less than 3 years minus a day. If the replacement engine carries a one year warranty, that year will extend your protection if the original engine died sometime after the second year from car purchase has elapsed.

In short, the repair does not shorten your original protection.

SageBrush said:
cmwade77 said:
Evoforce said:
A really, it is indeed very clear and exactly as I stated.

SageBrush said:
cmwade77 said:
Evoforce said:

The wording protects your original warranty duration even if a repair is done. E.g., if you start with a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty on a new car and the engine dies the next day, the replacement engine will be warranted to no less than 3 years minus a day. If the replacement engine carries a one year warranty, that year will extend your protection if the original engine died sometime after the second year from car purchase has elapsed.

In short, the repair does not shorten your original protection.
No, that is a warranty replacement, if you buy a new part, it must come with a new warranty. As I said this may be a Califor is thing, but I don't think so.

Additionally,multiple people have indeed co firmed you get a new battery warranty when your purchase a new battery. Including in the article that I linked to and that is even what the Nissan Dealership told me when I asked.

LeftieBiker said:
It may well be that people who buy a new pack get the full warranty, while those who receive a free replacement get the one year warranty.

Nope!

If you get a replacement battery under warranty, It is good for the rest of the original car warranty or 12 months/12 miles, whichever is longer. That is what it was a short time ago.

I was also told that a purchased battery was 12 month/12,000 miles. If it has recently changed, I would like to see or hear proof of it. It doesn't surprise me that there is conflicting dealer information on this.

On a slightly different note, I did however hear from a fellow Leafer that he had talked to someone who had purchased a 40 kWh battery and had it installed into a older Leaf as a replacement.

cmwade77 said:
Including in the article that I linked to and that is even what the Nissan Dealership told me when I asked.
Show me a warranty on the replacement part. Anything else is hot air.

And do remember that nothing prevents Nissan from changing terms on later sales or playing with "9 bars."

On a slightly different note, I did however hear from a fellow Leafer that he had talked to someone who had purchased a 40 kWh battery and had it installed into a older Leaf as a replacement.

I heard the same thing, but it was a Citi car and a Tesla pack. ;-)

SageBrush said:
cmwade77 said:
Including in the article that I linked to and that is even what the Nissan Dealership told me when I asked.

Yes, as has been the case from what we've learned over time about relying on Nissan dealership info, i.e. it has proven to be of little value.

lorenfb said:
SageBrush said:
cmwade77 said:

Yes, as has been the case from what we've learned over time about relying on Nissan dealership info, i.e. it has proven to be of little value.
I found the letter that a Nissan Exec posted to this forum some four years ago announcing the battery replacement program for out of warranty cars. He explicitly stated that the purchased battery would carry a 5yr/60k mile degradation warranty. That would be good enough for me if we were talking Toyota, but Nissan ? HA. I trust that company about as far as I can throw it*, and of course time has passed. So even if it had been true 4 years ago, I would not presume it true today.

*That is not accurate. I actually trust Nissan -- to treat the customer like excrement.

SageBrush said:
lorenfb said:
SageBrush said:

I found the letter that a Nissan Exec posted to this forum some four years ago announcing the battery replacement program for out of warranty cars. He explicitly stated that the purchased battery would carry a 5yr/60k mile degradation warranty. That would be good enough for me if we were talking Toyota, but Nissan ? HA. I trust that company about as far as I can throw it*, and of course time has passed. So even if it had been true 4 years ago, I would not presume it true today.

*That is not accurate. I actually trust Nissan -- to treat the customer like excrement.

To continue to warranty a replacement EV battery as if it were in a new vehicle, results in a continuing and increasing liability for an
OEM automotive company. Only when a government requirement exists, e.g. an emissions system part, would an ongoing new type
warranty be provided. As an example, emissions systems related parts are typically warrantied for about 80K miles. If that same
part fails again within that 80K period, the part is still warrantied. Once out of the warranty periods, all replacement parts have typically
a one year warranty.

cwerdna said:
cmwade77 said:
And there are people who only drive 8,000 miles a year?
My mother's 07 Altima Hybrid (bought as a leftover 07 around Feb 2008) has under 50K miles on it (maybe not even 45K, will need to check later). If it had 50K, that's only 5K miles/year.
I drove that 07 Altima Hybrid today. IIRC, it had just over 44K miles on it.

Back