Contest: Guess March 2018 LEAF sales

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
WetEV said:
So why would QC throttling matter to the buyer of a commuter car? Frankly, I just don't see it.
Can you see a battery running around at 120F for months on end mattering to those same buyers ?

You know that the battery will be running around 120F because you drive a 2018 and have observed the battery temperature for at least months?
Don't evade the question. Do you think it would matter ?

It definitely SHOULD matter to them! That is not healthy for any battery.

SageBrush said:
WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
Can you see a battery running around at 120F for months on end mattering to those same buyers ?

You know that the battery will be running around 120F because you drive a 2018 and have observed the battery temperature for at least months?

SageBrush said:
WetEV said:
SageBrush said:

Do you think a pink elephant would matter? What, you don't see a pink elephant? I don't either.

I don't own a 2018 Leaf. I'm interested in actual facts about the 2018 Leaf from actual owners of same. You are not an actual owner of a 2018 Leaf.

When you have actual facts, get back to me.

TomT said:

SageBrush said:
WetEV said:
DaveinOly has reached those temperatures. In the PNW. In April.
And after 16 hours of cooling the battery is still 15F over ambient

This is not rocket science, folks.

TomT said:

If true, and the battery chemistry isn't optimized for higher temperatures, I'd agree. Is it true that the 2018 Leaf battery will be at 120F all the time? Do you know for an actual fact what temperature range the battery is optimized for?

And more to the point, exactly HOW do you know these things?

What I'm hoping for is to reduce the noise and read more from people that actually own a 2018 Leaf.

SageBrush said:

How did DaveinOly reach those temperatures?

By commuting?

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:

How did DaveinOly reach those temperatures?
Read the details and get informed. And remember that this is from April in Seattle.

There is another thread in this forum from an owner in Texas who lays to rest the fantasy that this is only a multi-charge DCFC scenario, and he did it with 80F ambient temperatures.

Or, you can keep playing the ostrich. I certainly do not care.

uc

Dave got there by quick charging many times in succession. The owner in Texas has made one hyperbolic post on the subject and disappeared. I highly doubt a new LEAF will reach those temps just driving around, but I am prepared to be wrong with actual data. The lower C-rate with the larger battery should help keep temps in check under normal usage conditions.

Oh, you have at least seen a 2018 once in real life?

Classic Head in The Sand response. Given that the battery pack has no active cooling (and reduced passive cooling) it would violate the laws of physics if the pack temp didn't get up to around 120F in normal 85F+ Summer weather driving.

SageBrush said:
Read the details and get informed.

Oh, I did. Dave's trip wasn't commuting. It was an long trip to verify the multi-charge DCFC issue.

SageBrush said:
And remember that this is from April in Seattle.

Not true. Two state trip, Seattle to Oregon.

The Leaf is a commuting and around town car. Road trips, while possible, are not what it was designed for.

I could care less if it matches the Teslas or the Porsche Mission E high speed travel and recharge rates. I don't do those kinds of trips. I don't need that kind of recharge rate.

LeftieBiker said:

Classic Head in The Sand response. Given that the battery pack has no active cooling (and reduced passive cooling) it would violate the laws of physics if the pack temp didn't get up to around 120F in normal 85F+ Summer weather driving.

Like my 2014 Leaf gets up to 120F all the time... Not.

Actually my 2014 Leaf's battery as measured by Leaf Spy usually stays between the daily high and daily low in the summer. The average daily high in summer is 70F. The average daily low is 54F. Maybe a 2018 will run hotter by a few degrees. Maybe not. I'm not sure if I care. Should I?

Most frequent long trip is 130 miles round trip. Longest common trip is 71 miles. A fair fraction is slower roads. Usually in winter, spring or fall, in summer we take the wife's convertible. With the top down, of course. I suspect I can take these trips without needing a charging stop in a 2018. For years.

LeftieBiker said:
You drive a 24kwh Leaf, gently. Ask the owner of a 30kwh Leaf about battery temps in Summer, on hot days.

If I drove a 30kWh Leaf as I drive my 24kWh Leaf, how different would the battery temperatures be?
If I drove a 40kWh Leaf as I drive my 24kWh Leaf, how different would the battery temperatures be?

I don' t know, of course, as I don't own a 30kWh or a 40kWh Leaf.

You don't know as well, for the same reason.

WetEV said:
LeftieBiker said:
You drive a 24kwh Leaf, gently. Ask the owner of a 30kwh Leaf about battery temps in Summer, on hot days.

If I drove a 30kWh Leaf as I drive my 24kWh Leaf, how different would the battery temperatures be?
If I drove a 40kWh Leaf as I drive my 24kWh Leaf, how different would the battery temperatures be?

I don' t know, of course, as I don't own a 30kWh or a 40kWh Leaf.

You don't know as well, for the same reason.

So the only way to know things like that are to own the vehicle? Interesting. I guess I've been wasting my time just reading about them. You know, I've skipped a LOT of seemingly endless arguments between you and other people here, but I'm only just now starting to entirely realize why.

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
WetEV said:
So why would QC throttling matter to the buyer of a commuter car? Frankly, I just don't see it.

The reality is a few areas will see that in their packs a few months a year. We have one in AZ who has 2018, no garage, works nights so car bakes during the day while charging.

This is an edge case. I have a 2018 but I am not going to worry about weather conditions I cannot see. I have collected several charging curves in several scenarios and that will continue to Summer but if you are not into stopping for long stints to charge (I am not. I prefer mostly 15 min stops with an occasional 30 mins stop) you range in Summer is likely to be limited to 250-350 miles if you are on a time budget.

As far as longevity? Still remains to be seen but initial results are not promising but too early to tell anything.

FYI; I am/was an edge case so not everything I will experience will apply to the masses.

EV Sales indicates 11,105 Nissan LEAFs sold in March:
EV Sales said:
This month the new Nissan Leaf and the Tesla Model S and X were the headliners, with the Japanese hatchback deliveries now in full swing, registrations surged to over 11,000 units, not only a new record for the nameplate, but also only the second model to reach the five-digit area ever. With a five-digit long waiting list, expect registrations to continue around 10,000 units in the next few months.
Nissan sold more LEAFs worldwide in March than ALL PEVs sold in the US in January.

Back