IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Re: Share Your Home Electrification/Efficiency Improvements

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:23 pm

I'd like to switch to as much solar heat and solar electricity as possible.

But with temperatures as low as -40° during the winter I don't think a heat pump with resistive heat as a backup would cut it. I'd like to continue using natural gas (which would he much cheaper than electricity off the grid) or wood for backup heat. But I'd also like to first put that heat, be it wood or gas, to a steam engine to generate electricity when the sun is scarce, and using the waste heat to heat the house.

Of course I've started where it counts the most by adding more insulation and better windows first.
2013 SL SOLD :cry:
1972 VW Beetle SOLD :cry:
1984 VW Golf diesel CURRENT :x
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid CONTEMPLATING :shock:

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:48 pm

I'm a big proponent of heating/cooling the person rather than the house. Next winter we are going to see if a couple of nice battery heated vests will keep us comfortable at a lower overall temperature in the house.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:00 pm

SageBrush wrote:I'm a big proponent of heating/cooling the person rather than the house. Next winter we are going to see if a couple of nice battery heated vests will keep us comfortable at a lower overall temperature in the house.

Very Very Very true!

I set my thermostat to 40°F for the most part and use a heated mattress pad and a sweater, long underwear, etc. Now I'm spending less than $50 per month on gas in an early 1970's house with less than 1inch of insulation where many of my friends are paying 5 or 6 times that with similar sized homes and much better insulation!

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:09 pm

IssacZachary wrote:
SageBrush wrote:I'm a big proponent of heating/cooling the person rather than the house. Next winter we are going to see if a couple of nice battery heated vests will keep us comfortable at a lower overall temperature in the house.

Very Very Very true!

I set my thermostat to 40°F for the most part and use a heated mattress pad and a sweater, long underwear, etc. Now I'm spending less than $50 per month on gas in an early 1970's house with less than 1inch of insulation where many of my friends are paying 5 or 6 times that with similar sized homes and much better insulation!

You are hard core! I don't think my thermostat goes anywhere near that low. If we are comfortable at 50-55F I'll be really happy. Sounds like our home might be a bit better built and it does have excellent heating from the windows so the gas heating only becomes a high consumption issue on cloudy days.

We rent, so my options are limited. I'd love to install a double wall and much better windows. And get rid of the miserable NG boiler and radiant heating. Bloody inefficient mess.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:57 am

IssacZachary wrote:I set my thermostat to 40°F for the most part and use a heated mattress pad and a sweater, long underwear, etc. Now I'm spending less than $50 per month on gas in an early 1970's house with less than 1inch of insulation where many of my friends are paying 5 or 6 times that with similar sized homes and much better insulation!

That is truly hard core :mrgreen: Our house in the mtns was sometimes 40ish when we had nothing but wood heat and were away all day but once we got propane and a thermostat, it was never that low.

And 1" of insulation? Wow! When we bought our house here in town (built in 77) it had 3 1/2" of fiberglass in the ceiling. I thought that was nuts. We now have about 18" of cellulose up there. We had it blown in during a hot day in the summer and the inside temps dropped about 10 degrees 'instantly'. Huge difference and I'm sure it's repaid the cost multiple times over since.

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:31 pm

Well half of the house, namely the bathroom and bedrooms, still have 1" fiberglass in the walls and ceiling as well as the entire floor has that too. But I'm working on not only filling up the walls and ceiling and eventually the floor but also I've added another 1 1/2" of foam board sandwiched between the studs/rafters and the drywall. So far I've got the living room and kitchen done. I'm not looking forward to getting in that crawl space to do the floors though.

Zythryn

Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:01 am

iPlug wrote:
Zythryn wrote:...Heat pump technology for our heating, cooling, domestic hot water and clothes dryer...

Over in PriusChat, I think you mentioned a couple years ago that you got a ventless Whirlpool model? Any issues with the dryer? We have been hoping there would be more competition joining the fray of heat pump dryers, but not really any new players in the last couple of years. When our electric dryer goes, we definitely would like to go heat pump and probably Whirlpool if they remain one of the few games in town.

Zythryn wrote:PV with batteries.

Everything running smoothly with the PowerWall batteries? I think you mentioned there were some bugs to work out initially. Really nice to have that buffer/storage.

The dryer is working great! We don’t use it often, pretty much just bedding and towels.

Regarding the PowerWall batteries, while they work, we are still having the same issues. They charge very sporadically, cutting in an out. Charging them takes 2 to 3 times as long.
Discharge is very smooth and the ability to easily change how much is reserved for backup and how much is used when the sun goes down is wonderful.
Better than I expected.

The installer has been in touch with Tesla Energy. The current line of thought is that a wireless connection doesn’t have a solid connection, so they are going to hard wire it.
Previous owner of Prius, Volt, Leaf & Model S
Current owner of Model 3
http://www.netzeromn.com

Phatcat73
Leaf Number: 401511

Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:26 am

There are some interesting developments in IL with regard to renewable energy mandates. As a result, just received a quote to cover 110% of our energy usage on a 1 year net scale. We'll produce more solar than we need in the summer which can carry over to the winter months where we have less day light.

Quick rounded paper napkin math:
$30k for Panasonic 10kwh production system (25 year warranty) - considered one of the best panel manufacturers
less $10k federal tax credit (30%)
less $15k IL Solar incentives

About 5K for the solar deal after the incentives. This ties into the states goal to jumpstart renewables and with the interconnection agreement to the Utilities allows them to fulfill this quota by subsidizing home owner solar install. Anticipated utility bill will fall from $120/month to $15/month (flat rate interconnection fee).

ROI is about 5 years. Panels are warranted to 25, however typical life span is 40 years. Anticipated property value increases by $30k as well.

We also have LED lights everywhere, a Nest thermostat, some areas of the house with motion sensing light switches and auto timers. Our garage and electrical panels have been upgraded and we also preemptively installed 2 EVSE's in the garage due to available IL benefits a couple years ago. (50% rebate for parts and labor for EVSE install - that included panel upgrades)
2018 Tesla Model 3 AWD - Delivery Nov
2016 SV; leased 20-Jan-17, 18k, 87% SOH; 4-July-18
2015 S; purchased 29-July-14, moved to AZ Nov-2014, 22k, 82% SOH; 01-Mar-18
Solar Array: https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/pv/public_systems/VHKv1444344/overview

iPlug
Delivery Date: 25 Apr 2016

Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:54 pm

Those are incredible Illinois incentives.
2016 Leaf SV (leased) + 2012 Plug-in Prius (own), 11.43 kW Solar PV (16 MWh/yr actual production), Clipper Creek Level-2 7.7 kW charging stations x2, 20.5 SEER/13.0 HSPF ducted air-source heat pump, 3.70 UEF heat pump water heater

RegGuheert
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926

Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:56 pm

Phatcat73 wrote:There are some interesting developments in IL with regard to renewable energy mandates. As a result, just received a quote to cover 110% of our energy usage on a 1 year net scale. We'll produce more solar than we need in the summer which can carry over to the winter months where we have less day light.

Quick rounded paper napkin math:
$30k for Panasonic 10kwh production system (25 year warranty) - considered one of the best panel manufacturers
less $10k federal tax credit (30%)
less $15k IL Solar incentives
Can I assume the following?

- You meant 110% of your electricity usage on a 1-year net scale.
- You meant a 10-kW system, not 10-kWh.
- You do not heat your home with electricity. (Otherwise, you would almost-certainly need more than a 10-kW system in IL.)

Is the additional production to provide for more EV consumption in the future?
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K miles: Apr 14, 2013, 20K miles (55.7Ah): Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah): Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah): Feb 8, 2017, 50K miles (47.2Ah): Dec 7, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

Return to “Environmental Issues”