Help! Just bought a 2012 Leaf - range is low - worth a new battery or take it back?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take it back. Even if you put a $6,000 battery in the car it is only worth $8,000.
Far better to put your money down on a newer EV including a Bolt.

The Carfax looks fine on the '15. Too bad it wasn't a plum car that only resided in the PNW. It's unclear where the vehicle spent most of its time. SF is GREAT for a Leaf. I think Oakland usually doesn't get as hot as the South Bay. Sunnyvale and Fremont are much warmer but aren't crazy hot like Dublin, Concord and Walnut Creek. If it was used to commute, it's unknown where home and destinations were. See my earlier comments on the Bay Area microclimates.

Would be curious to see Leaf Spy, AHr, SOH and Hx values. Hopefully you still have at least 1-3 years before you lose your 1st capacity bar.

My 2012 LEAF SL battery has finally dropped to 8 capacity bars after 81.000 miles of Minnesota driving. Nissan says they no longer provide any assistance to refurbish a degraded battery outside warranty, except to finance a new battery. I don't want to pay ~$6,000 for a new battery. Is anybody outside of Nissan offering battery pack refresh/refurbish. I have little time or expertise so it would have to be a plug and play swap or refurbish to help me. Thanks.

gschettl said:
My 2012 LEAF SL battery has finally dropped to 8 capacity bars after 81.000 miles of Minnesota driving. Nissan says they no longer provide any assistance to refurbish a degraded battery outside warranty, except to finance a new battery. I don't want to pay ~$6,000 for a new battery. Is anybody outside of Nissan offering battery pack refresh/refurbish. I have little time or expertise so it would have to be a plug and play swap or refurbish to help me. Thanks.
We all wonder if https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nissan-battery/nissan-spins-up-new-plant-to-give-second-life-to-ev-batteries-idUSKBN1H30DD will come to the US.

Cor in the thread at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=21997&p=508921#p508921 does very time and labor intensive swaps of modules from healthier packs into battery casings of worn packs. Read his posts there. Not sure if he'd be willing to make a house call to your state, provided he can locate a pack and get it shipped there.

gschettl said:
I'm also down to 8 bars on my '12, and out of warranty :(
It only had 10 when I purchased it at Wayzata Nissan a couple years back, it was originally leased in sunny HOT So. Cal(O.C.) and according to LeafSpy was very close to 9 bars. In the summer it works pretty good, sometimes get 60 miles but in the winter 30 isn't unheard of :(
It's in very good shape otherwise and loaded like they all were back then. I might consider having the battery replaced, but not for the cost of a new one!

Nissan is offering rebuilt batteries in Japan at substantially less than new ones. Presumably these will reach our shores before too long. https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1116042_nissan-leaf-refurbished-batteries-offered-for-older-electric-cars-in-japan

There is a topic on that here as well. That packs will be guaranteed to have 80% capacity and will be composed of sorted used cells. Probably a good deal for those with modest range needs.

Back