Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
Now they need to get started on Estes Park so it's ready by summer, and they also need one in Granby or Grand Lake to provide access to R.M. N.P. from the other end of Trail Ridge road. I see they've also got permits for the I-94/I-29 to Winnipeg route, at long last.
The Estes Park Supercharger Station would be nice but isn't essential. With Boulder (coming soon) and Loveland, it is easy to visit Rocky Mountain National Park and continue on to Silverthorne, if desired, on a single charge. There is also quite a bit of L2 charging in Estes Park if a little bit of extra charge is needed. These mountain routes are all at slower speeds and at very high altitude, so they don't use charge nearly as quickly as blasting along on the Interstate at low altitude, IME. I could do Boulder to Silverthorne, via RMNP and Trail Ridge Road, quite easily in my S60, for example.

41145686902_f438bb6cc2_c.jpg

dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:
Now they need to get started on Estes Park so it's ready by summer, and they also need one in Granby or Grand Lake to provide access to R.M. N.P. from the other end of Trail Ridge road. I see they've also got permits for the I-94/I-29 to Winnipeg route, at long last.
The Estes Park Supercharger Station would be nice but isn't essential. With Boulder (coming soon) and Loveland, it is easy to visit Rocky Mountain National Park and continue on to Silverthorne, if desired, on a single charge. There is also quite a bit of L2 charging in Estes Park if a little bit of extra charge is needed. These mountain routes are all at slower speeds and at very high altitude, so they don't use charge nearly as quickly as blasting along on the Interstate at low altitude, IME. I could do Boulder to Silverthorne, via RMNP and Trail Ridge Road, quite easily in my S60, for example.

41145686902_f438bb6cc2_c.jpg
The thing is, some of us enter off I-70 from the southwest (can't remember if we took S.R. 9 from Silverthorne to Kremmling or U.S. 40 over Berthoud pass) and exit back out the same way after doing a fair amount of moving around inside the park. BTDT, and drove back to SLC via U.S 40 - they'll need SCs maybe in Kremmling, in Craig, maybe Elk Springs, in Dinosaur, Vernal, Duchesne and probably Heber City in addition to the already planned one in Steamboat Springs to finish that route, but the two gateway towns are the most important ones, as they'll get the vast majority of the traffic. Others will be coming in from Cheyenne or the east and won't want (and shouldn't have) to detour through Boulder. It's definitely better with Boulder than without, but putting SCs in immediately adjacent gateway towns that everyone has to enter and/or exit through (also eliminating any need to beef up charging inside parks) is the best option. Tesla has had Estes Park 'coming soon' for almost a year now IIRR, and for a change it would be nice for them to get a N.P. gateway SC ready in time for the summer vacation season as they did with W. Yellowstone, instead of afterwards as was the case with Jackson, Groveland and Fish Camp.

GRA said:
The thing is, some of us enter off I-70 from the southwest (can't remember if we took S.R. 9 from Silverthorne to Kremmling or U.S. 40 over Berthoud pass) and exit back out the same way after doing a fair amount of moving around inside the park. BTDT, and drove back to SLC via U.S 40 - they'll need SCs maybe in Kremmling, in Craig, maybe Elk Springs, in Dinosaur, Vernal, Duchesne and probably Heber City in addition to the already planned one in Steamboat Springs to finish that route, but the two gateway towns are the most important ones, as they'll get the vast majority of the traffic. Others will be coming in from Cheyenne or the east and won't want (and shouldn't have) to detour through Boulder. It's definitely better with Boulder than without, but putting SCs in immediately adjacent gateway towns that everyone has to enter and/or exit through (also eliminating any need to beef up charging inside parks) is the best option. Tesla has had Estes Park 'coming soon' for almost a year now IIRR, and for a change it would be nice for them to get a N.P. gateway SC ready in time for the summer vacation season as they did with W. Yellowstone, instead of afterwards as was the case with Jackson, Groveland and Fish Camp.
The vast majority of RMNP traffic is from the east, so Boulder and Loveland make that really easy. To me (and many others, I expect) Boulder is way more useful than Estes Park would be.

Of the ones you mentioned, I'd really like to see Vernal UT, because that would open up Dinosaur NM, as well as a shorter route to Wyoming. Otherwise, for northwest Colorado, Steamboat Springs figures to be enough for now (whenever it gets built). None of these are anywhere near the priority that Poncha Springs was, from my western Colorado local's perspective. That one was huge.

dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:
The vast majority of RMNP traffic is from the east, so Boulder and Loveland make that really easy. To me (and many others, I expect) Boulder is way more useful than Estes Park would be.

Of the ones you mentioned, I'd really like to see Vernal UT, because that would open up Dinosaur NM, as well as a shorter route to Wyoming. Otherwise, for northwest Colorado, Steamboat Springs figures to be enough for now (whenever it gets built). None of these are anywhere near the priority that Poncha Springs was, from my western Colorado local's perspective. That one was huge.
Vernal and Dinosaur both serve Dinosaur, although I agree that there's likely to be more traffic from SLC than the east, and I don't consider U.S. 40 a major priority for now; my list was describing the ultimate requirement. but I firmly believe you need Granby or Grand Lake plus Estes Park. Granby's at a major junction, Grand Lake's closer. Boulder and Loveland are both useful, but you really want the gateway SCs tucked as close as you can to the parks, so that no one ever has any range anxiety regardless of how much they're carrying/use HVAC/have degradation/rain/wind etc., and can just enjoy their vacation. Loveland's 30+ miles from Estes Park via U.S. 34 (closed due to snow now), and Boulder's about 37 miles, which I consider a bit far given the size of R.M. NP.

I consider Groveland (23 miles from the west S.R. 120 entrance of Yosemite) to be close to the limit given the similar east to west distance across Yosemite and the elevation gain, and if there were somewhere closer with a selection of restaurants I'd prefer that. Moab's ideal for Arches because it's 5 miles from the entrance station. It's also good for the northern part of Canyonlands because there's no through road, but a bit far for the Needles district (74 miles one way, and likely A/C use), especially if you come out and turn south towards Blanding (144 miles total) instead of back north towards Moab. An SC added in Monticello would help there.

Re Poncha Springs, the need for that one was so obvious that it's amazing it took so long. AFAIC, SCs eventually need to be at any town at (or close to) every major highway junction, just like gas stations are now. That density's obviously not going to happen for some years, but it's the goal that should be aimed for.

GRA said:
Vernal and Dinosaur both serve Dinosaur, although I agree that there's likely to be more traffic from SLC than the east, and I don't consider U.S. 40 a major priority for now; my list was describing the ultimate requirement. but I firmly believe you need Granby or Grand Lake plus Estes Park. Granby's at a major junction, Grand Lake's closer. Boulder and Loveland are both useful, but you really want the gateway SCs tucked as close as you can to the parks, so that no one ever has any range anxiety regardless of how much they're carrying/use HVAC/have degradation/rain/wind etc., and can just enjoy their vacation. Loveland's 30+ miles from Estes Park via U.S. 34 (closed due to snow now), and Boulder's about 37 miles, which I consider a bit far given the size of R.M. NP...
What range anxiety? When you have 200+ miles of range, driving from Loveland or Boulder to Grandby and back is so easy that I can't imagine why anyone would have range anxiety. Your weather fears are unfounded — for one thing Trail Ridge Road is closed in winter. What you overlook is that driving in a national park is done slowly and the range when driving below freeway speeds is vastly increased. Add in greatly reduced drag due to altitude and range just isn't a problem for trips of that sort. You are creating range anxiety where none would exist for any experienced Tesla owner.

dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:
Vernal and Dinosaur both serve Dinosaur, although I agree that there's likely to be more traffic from SLC than the east, and I don't consider U.S. 40 a major priority for now; my list was describing the ultimate requirement. but I firmly believe you need Granby or Grand Lake plus Estes Park. Granby's at a major junction, Grand Lake's closer. Boulder and Loveland are both useful, but you really want the gateway SCs tucked as close as you can to the parks, so that no one ever has any range anxiety regardless of how much they're carrying/use HVAC/have degradation/rain/wind etc., and can just enjoy their vacation. Loveland's 30+ miles from Estes Park via U.S. 34 (closed due to snow now), and Boulder's about 37 miles, which I consider a bit far given the size of R.M. NP...
What range anxiety? When you have 200+ miles of range, driving from Loveland or Boulder to Grandby and back is so easy that I can't imagine why anyone would have range anxiety. Your weather fears are unfounded — for one thing Trail Ridge Road is closed in winter. What you overlook is that driving in a national park is done slowly and the range when driving below freeway speeds is vastly increased. Add in greatly reduced drag due to altitude and range just isn't a problem for trips of that sort. You are creating range anxiety where none would exist for any experienced Tesla owner.
But you don't have 200+ miles of range if you make the shortest possible stop at an SC, do you? Even if you stay for 1/2 hour and charge to 80%, you've got to subtract your reserve from that as well as allowances for conditions etc. I repeat, I don't want anyone to suffer from range anxiety. With a 10% reserve and starting at 80% that 200 mile car is down to 140 before any other allowances. Putting SCs in the gateways eliminates any worries about being able to get where you want to go, how you want to go, including all driving around inside the park, and also minimizes time inconvenience.

I'm well aware that Trail Ridge is closed in winter. After all, so's U.S. 34 east of the park. I've driven Trail Ridge in early summer in a thunderstorm and gotten rained/hailed and possibly (I forget now, I think it might have been a day or two later when we hiked up a peak) snowed on at the summit, while carrying 3 men and 1 woman plus a week's worth of gear. Both heat and defrost were in use most of the way. And not all national park driving is at slow speeds (whatever the speed limit may be), although the altitude certainly helps. You should see people bombing through Yosemite on 120 (done it myself on occasion when I was just passing through, late at night when there's no traffic, and definitely not during deer season) - it's 54.2 miles and about 5,000 feet of climb from the west to east entrances on 120, the speed limit's a max of 45 with zones of 35 and 25, and yet times under an hour are typical. Even with non-through traffic, people speed; 50-55 is common, except where the road won't allow it or in areas with lots of people. Now, you could say running out of energy is a good reason for people not to speed and I agree, but barring a major change in human attitudes that's unlikely to be acceptable to large numbers of people.

When you have 200+ miles of range and access to a dependable charging network, you don't have range anxiety at all.

dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:

Is t it great getting EV advice from somebody who has never owned any EV, and parrots every hydrogen news blip?

GRA said:
But you don't have 200+ miles of range if you make the shortest possible stop at an SC, do you? Even if you stay for 1/2 hour and charge to 80%, you've got to subtract your reserve from that as well as allowances for conditions etc. I repeat, I don't want anyone to suffer from range anxiety. With a 10% reserve and starting at 80% that 200 mile car is down to 140 before any other allowances. Putting SCs in the gateways eliminates any worries about being able to get where you want to go, how you want to go, including all driving around inside the park, and also minimizes time inconvenience.
80%? Where are you coming up with these numbers? If I need more, I charge more — it's not a big deal. If I need to drive down to 5% I do that (5% is a lot of miles by my 2012 LEAF standards!). You are making artificial limitations that have no basis in the reality of a typical Tesla driver. Tesla provides the tools needed to forecast the energy needed to make a particular trip and then gives real time information about the remaining energy expected at the destination — it is a spectacularly powerful tool and very easy to use. It makes trips quite easy. You are creating "range anxiety" where none exists. It just doesn't work like that.

Last November I needed to make trip legs of 180 miles — Farmington to Albuquerque — in my car with about 186 "rated miles" of total range at a full charge. I Supercharged to 97% and made it in both directions without difficulty, mostly driving at or just below the speed limit, but adjusting as needed. It is old hat for me in my unusually short range Tesla. In the newer, longer range cars, including the coming Model 3SR, a trip like that would be trivial. You really need to take a road trip in a Tesla to see how the nav and energy tools really work.
I'm well aware that Trail Ridge is closed in winter. After all, so's U.S. 34 east of the park. I've driven Trail Ridge in early summer in a thunderstorm and gotten rained/hailed and possibly (I forget now, I think it might have been a day or two later when we hiked up a peak) snowed on at the summit, while carrying 3 men and 1 woman plus a week's worth of gear. Both heat and defrost were in use most of the way. And not all national park driving is at slow speeds (whatever the speed limit may be), although the altitude certainly helps. You should see people bombing through Yosemite on 120 (done it myself on occasion when I was just passing through, late at night when there's no traffic, and definitely not during deer season) - it's 54.2 miles and about 5,000 feet of climb from the west to east entrances on 120, the speed limit's a max of 45 with zones of 35 and 25, and yet times under an hour are typical. Even with non-through traffic, people speed; 50-55 is common, except where the road won't allow it or in areas with lots of people. Now, you could say running out of energy is a good reason for people not to speed and I agree, but barring a major change in human attitudes that's unlikely to be acceptable to large numbers of people.
Even 50-55 mph is a slow speed by road trip standards. At that speed a Tesla gets substantially better than rated mileage. That was the point I was trying to make. The slower you go, the farther you can go on a charge. Driving in the mountains off of the Interstates usually involves slower speeds that dramatically increase range over the rated miles "par." Throw in the bonus of reduced drag from high altitude and noodling around a place like Rocky Mountain National Park (or anywhere else here in the Rockies) is really quite easy.

dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:
80%? Where are you coming up with these numbers? If I need more, I charge more — it's not a big deal. If I need to drive down to 5% I do that (5% is a lot of miles by my 2012 LEAF standards!). You are making artificial limitations that have no basis in the reality of a typical Tesla driver. Tesla provides the tools needed to forecast the energy needed to make a particular trip and then gives real time information about the remaining energy expected at the destination — it is a spectacularly powerful tool and very easy to use. It makes trips quite easy. You are creating "range anxiety" where none exists. It just doesn't work like that.
The point is to minimize inconvenience and maximize flexibility, so that people are free to use as much or as little of their SoC range as they wish. Jeff Dahn has recommended that for best longevity a Tesla's SoC range should be limited to 30-70% for routine use. Some people won't care, and will use 10-100% as a matter of course, others will wish to adhere to Dahn's limits whenever they don't have to exceed them to get where they're going, and others will be somewhere in between. Now, we both agree that the majority of traffic entering the park will be through Estes Park, and much of it undoubtedly will be regional from the Denver - Ft. Collins area. No one's going to stop in Loveland or Boulder to chargeon the way up because they're simply too close, but Estes Park is far enough away with enough of an altitude gain to make it a reasonable stopping place for a short charge, whether outgoing or return.

dgpcolorado said:
Last November I needed to make trip legs of 180 miles — Farmington to Albuquerque — in my car with about 186 "rated miles" of total range at a full charge. I Supercharged to 97% and made it in both directions without difficulty, mostly driving at or just below the speed limit, but adjusting as needed. It is old hat for me in my unusually short range Tesla. In the newer, longer range cars, including the coming Model 3SR, a trip like that would be trivial. You really need to take a road trip in a Tesla to see how the nav and energy tools really work.
That you had to do that just demonstrates that the leg needs to be shortened by increasing SC density. The fact that you can push the car that far doesn't mean that it's a good idea, or that everyone is willing to make the compromises that you are. Adding density improves capacity, flexibility and convenience, and as BEVs currently lack both range and 'refueling' speed compared to ICEs, they need to add density.

Here's the thing: can you give a good reason why you wouldn't want an SC in the places I've indicated, in addition to Boulder and Loveland? IMO, SCs (and QCs generally) have a prima facie case to be located at any town at/near a junction of two or more interstates, U.S. and/or primary/through state highways, and which contain a gas station and restaurant or else two restaurants within walking distance of each other, unless there's a very good reason not to, as well as gateways to recreational attractions. This is obviously an end goal, but it accurately reflects how gas stations are deployed, and why would we want BEVs to offer fewer and less convenient 'refueling' options than ICEs, when they're already less convenient for road trips? Priority certainly needs to go to those locations which expand coverage into new areas and/or which will see the most traffic; Granby is the former type, and Estes Park the latter. Both are way stations rather than destinations (which Steamboat Springs is, and IMO L2s are more appropriate there), and people who are just transiting tend to spend as little time in way stations as possible, so let's enable that.

dgpcolorado said:
Even 50-55 mph is a slow speed by road trip standards. At that speed a Tesla gets substantially better than rated mileage. That was the point I was trying to make. The slower you go, the farther you can go on a charge. Driving in the mountains off of the Interstates usually involves slower speeds that dramatically increase range over the rated miles "par." Throw in the bonus of reduced drag from high altitude and noodling around a place like Rocky Mountain National Park (or anywhere else here in the Rockies) is really quite easy.
Sure, going slower reduces energy use and climbing thousands of feet increases it, while altitude lowers drag. Those factors aren't in dispute. I am being accused of basing my comments on an artificial conditions, but I've used EVtripplanner to run the numbers for S60s through Yosemite from Groveland to Tuolumne Meadows, Tioga Pass, Lee Vining and Mammoth Lakes and back in all likely conditions with a variety of loads. It can be done, but especially for the longer trips it's pushing it in some conditions, especially if you do any driving around in the local area. abasile, who like you owns a used Model S and has driven it through Yosemite on 120, has indicated a desire/need for in-park charging in Yosemite, and while I'm okay with that if it's absolutely essential, the Park Service would prefer to avoid that, and I'm in ideological agreement with them. Gateway SCs eliminate the need for in-park L2s.

Again, why should you be forced to push if there's no need? What is in dispute is the rationale for SCs - are they to be so spaced so that people must navigate from one to the next by flight planning, or do we want them spaced so that the average person, who simply doesn't have to bother with that in an ICE, can just get in their BEV and drive, knowing that the refueling infrastructure will be there regardless of how their plans or conditions may change? If BEVs are to become mainstream, it must be the latter.

GRA said:
...Again, why should you be forced to push if there's no need? What is in dispute is the rationale for SCs - are they to be so spaced so that people must navigate from one to the next by flight planning, or do we want them spaced so that the average person, who simply doesn't have to bother with that in an ICE, can just get in their BEV and drive, knowing that the refueling infrastructure will be there regardless of how their plans or conditions may change? If BEVs are to become mainstream, it must be the latter.
Sure, more would always be better. However, the cost is considerable and there are other places besides Granby and Estes Park that I would consider higher priority — for example Burns OR, or some similar location. As National Parks and Monuments go, Rocky Mountain NP is now pretty well covered. How about Hanksville UT or Torrey UT (Capitol Reef NP)? I'd also like to see the trans Canada highway filled in, even though the middle part likely wouldn't get much traffic and I, personally, wouldn't use it.

Would I like to see US 550, which I used to get from Farmington to Albuquerque, covered better (Supercharger Station in Cuba NM)? Sure. But don't forget that my car is quite a bit lower range than any Tesla produced in recent years, including the coming Model 3SR, so all others would have an even easier time than I had. I simply point out that it isn't all that difficult to do longer trip legs without your artificial constraints. You can suggest that one shouldn't charge to near 100% but as long as one does so right before leaving, and the car doesn't remain at a high SOC, it shouldn't harm the battery in any significant way. Same with driving down to 5% — charge up over 20% right away and don't worry about it. The car is intended to be used, not kept in a museum.

Yes, I'd like to see Supercharger Stations in every town and at every freeway exit, the way gas stations are located now. That isn't going to happen, for the time being. Nevertheless, I am amazed at how widespread and easy to use the current Supercharger network is. You can look for reasons to avoid EVs because the charging infrastructure isn't perfect for your use case and that of some other drivers. I will continue to enjoy using it as best I can right now and be pleased as each new addition makes yet another trip even easier. In my opinion, and that of some other Tesla drivers, Supercharger road trips are downright fun, not some daunting obstacle to be overcome only when absolutely necessary.

There are some trips that can't be done in current EVs — I can't do Imogene Pass, 13,114 feet, because it requires a high ground clearance vehicle but, then, a Subaru couldn't do it either. I can, however, drive to Tucson, San Diego, Yellowstone, or Seattle, with ease, no "flight planning" necessary — the car knows where all the needed charging stops are and how much charge is needed to get to the next one. That's plenty good enough for me.

dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:
...Again, why should you be forced to push if there's no need? What is in dispute is the rationale for SCs - are they to be so spaced so that people must navigate from one to the next by flight planning, or do we want them spaced so that the average person, who simply doesn't have to bother with that in an ICE, can just get in their BEV and drive, knowing that the refueling infrastructure will be there regardless of how their plans or conditions may change? If BEVs are to become mainstream, it must be the latter.
Sure, more would always be better. However, the cost is considerable and there are other places besides Granby and Estes Park that I would consider higher priority — for example Burns OR, or some similar location. As National Parks and Monuments go, Rocky Mountain NP is now pretty well covered. How about Hanksville UT or Torrey UT (Capitol Reef NP)? I'd also like to see the trans Canada highway filled in, even though the middle part likely wouldn't get much traffic and I, personally, wouldn't use it.
You know from my TMC post that both Hanksville and Torrey (and a lot of others in the Four Corners area) are on my wish list. Trans-Canada also needs to be done, but at least it looks like they're getting the I-94/29 to Winnipeg leg done first, and as the Winnipeg metro area has a greater population than the entire state of North Dakota (and Fargo's the biggest city), that will at least open one route south and east off the Canadian plains, if indirect. Connecting Winnipeg/Regina etc. to Calgary and Edmonton should probably precede Thunder Bay and points east.

dgpcolorado said:
Would I like to see US 550, which I used to get from Farmington to Albuquerque, covered better (Supercharger Station in Cuba NM)? Sure. But don't forget that my car is quite a bit lower range than any Tesla produced in recent years, including the coming Model 3SR, so all others would have an even easier time than I had. I simply point out that it isn't all that difficult to do longer trip legs without your artificial constraints. You can suggest that one shouldn't charge to near 100% but as long as one does so right before leaving, and the car doesn't remain at a high SOC, it shouldn't harm the battery in any significant way. Same with driving down to 5% — charge up over 20% right away and don't worry about it. The car is intended to be used, not kept in a museum.
More power to you if you choose to use it that way; others will have no wish to. One of the earliest owner recommendations for no worries range was 2/3rd of rated miles, and I think that's a good starting point from which people can adjust for their own personal driving style and conditions .

As for likely ranges of the Model 3 SR, did you see C&D's range test of the LR @ 75 mph? I'm not sure that your statement about the SR's much longer range (degradation aside) will be valid:
The high recommended tire pressure of 45 psi seems partially to blame for this racket, but letting some air out would result in a decrease in efficiency and driving range.

That latter metric, although a crucial one for any EV, is prone to such a large degree of variability that it’s difficult to gauge exactly how disappointing the Model 3’s result is in our real-world 75-mph highway fuel-economy test. Our calculated range of 200 miles is far below the EPA’s overall estimates of 310 miles in combined driving and 293 miles in highway driving, but it was certainly affected by the 28-degree-Fahrenheit ambient temperature. Two similar tests of a Chevy Bolt, the Model 3’s closest EV competitor, revealed a difference in observed range of more than 25 percent between a 56-degree and a 36-degree run (190 miles versus 140 miles against an EPA-estimated highway range of 217 miles).
https://www.caranddriver.com/tesla/model-3

As stated this is at 75 mph at relatively cold temps, and slower speeds should do better (varies from about 30 miles less/5 mph at slower speeds down to about 15 miles/5 mph at higher ones when using heat in the S), but cold temps can be encountered in mountainous areas almost year round - I saw 23 degrees@ 7:00 am in September of 2016 at Tuolumne Meadows (8,600') and got snowed on lightly that afternoon, and I often see teens in mid-Octobe, especially on the east side. I've run EVtripplanner ranges through Yosemite for the S60 at 0, 32, 50, and 70 degrees, using heat when needed, and that really sucks the range. The Model 3 cabin is smaller than the , and it's not a hatchback so it shouldn't use as much power for HVAC, and hopefully anyone who's worried about that drain is going to avoid the pano roof.

dgpcolorado said:
Yes, I'd like to see Supercharger Stations in every town and at every freeway exit, the way gas stations are located now. That isn't going to happen, for the time being. Nevertheless, I am amazed at how widespread and easy to use the current Supercharger network is. You can look for reasons to avoid EVs because the charging infrastructure isn't perfect for your use case and that of some other drivers. I will continue to enjoy using it as best I can right now and be pleased as each new addition makes yet another trip even easier. In my opinion, and that of some other Tesla drivers, Supercharger road trips are downright fun, not some daunting obstacle to be overcome only when absolutely necessary.
I'm not looking for reasons to avoid BEVs, the reasons exist and currently rule them out for me. Once that's no longer the case, I can consider them more positively for myself and people who have similar requirements. For those without those requirements, I'm happy to recommend them when they are a good fit, and as BEV range, affordability and charging infrastructure all improve I'm willing to recommend them to an ever growing number of people, far more than was the case with sub-100 mile cars.

dgpcolorado said:
There are some trips that can't be done in current EVs — I can't do Imogene Pass, 13,114 feet, because it requires a high ground clearance vehicle but, then, a Subaru couldn't do it either. I can, however, drive to Tucson, San Diego, Yellowstone, or Seattle, with ease, no "flight planning" necessary — the car knows where all the needed charging stops are and how much charge is needed to get to the next one. That's plenty good enough for me.
As I posted on TMC and here, I still can't visit a lot of the "Four Corners" area that I had in ICEs, barring hunting out RV parks and other places I have no wish to spend my precious recreational time in; I want to get to Glacier as well, but can't do that yet either, and I'm holding off that and other out-of-state trips until I can. I just wish that my holding off hadn't already been forced to stretch over 5 years, and looks like it may go a few more yet.

GRA said:
...More power to you if you choose to use it that way; others will have no wish to. One of the earliest owner recommendations for no worries range was 2/3rd of rated miles, and I think that's a good starting point from which people can adjust for their own personal driving style and conditions .

As for likely ranges of the Model 3 SR, did you see C&D's range test of the LR @ 75 mph? I'm not sure that your statement about the SR's much longer range (degradation aside) will be valid: ...
The Model 3 SR will have significantly longer range than my car, better efficiency at higher speeds, and faster Supercharging. Over the trip leg I was talking about — Farmington to Albuquerque — one doesn't (usually) go "75 mph" and the consistently high altitude stretches range beyond what one would normally expect. Interstate highways, where 75 and 80 mph speed limits are common, tend to have Supercharger Stations plenty close enough for a Model 3 SR to blast along without difficulty.

I mentioned it in a previous post, but here's a Tesla driver's eye view of a trip leg:

41393923932_2d678981c0_z.jpg

In this case the nav system had originally estimated that I would arrive with 38% but two thirds of the way through the trip leg the estimate had increased to 42%, due to relatively slow speeds of mostly 45 to 60 mph and moderately high altitude (9970' to 4600'), meaning reduced drag. This estimate adjusts in real time based on the actual energy used compared to the original projection and will advise a slower speed, if necessary, to make the destination. The map plot zooms in on the destination automatically as one approaches it, no fussing with it needed. It makes road trip legs quite easy. Navigation can be initiated by voice command: "Navigate to Gateway Colorado."

It appears that Colorado agrees with my take and is going to build out virtually all the routes/sites on my wish list, so the need for Tesla to build SCs on these is much reduced. They'll be 150 kW CCS/CHAdeMO, so Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter will be needed and won't put out full power unless they upgrade the design. See GCC:
Colorado issues $10M RFA for private sector partners to build fast charging stations along major highway corridors.
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/04/20180412-colorado.html

There's a map. Among the 33 sites are Estes Park (U.S. 34/36/S.R. 7); Granby (U.S. 34/40/S.R. 125, provides access to/from Rawlins & Laramie); Steamboat Springs/Craig/Dinosaur (U.S. 40); Empire (I-70/U.S. 40) [Note: Actually Georgetown, 4 miles south @ Cty. Rd. 381, Guanella Pass Rd., which provides seasonal access to/from U.S. 285 at Grant. Empire is 2 miles from the I-70/U.S. 40 junction, and the RFA requires no more than 1 mile without very good reason]; Vail (I-70/U.S. 24); Rifle (I-70/S.R. 13, provides access to Craig and Dinosaur); Montrose/Gunnison/Salida/Canon City/Pueblo (U.S. 50); Fairplay (U.S. 285); Conifer (U.S. 285); Alamosa (U.S. 160/285); Cortez/Durango/Pagosa Springs (U.S. 160); Silverton (U.S. 550). About the only ones I'd add would be South Fork, Ridgway and Leadville, and I always thought those would be follow-ups, and Poncha Springs seems better than Salida. They've got all the rest. Now, will Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, and Wyoming step up as promised in the REV West plan, and go beyond the interstates as Colorado has?

https://www.colorado.gov/governor/s...west_plan_mou_10_12_17_all_states_final_1.pdf

Among the wider implications of QCs in Estes Park, Grandby, Empire [Georgetown] and Vail is that QC-equipped sub-100 mile BEVs based anywhere in the Denver Metro area can easily access Rocky Mtn. NP with a single QC in Estes Park or do the loop through it (Denver/Estes Park/Granby/Empire [Georgetown] or vice versa) with two or three, and they can also reach all the downhill resorts on or near I-70 with QC'ing in Empire [Georgetown] (including destination charging at the resorts in some cases), or use Vail as well for the resorts there or west of it.

This Farmington to Albuquerque route is the one I travel the most in my non local driving although I start in Colorado so the one-way distance is about 250 miles. I figure on adding a 10-15 minute stop in Farmington to make the trip in a Model 3 SR. Since we stop for 5-10 minutes anyway in an ICE, the net additional travel time is around 5 minutes.

THAT is what a Tesla allows. Today.

I would hate to drive that trip in a '18 LEAF with its crippled DCFC. Of course it is not possible since there are no DCFC along the entire route.

GRA said:
You will be pleased to learn that Tesla has had a "stealth" Supercharger Station under construction at Estes Park (at the Stanley Hotel). According to those who found it, all that remains is the installation of the transformer:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/supercharger-estes-park-co.114229/

Might be up and running by June and likely well before the Boulder Supercharger Station goes live.

RegGuheert said:
I thought that Bjørn did a good job with those etiquette suggestions. Most are common sense but several might be unknown to new owners, such as the stall pairing and advice not to charge to 100% — I've come across owners who didn't know about stall pairing, for example.

dgpcolorado said:
I've come across owners who didn't know about stall pairing, for example.
Yes, me too. I had someone pull into the paired stall next to me when all the other stalls were empty.

And you have to read the labels on the stalls: the older SC in Albany has them arranged 1A 2A 3A 4A 1B 2B 3B 4B. :(

And finally, the urban SCs don't have pairing; each has an independent 72kW.

The suggestion about saving the nose-in stall for a X with trailer was something new I learned. I had wondered why newer SC sites had one space like that.

Back