2018 first real world range test- disappointed a little

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Air friction is directly proportional to speed. If you drive twice the speed to cover the same distance, it will take twice the power. Physics. Works the same way in an ICE.

I don't think this is correct at speeds in which air resistance is a real factor. I think it would be more like 4X the power needed to drive 70MPH as 35MPH, and maybe more.

LeftieBiker said:
Air friction is directly proportional to speed. If you drive twice the speed to cover the same distance, it will take twice the power. Physics. Works the same way in an ICE.

I don't think this is correct at speeds in which air resistance is a real factor. I think it would be more like 4X the power needed to drive 70MPH as 35MPH, and maybe more.
Talking only about air resistance Vs speed, the change in energy/distance is quadratic and the power is cubic.

Also, and I don’t think this can be stated too many times, there is a diffence between kilowatts and kilowatt hours. Even if you’re talking about the capacity of your battery with regard to range, people will get confused if you’re not paying attention when you type it and make an error. They will think you’re talking about kilowatt minutes or days for example.

LeaferSutherland said:
Also, and I don’t think this can be stated too many times, there is a diffence between kilowatts and kilowatt hours. Even if you’re talking about the capacity of your battery with regard to range, people will get confused if you’re not paying attention when you type it and make an error. They will think you’re talking about kilowatt minutes or days for example.

Ya know, your EV ownership will be enhanced by a a deeper understanding of the the effects of wind, rain and defroster use on power consumption ... or you can take a time out and go pout in a corner.

oh sorry. I thought it was a joke. Like this had devolved into us all posting the exact same information that has already been posted over and over and pretending as if it was new Info.

Rest assured, there is zero information that I need to learn from you all about this car at this point. Got the lingo now I think. Always understood all of the information about energy use, wind, heat, defrost, etc. learned that the radio uses very little power comparatively so that was valuable. I read most of the other info posted in this forum before we bought the car so feeling pretty good. Thanks for your concern though.

LeaferSutherland said:
Lastly, would you really do that? Run an uncomfortable cabin temp for other passengers while you’re nice and warm using seat heat that they don’t have available to them? Seems like a dick move to me.
Both of my EVs have rear seat heaters, and if I regularly had rear passengers in the car I would not by an EV without them. Just another thing to be disappointed at in the 2018 LEAF.

FYI, aero drag increases by the square of the velocity so even small increases in highway speed increases required force to overcome that drag dramatically.

alozzy said:
FYI, aero drag increases by the square of the velocity so even small increases in highway speed increases required force to overcome that drag dramatically.
At speeds between 60 and 75 mph the Aero component is ~ 1/3 -- 2/3rds of the total forces, depending on CdA and actual speed. Consider a 10% increase in speed in conditions where Aero is half of the total: Aero increases 1.1^2 = 1.21 while fuel consumption per mile increases about 1.21/2 or about 10%. It is actually a little more for reasons most people do not care about; the point I wish to make is that the graph is less curved than you might guess.

SageBrush said:
@Reddy,

Your post of the EPA test is correct but you neglected to mention that the Monrooney (sp?) sticker incorporates a 30% discount off the raw results. That is why the highway fuel economy is said to represent 65 mph driving (on dry roads, etc.)
Thanks, I didn't know that.

Thanks for posting OP. Your driving experience using your "18" leaf I found informative. You were very close in range to what I had felt were going to be more realistic range numbers for a 150 mile rated Leaf. In fact, dead on with what I had extrapolated and posted about previously. The best guessing that was done was based on previous model Leafs and perceived performance of traveling at freeway speeds of around 65 MPH. I sure wished that you could have held out for the 2019 Leaf which I think (hope) will be a better car to own. It remains to be seen if Nissan will truly step up its game. I am glad that you still will be able to use this car for shorter trips but I am sorry it might not be ideal for your medium and longer trips. Good luck!

Hello all, we live in the UK and run similar spec Leaf to the US.
I'm interested to see a lot of opinions on heated seats and steering wheel and power consumption. Just to clear this up, these run from the 12v side of the electric system so have no impact on range. And...... Before some of the 'experts' try to correct me, I work at the plant in the UK where leaf is built.

We're on our 2nd leaf (30kw) and just about to order a new 40kw. Looking forward to see what 60kw is like when it comes out over here later next year.

Good forum, keep it up!

No one claiming to be an "expert" here thinks that those accessories affect range significantly. You are confusing the questions and misconceptions of new EV drivers with the knowledge of more experienced drivers.

+1 on what Leftie said.
Realev said:
I'm interested to see a lot of opinions on heated seats and steering wheel and power consumption. Just to clear this up, these run from the 12v side of the electric system so have no impact on range.
Just because it comes from the 12 volt side doesn't mean it doesn't come ultimately from another place, the big HV battery via the DC to DC converter. As for whether it'd affect range, it'd be minuscule (and likely not measurable) due to their tiny power consumption vs. what's needed to propel the vehicle.
There's no source of free energy.

(http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=523427#p523427 posted some heated seat power consumption figures. Compare that to somewhere well over 10 kW just to maintain highway speeds.)

As many of us already stated, it's more efficient to heat the seats than the cabin.
Realev said:
We're on our 2nd leaf (30kw) and just about to order a new 40kw. Looking forward to see what 60kw is like when it comes out over here later next year.
Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not "kw".

24 and 30 kWh Leafs had 80 kW motors. 40 kWh Leafs allegedly have the same motor but improved output to 110 kW supposedly via inverter improvements.

Realev said:
Just to clear this up, these run from the 12v side of the electric system so have no impact on range..
Any particular power draw being discussed may be a small or a larger amount, but energy pulled from a 12v is replenished from the traction battery while the car is running.

Realev said:
I'm interested to see a lot of opinions on heated seats and steering wheel and power consumption. Just to clear this up, these run from the 12v side of the electric system so have no impact on range. And...... Before some of the 'experts' try to correct me, I work at the plant in the UK where leaf is built.

Good forum, keep it up!

I've got an '18 SL with about 12k miles on it since the first of July. It was 24 degrees F this morning and the telematics showed a change of 4 miles in range if the HVAC system were switched off. I generally have the HVAC set at 67 degrees F and use the seat heater on low, even this morning. My commute is a mix of interstate and two lane highways of 57 miles (each direction) and I usually get to work with approximately 50% charge left.

I'll also note that I've added a fairly large stereo system to mine with no quantifiable change in power consumption. I've checked the current draw during high load situations and it still peaks at approximately 60A.

Assuming you have your stereo pulling peak amps for a full hour, you'd use 12V x 60A x 1hr = 720Wh, or .7kWh so roughly a 2% pack loss per hour. Of course, there will be some DC-DC conversion, but close enough.

Back