2018 Leaf won't talk to Nissan Connect EV apps

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrleon2

This is the most frustrating thing. I've called the help desk several times and even taken the dang thing back into the dealership. What the "F"!!! *&^%. I just bought this car a couple of weeks ago, and when I purchased it the dealer said that I needed to give him my info to set up the NissanConnect EV stuff. I thought that was weird seeing that I'd already had everything working with the 2011 Leaf that I paid that $200 to have updated but sure, whatever. I waited a couple of days and then tried the app and low and behold "weak cell signal". I called the help desk and they said they'd call me back on Monday (4 days later). I call them first thing that Monday morning and they tried a couple of things like sending the info from the car and connected to NissanConnect from the car. Which all works fine but I still doesn't talk to the app, so they tell me they will call me back in another 3 days. 3 days later I take my car back to the dealership and have the service center check it out. They keep my car for a couple of hours I watch them call the call center and run through a few things but they say every thing checks out fine. I wait the rest of the day for a call back from the call center then call them the next morning and they try a few things over the phone (mostly the same stuff we had already done) then suggest I take it to the dealership which I inform them I had already done. Then she says she will "escalate" my case again and call me back in 3 days. In the meantime I've tried pulling the fuse, disconnecting the battery, everything I could think. It doesn't connect to the phone app or the webapp, and this is a brand new car WTH!! :x :evil: :(

The car has to be registered in the Nissan system. If you already have an account, it should have been added there. If you login from the web browser, you should be able to choose between the 2011 and 2018 Leaf on your account.

The car does not communicate with the app or web page, it only talks to the Nissan servers through the AT&T cellular network. The web page and phone app are just portals to the Nissan servers, to send commands to the car and get responses from the car.

If the car is able to connect to the Nissan servers, using the unique User ID and Password provided through your account from the web page, then Nissan has an issue with your account on the front end that needs resolved.

Update: it seems like everything except the climate control and battery stuff works through the app. I can lock/unlock the doors set speed alarms and curfew, as well as the valet parking thing and flash the lights and honk the horn but I can’t start the climate control or check my battery stats. What gives!!!

I had a similar issue...when I did the online chat, they were more helpful than the phone support. They were able to resolve my issue in a few hours after getting information for the unit number, Serial number and a few other goodies. My issue lasted 11 days. But it's been good since.

update, I did the "chat" thing today and they told me that it looked like the "2nd-Tier" team or something had informed them that they had isolated the problem to something having to do with how AT&T was talking to my car. They've already tried resetting something (else) on there end but that it had not been completely resolved yet. I have to say that I did notice that I had to log into the NissanConnectEV app again. And since it usually remembers me when I open it up I figure that they must have been working on it, but it's still having the same Got-d___ issues!!

Am I the only New Leaf owner going through this? I just got the stupid thing, why not give me a new car. This is ticking me off because warming up the car from the house is one of my favorite features, and since I share a plug with the dryer for charging knowing what my charge level is is essential.

Not sure this is isolated to the 18 Leaf. About 10 days ago the NissanConnect app started failing for me with "Leaf: Climate control on failed, weak cell reception." I've talked with the EV support team several times.

I am having the same problem with my 2018 LEAF, delivered on 4/6/2018. The non-EV functions work remotely (flash lights, horn) but the EV functions do not work: charge, climate. I opened a trouble ticket and my local dealer is also trying to work his connections.

My '12 stopped responding to the App for several weeks - couldn't even get charge info. Just this week, it all started working again. I've had the updated hardware installed, btw - in the last couple of years.

I've been in the same situation since I took delivery of my 2018 LEAF on March 7. I called EV customer service 2 days later after updating my Nissan portal info (I used to have a cube) and I've been calling them every week since because it's still not working. I've also brought the car back to the dealership to check the TCU which found nothing. So this is now 5 weeks and counting. Yes, VERY frustrating given the amount of my monthly payment to them that they cannot get these services working. If anyone has any success and finds out the particular reason, please let me know!

I’ve had the same issue with my 2018 Leaf for the last 3 weeks. The connect services work but the ev connect services do not. My has been escalated to tier 3 support and I get a call from Nissan each week. But no luck getting it fixed yet. The strange part is the ev services worked for about 5 days when the care was new but the connect services did not. Then the problem reversed itself.

pgham said:
I've been in the same situation since I took delivery of my 2018 LEAF on March 7. I called EV customer service 2 days later after updating my Nissan portal info (I used to have a cube) and I've been calling them every week since because it's still not working. I've also brought the car back to the dealership to check the TCU which found nothing. So this is now 5 weeks and counting. Yes, VERY frustrating given the amount of my monthly payment to them that they cannot get these services working. If anyone has any success and finds out the particular reason, please let me know!

6 weeks after bringing the LEAF home and all my calls to Nissan since then, my EV Services app (and the online portal) finally just connected to my car. That's a ridiculous amount of fix-your-brand-new-car time for something that costs this much... especially since it's all just back-end tech stuff they had to fix/allocate/locate/whatever and nothing actually physical on the car.

And this is only the 6th or 8th outage of their back-end in the 4 years I've have the LEAF... Get used to it.

(FWIW, I still am not getting completed notifications/text messages; the last was in Feb).

The EV services haven't worked to my 2011 in the last few days. My first hint was not receiving my daily morning "charging stopped" text and email notifications. Second hint has been the last two days of inability to check battery status or start charging from neither the phone app nor webpage... both fail with the generic "weak cell service" error.

Is anyone else seeing this failure with their cars starting this week?

ashnazg said:
The EV services haven't worked to my 2011 in the last few days. My first hint was not receiving my daily morning "charging stopped" text and email notifications. Second hint has been the last two days of inability to check battery status or start charging from neither the phone app nor webpage... both fail with the generic "weak cell service" error.

Is anyone else seeing this failure with their cars starting this week?

Been working for me. Just checked. Yep, still working.

I got my 2018 Leaf about 1-1/2 months ago. The app did not work. I called the Nissan EV support line, about 2 hours later the app was set up. I do have to hit the refresh icon to get current battery status. The support person said my dealer should have registered me when I got the car.

I guess I can join the club. iPhone app does not work.
2018 SL Leaf here, picked up on 10/6/18
I have the 3 green waves next to the car on the display
Spoke to numerous people at Tech Support, they don't know.
One person thinks its the new IOS 12.
They are bumping my problem to a higher level.
Will post when resolved.

I spoke to Nissan Tech support
They said they ran diagnostics from their end to my car, their computers are communicating with my TCU, but my TCU is not responding back.
They tell me that is a dealer fix, I am supposed to take the car in on Sat for them to look at it. Hope I am not getting a run around.
Has anyone heard of this?

I don't want to hijack this thread, but could someone please clarify what trim level the original poster has?

The reason I'm asking is that I believe the 2018 S doesn't have the ability to use the app like the SV and SL models can. I may be wrong but I think trim level matters here when it comes to using the app.

Thanks.

Back