2018 leaf analog speedometer . Whadayathink?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jlv said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XIG4h0VFq6VbXsNbYBspFqnPKlR3Acb_Lg/view?usp=sharing
Nissan has multiple ways to display the speed and they don't agree? :shock:
tenor.gif

Well... "technically" only the speedometer shows the speed. The "65" you see is the Cruise Control set speed (although the speedometer reads the same nearly all the time... )

If the small digital "speed" display only shows the cruise control setting, then it is nearly worthless. Are you sure of this, or are you guessing?

EDIT: according to page 2-27 of the owner's manual, there is no digital speed display other than average speed. The display that Orient Express told us was a digital speedometer if just a display of the cruise control setting, as Dave wrote. Lovely. If GM wasn't about to recall many or all of the 2017 Bolts for battery issues, I'd be jumping ship at this point.

jlv said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XIG4h0VFq6VbXsNbYBspFqnPKlR3Acb_Lg/view?usp=sharing
Nissan has multiple ways to display the speed and they don't agree? :shock:

It looks to me like they both report 65MPH. I would ascribe the reported "discrepancy" to misunderstanding of parallax.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax#Metrology

In this case the "needle" has extra "meat" behind it, extending towards the dial face to help the driver visualize the actual reported speed. Also, the location of the camera seems to be at more of an angle than the driver's viewpoint would regularly be.

LeftieBiker said:
There is only one instant speed display - the analog gauge. See my post above.

I understand that. But since cruise was set at 65, one might wonder why the analog speedometer was "showing 67MPH". I was trying to point out that the picture doesn't show that.

Agreed, it doesn't. I only looked briefly at it when it was posted. I have yet to perceive a different speed on my digital speed display, though, because of the viewing angle.

LeftieBiker said:
Agreed, it doesn't. I only looked briefly at it when it was posted. I have yet to perceive a different speed on my digital speed display, though, because of the viewing angle.

It's a nit. Most people can accurately read a dial and either intuitively or by training, account for parallax.

You don't perceive discrepencies because your digital display so confidently proclaims the speed as an absolute in big friendly digits. But of course it is constantly tossing information in order to do so.

In practice either method is more than accurate enough for driving of course. But that takes all of the fun out of arguing. :lol:

Analogue dial is always better than digital. Watch or speedometer. It is more premium look and easier to read. No more digital jumping all the time in front of your eyes. A true upgrade from the old Leaf. Good thing Nissan didn't try to save money by using a digital.

LeftieBiker said:
So we bring back analog wrist watches, then? Real men know what the hands are saying!

They never went away. I wear a Citizen Eco-Drive diver's watch. It's analog except for the date display which is too small for me to read anyway :). The movement is digital of course. It's a refreshing alternative to things like Apple Watch which must be constantly tended to. This watch should run 20 years or more before it finally needs to be opened to refresh its solar storage cell.

A-Review-of-Citizen-Mens-BN0000-04H-Eco-Drive-Watch.jpeg

On my "B" the center can be set to many functions. I usually set it for a digital speedometer display. I find it more convenient than the analog display on the left.

GlennD said:
On my "B" the center can be set to many functions. I usually set it for a digital speedometer display. I find it more convenient than the analog display on the left.

Yes, and we had thought that the Leaf Too had the same capability...

Personalty I like to know that I am going 38MPH inatead iof looking at the needle and guessing.

If I only had the analog display I am sure that I could adjust. My ice loaner had the same features and I set it for a digital display. I think all current Mercedes are that way. After all it starts as digital info and it is then converted into an analog display. It is no big deal to display the digital info.

My old ice cars had no digital display and I lived with it. I get spoiled with the available features. The speedometer was purely analog and it ran from a cable connected to the transmission. Speedometer shops used to change the gearing to calibrate it.

Personalty I like to know that I am going 38MPH instead of looking at the needle and guessing.

Yes, although the leaf with 16" wheels actually reads a reliable 2MPH high. I use that to set the cruise control for 47 or 48MPH indicated, 57, etc.

As I recall my SL with Michlon 17 inch tires was pretty accurate. It agreed with my GPS unit. But that car is long gone in favor of my first "B" The totaled one.

Getting more fustrated with Nissan's decision not to use a Digital Speedometer in their 2018 model. Unless they change back to digital in 2019 or 2020, I'll consider the Chevy Bolt which I expect to be similarly priced with the Leaf upgraded battery. I have heard of others similarly frustrated on Youtube making a similar decision.

OrientExpress said:
Do you mean the 2018 Nissan LEAF with the ability to display speed in an analog and digital mode simultaneously?

How do I get digital speed display and battery temperature at the same time?

Also, when is Nissan going to implement "hill top reserve" or some other method to charge to less than 100%?

WetEV said:
How do I get digital speed display and battery temperature at the same time?

You don't. Battery temp is a secondary display. Simply set the battery metrics screen the way you like it, and then use the < > toggles on the left steering wheel controller to toggle back and forth.

WetEV said:
Also, when is Nissan going to implement "hill top reserve" or some other method to charge to less than 100%?

Ask Nissan, I don't think they have found a need for it.

Back