2018 LEAF Vs Tesla Model 3 SR: A Comparison Table for the USA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding Hill:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Hey long time no hear!

I am quite frankly shocked that you did not jump to Tesla a long time ago. Of all the people I expected, you were near the top of the list.

So are you getting a 3?
He did. He has a Model S.

hill said:
SageBrush said:
.......snip...... It's just amusing to read someone even more blunt.
well the shrinks point out the different stages in our thinking that allows for a mental paradigm shift in our thinking. When confronted with facts that fly in the face of our thinking we (in typical order) ;ere are way too many shrinks in my family?
:D
I think you are paraphrasing Kubler-Ross' Stages of Grief.
I've been exposed to my fair share of psycho-babble too.

iPlug said:
Regarding Hill:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Hey long time no hear!

I am quite frankly shocked that you did not jump to Tesla a long time ago. Of all the people I expected, you were near the top of the list.

So are you getting a 3?
Yep. I presume he just keeps the LEAF around to get pissed off on demand.

iPlug said:
Regarding Hill:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Hey long time no hear!

So are you getting a 3?
my better half wanted to replace her 10yr old Hybrid Lexus SUV, but cars fell off the back burner when she got cancer. I promised her a tesla when she survived chemo. So sure enough - she passed her cancer free years & bam. Model S.
4 weeks after picking up the S she sez, "i'm soo sory but it's too low & i like being up hi like in the Lexus SUV". $20K depreciation on a 4wk old S, & another big check to Tesla, & for the past year - she's now sportin' the X ... cuz unlike the S or 3, she needs to sit up hi. (please kill me)
:shock:
-wEjp8dE-TyCIGujSii4CpqD2tfj2BeFd-Hb234laD5ejp9PH8IOmvIHyFNsO1FHmlH1EUNVa-X0lcY35B0vkY0PzSHqmb5QY6iCzx1Rrm6VCUJ-VPIB3CZFUlXu58qSwsiSQQTjrw=w1634-h919-no

Sure, Leaf pack's turn to poo way to quick. If we put a new $5,000 battery in it, we'd have a $3,500 car. No point. But hey - who knew! The depreciation on the 4wk old Tesla wasn't as bad as our Leaf.
:lol:
So, being a DIY'er, & since there a lots of junkers in the salvage yard now, perhaps it'd be worth putting in a salvage pack when retirement creeps up in a couple years. Give it to the daughter as a 2nd car. It IS a nice peppy golf cart after all, once the heat kills a bunch of the range.

Yes! It's been a while since posting regularly. And my heart goes out to all the newer owners. I often wonder if there are any other of the 1st 1,000 U.S. owners here, that still have their original 21kWh cars - now most likely only ~15kWh's .... or has the pathetic range chased 'em all away. In stead of babying the thing all these years, I should of driven normal. At least then we'd have the Lizard pack as a warranty replacement. maybe we'd still have 65 miles of range now, in stead of 50 on a good day. I'm over the exasperation caused by Corporate Nissan's EV shenanigans - selling the Leaf w/out being more up front about capacity loss. Heck - I still have my 2010 Leaf mouse pad - stating their 1st BS ... of a 100 mile range. Go Nissan.

hill said:
she's now sportin' the X ... cuz unlike the S or 3, she needs to sit up hi. (please kill me).
This half of why my wife won't give up the 2016 CRV; the other half is that she's holding onto the ICE "just incase" of a long unexpected trip. :cry: Although she now drives the S regularly when she makes a 200 mile round trip to the trapeze school.

I wonder why you didn't just get rid of the LEAF and keep the S for yourself.

my better half wanted to replace her 10yr old Hybrid Lexus SUV, but cars fell off the back burner when she got cancer. I promised her a Tesla when she survived chemo. So sure enough - she passed her cancer free years & bam. Model S.
4 weeks after picking up the S she sez, "i'm soo sory but it's too low & i like being up hi like in the Lexus SUV". $20K depreciation on a 4wk old S, & another big check to Tesla, & for the past year - she's now sportin' the X ... cuz unlike the S or 3, she needs to sit up hi. (please kill me)
Heart-warming story.

You are a better man than me. If my wife declares the same I am going to buy a pillow with my initials embroidered on it for her to use in the car.

Seems AWD option should be listed in the chart as that may be important to some.

hill said:
iPlug said:
Regarding Hill:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Hey long time no hear!

So are you getting a 3?
my better half wanted to replace her 10yr old Hybrid Lexus SUV, but cars fell off the back burner when she got cancer. I promised her a tesla when she survived chemo. So sure enough - she passed her cancer free years & bam. Model S.
:shock:
-wEjp8dE-TyCIGujSii4CpqD2tfj2BeFd-Hb234laD5ejp9PH8IOmvIHyFNsO1FHmlH1EUNVa-X0lcY35B0vkY0PzSHqmb5QY6iCzx1Rrm6VCUJ-VPIB3CZFUlXu58qSwsiSQQTjrw=w1634-h919-no

Sure, Leaf pack's turn to poo way to quick. If we put a new $5,000 battery in it, we'd have a $3,500 car. No point. But hey - who knew! The depreciation on the 4wk old Tesla wasn't as bad as our Leaf.
:lol:
So, being a DIY'er, & since there a lots of junkers in the salvage yard now, perhaps it'd be worth putting in a salvage pack when retirement creeps up in a couple years. Give it to the daughter as a 2nd car. It IS a nice peppy golf cart after all, once the heat kills a bunch of the range.

Yes! It's been a while since posting regularly. And my heart goes out to all the newer owners. I often wonder if there are any other of the 1st 1,000 U.S. owners here, that still have their original 21kWh cars - now most likely only ~15kWh's .... or has the pathetic range chased 'em all away. In stead of babying the thing all these years, I should of driven normal. At least then we'd have the Lizard pack as a warranty replacement. maybe we'd still have 65 miles of range now, in stead of 50 on a good day. I'm over the exasperation caused by Corporate Nissan's EV shenanigans - selling the Leaf w/out being more up front about capacity loss. Heck - I still have my 2010 Leaf mouse pad - stating their 1st BS ... of a 100 mile range. Go Nissan.

Thanks for the update! Kudo's to the Better Half for KO'ing Cancer!

Seating position was also important to as my old age tells me that climbing out of a car was not going to work long term. That is the one knock that took a few choices off the table and one reason why I liked my LEAFs.

the other was simply give away lease deals Nissan had to employ to move vehicles. Bad for them, good for me. As far as batteries goes? Up until the 2018, managing them was easy.

The 2018 is still a puzzle I am trying to work out. The usual actions I employed previously to maintain battery numbers are not working here so not sure if its a more realistic BMS I am seeing or I haven't yet stumbled on the correct ingredient. Either way, I am changing jobs to one with MUCH less take home in a completely different field but with benefits I desire in other areas so... probably not the greatest idea but its not like my current job had all that much going for it anyway.

Life is an adventure!

P.S. Love that Priuschat bumper sticker!

Looking more like the $35k MSRP Model 3 won't show up until around the start of 2019.

http://www.hybridcars.com/standard-tesla-model-3-may-still-six-months

Our friends wanted to join the EV fray and had put down a deposit on day 1 and were holding out for the $35k version to get the $7,500 federal tax credit. I told them then it was not going to happen, but they weren't convinced.

Didn't want to do the "told you so thing", but they figured it out a couple weeks ago and were compelled into the up sale to get the tax credit. They were upset at having to pay so much more, but now that they have the ride they are quite pleased with their Model 3. I got to take it out for a spin - it's a pretty nice ride.

iPlug said:
Looking more like the $35k MSRP Model 3 won't show up until around the start of 2019.

http://www.hybridcars.com/standard-tesla-model-3-may-still-six-months

Our friends wanted to join the EV fray and had put down a deposit on day 1 and were holding out for the $35k version to get the $7,500 federal tax credit. I told them then it was not going to happen, but they weren't convinced.

Didn't want to do the "told you so thing", but they figured it out a couple weeks ago and were compelled into the up sale to get the tax credit. They were upset at having to pay so much more, but now that they have the ride they are quite pleased with their Model S. I got to take it out for a spin - it's a pretty nice ride.
Did you mean to write "Model 3" rather than "Model S"? Either would constitute an upsale, but the context implies you were talking about them getting a 3LR rather than a 3SR.

GRA said:
Did you mean to write "Model 3" rather than "Model S"? either would constitute an upsale, but the context implies you were talking about them getting a 3LR rather than a 3SR.

Meant to write Model 3 both times, not just the first. Edited now. Yes, they wanted the SR, not the LR.

iPlug said:
Looking more like the $35k MSRP Model 3 won't show up until around the start of 2019...
How many here actually believe that TSLA will deliver SR packs in quantity by January '19?

iPlug said:
...Our friends wanted to join the EV fray and had put down a deposit on day 1 and were holding out for the $35k version to get the $7,500 federal tax credit. I told them then it was not going to happen, but they weren't convinced.

Didn't want to do the "told you so thing...
I don't mind...

SageBrush said:
edatoakrun said:
edatoakrun said:
This entire thread ha been a delusional exercise, in that a Tesla Model 3 SR does not actually exists at this time.
Anybody who put down the $1k deposit still have a 2018 delivery date estimate from TSLA on a SR?

Do you still believe that will happen, at ~$36k?

When?
Yes
Yes
H2 2018
EVDRIVER said:
edatoakrun said:
Fanciful comparison of the LEAF you can buy today to TWO presently non-existent model 3s:
Standard: $35,000

Long Range: $44,000
scottf200 said:
Detailed comparison table in this article.
compare-model-3-nissan-leaf
http://www.xautoworld.com/tesla/compare-model-3-nissan-leaf/
You don't quit do you...
Even if-and-whenever the SR pack 3 is released, will TSLA really cut another $5k from list for the base model, to get the delivered price down to ~$36K?

And if so, will it be so base to the point of being basically crap?

Ed, you may not be familiar with the free market but Tesla seems to be getting plenty of demand based on what they are doing now. That may change but in the present everything you say and post contradicts what consumers want and what they are willing to pay. The internet is full of people that don’t get what they want or back into poles. What is your goal on this thread, to convince more than a quarter million people you are right and they are wrong? Or is it that you like others are just upset you won’t get the tax credit and won’t buy a 3 and you are a better money manager? Perhaps you just like to be a maverick. You almost have me and .000001% of the people convinced.

Lastly why do you give crap about Tesla or the Model 3?

EVDRIVER said:
Ed,
Lastly why do you give crap about Tesla or the Model 3?

Indeed. The heyday of the the LEAF and by extension MNL are long gone. Now most posts are from a small group of degenerate Tesla trolls.

So true, the Tesla trolls posting link after link about Tesla and hyping non-facts, etc. couldn’t be more true. They are clearly degenerates. Anyone notice this is a Tesla model 3 thread where most of the anti Tesla info being posted and responded to comes from non-Tesla owners, a minority that are upset about their inability to order for some reason or other which is now all about Teslas demise and wicket ways as a business. I wonder whey they don’t just stay out it this thread? Those Tesla trolls are also comprised of long time LEAF owners and advocates, Tesla degenerate trolls for sure. I suppose if a few were not dumping constant hate garbage here it would not be an issue however it is very revealing to see how a few people can be so anti anything that has no impact on them personally in any way. It's a car, buy it or move on, it's not out to destroy society, at least I have not seen that article yet.

Back