2019 Leaf specs revealed

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ISTM that the 2019 Leaf will be a direct competitor to the Bolt, at least on paper. They will have very similar performance, range, and price. Leaf gets an edge on charging though - the current Bolt only charges up to 55kW. 100kW DC charging would be very welcome.

Then there are the "other" factors which will result in a market for both. The Bolt will be the sportier-handling car, and the Leaf will be the softer family car.

TMS might make me return to the Leaf fold... But not if it were only for charging... I'm sure, like others, they would have logic to prevent TMS from completely discharging the battery so I don't see that as a real issue...

But I take all data from such leaks with a large grain of salt! We'll see what 2019 actually brings...

GerryAZ said:
I might be interested if active cooling is only for charging, but I don't want a battery that requires cooling while parked for extended time without being plugged in. I don't want to return to the office or airport after parking for 2 or 3 weeks to a car that discharged itself trying to keep its battery cool. The other specifications look really interesting.

The Leaf from eyeballing seems to have double the trunk space. Interior the leaf is wider, but the bolt is taller. Families with children will find the leaf bigger, but tall people might find the bolt bigger.

The Leaf does have roughly double the cargo area, with all seats up in both cars. The Bolt's cargo area looks like a Smart ED's in comparison, with the seats up. So does the Kia Soul EV's.

LeftieBiker said:
The Leaf does have roughly double the cargo area, with all seats up in both cars. The Bolt's cargo area looks like a Smart ED's in comparison, with the seats up. So does the Kia Soul EV's.

I would have to agree. We looked at a bolt again a couple weeks ago as we were suggesting various options to a friend who is going EV. We were at the Stealership with our smart 451 ED at the time. Yep. Thats the first thing he noticed, With the seats up the Bolt "trunk" looks pretty much like a smart cars "trunk". That may be enough for some. It wasn't for him. It was a quick visit. Not sure what he has decided but I think there will be a 2018 SL on order fairly quick.

Are you guys looking at Bolts with the false floor installed? That's not a fair comparison. Without the floor, the Bolt has 17 cu ft and the Leaf has 24 cu ft. That's less than 50% bigger, not 2x the size.

Also, my family of 4 finds the Bolt roomier than the 2012 Leaf. Sure it's not as wide, but it's much more open. There is feels like there is more legroom in front and in back (due to even more upright seating). Up front, there is much more storage between the driver and passenger.

Stanton said:
Agreed: I will definitely be "kicking the tires" on a 2019 Leaf. I've seen bits and pieces of everything there except the TMS: if it's for more than just "fast charging", I will be amazed.
Even if it's ONLY for fast-charging, I'd be sold.

kennethbokor said:
Heard from a source that Longer Range version of the new Leaf 2.0 won't be delivering till 2010. Should go on sale later next year.

I guess it will beat the 2011 LEAF then.
I don't know...the first 2011 LEAFs were also delivered in 2010. ;)

Also with regards to pricing, I'm guessing it will be +$6K USD or so more than 40kWh Leaf, to play at the <200 mile range club. Especially since it will have ATM (Active Thermal Management) and more goodies.

I'm guessing as well might be different battery chemistry again, maybe moving to more Magnesium with Artificial Layers to improve Ion flow on the Anodes. Also maybe some improvements to ProPilot (v2.0?), better cameras (especially that rear backup cam). Maybe even multi-link rear suspension for better ride/handling. More powerful single motor >110kW and possibly dual-motors (AWD) optioning.

There is so much more they could do for Leaf 3.0 that the pricing will have to reflect that. To compete with SR Model 3 @$35K, Nissan will have to step it up for that game.

My 2 cents.

RegGuheert said:
kennethbokor said:
Heard from a source that Longer Range version of the new Leaf 2.0 won't be delivering till 2010. Should go on sale later next year.

I guess it will beat the 2011 LEAF then.
I don't know...the first 2011 LEAFs were also delivered in 2010. ;)

Lol, yes I corrected my previous statement to reflect "2020" but that was a good read!

Back