Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KeiJidosha said:
DanCar said:
GM said much of the design was done in Korea. So it looks like it was designed for Korean average posteriors. :p

"Bolt EV’s front seats were designed in house by GM." Bolt EV seat design cuts weight, delights taller passengers - http://articles.sae.org/14913/

The leader of the design team for the Bolt is a Stringbean. He is of average height but is very thin. I've seen a photo of him posing in front of a Bolt; he makes the car look like an SUV.

LeftieBiker said:
KeiJidosha said:
DanCar said:
GM said much of the design was done in Korea. So it looks like it was designed for Korean average posteriors. :p

"Bolt EV’s front seats were designed in house by GM." Bolt EV seat design cuts weight, delights taller passengers - http://articles.sae.org/14913/

The leader of the design team for the Bolt is a Stringbean. He is of average height but is very thin. I've seen a photo of him posing in front of a Bolt; he makes the car look like an SUV.
I'm certainly more on the slim side (swimmer's body) than the opposite, but I'm 6' tall and weigh 175-180 depending on the season (about 10-15 lb. more than the years when I was at peak condition), but I agree Josh Tavel would look anemic next to me or most people - I think this is the photo you mean: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...to-chevy-bolt-evs-chief-speed-freak/95259830/

Anyway, this puts me at about the 85th percentile on height and the 50th percentile on weight for white American males. Part of the problem is that the majority of Americans (70.7% of those age 20 and over) qualify as overweight or obese (37.9%), and unlike many countries we also have a mix of people of every possible ethnicity/body type, so everyone who's wider and/or heavier may have an issue even ignoring seat construction variations or lack of anorexia. I don't think you'd find too many Samoans being happy in a Bolt :lol:

What GM should have done is provide a 95th percentile seat that's wider with less aggressive bolsters, and then a sport seat shaped more like the current one - the car certainly has the performance to benefit from same, and its bolsters felt less aggressive than the ones in my Forester, let alone those in higher performance cars I've owned or driven.

OT: I suspect Subaru can get away with this because their demographic tends to be more physically active than the average American, and there may also be some self-selection of body types, but I'm unaware if they've gotten lots of complaints - the only bitches I have with them are limited leg room length/seat travel (GM got that right in the Bolt), and they still make the seat bottoms too short (limited thigh support) for those of us of European ancestry, although as the Japanese have gotten taller it's become less of an issue, and cruise control makes it bearable on long trips.

I think the biggest mismatch I ever experienced between seat design and intended car usage was the Recaro bucket seats in the pre-production Think City urban BEV I drove for a week. For a car intended to be used for lots of short trips that would require frequent entry and exit but not aggressive driving (imagine a lower-performance Smart), entering the driver's seat required squirming your way in over the side and around the back bolsters while fitting your thighs under the bottom of the steering wheel. The production car wouldn't have used such expensive seats (around $1,000/ea. retail at the time), which were also so ill-suited for the car's intended usage.

Again, all I can say from experience with this car, not just test drives but actual ownership, is that this car is not uncomfortable for my son (185 lbs) his girlfriend (265 lbs) and myself currently at 195 lbs.

The seats are firm, but so are the ones in the 2011 Leaf (2018?). Based on these seats, in this Bolt, they are fine. If you are looking for soft, cushy seats, these are not for you. They feel to me to be about the same firmness as our 2011 leaf. They are slightly narrower but we haven't found that to be an issue. Neither the Bolt or Leafs are as roomy or cushy as our Tesla Model S but the older Model S vehicles have firmer seats but still are more roomy than Bolt or Leaf as well.

This 2017 Bolt LT has been used on moderate trips and utilizes a JDapter at Tesla destination locations. If I were to say this car has a deficiency, It would not actually be the car but it would be the lack of CCS charging infrastructure and Chevy (so far) not willing to sell the car in large numbers.

While I have many friends in my EV club with an array of vehicles, I haven't sought to spend enough time to compare seats in those. I think some lengthy seat time is the only way to fairly form an opinion.

LeftieBiker said:
I think some lengthy seat time is the only way to fairly form an opinion.

That would have been more helpful a page or so ago. Now, don't you wonder why people who are fine with Leaf seats don't complain that they aren't "cushy" enough...?

??? Sorry, but I thought I was trying to be helpful for someone, hopefully!

My son has a Bolt and has no problem with the seats. I have ridden it many times and the seats are no problem. The seat "issue" is blown out of proportion. Unless (unlikely) they are making these cars differently, I don't understand why most people would. There are always a few exceptions...

Via IEVS:
UPDATE: Chevy Bolt Finally Gets Its Over-The-Air (OTA) Updates
https://insideevs.com/chevy-bolt-finally-gets-its-over-the-air-ota-updates/

Dear General Motors Customer:
As the owner of a 2017 model year Chevrolet Bolt EV, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us. This letter is to inform you of new software updates that will soon be available for your vehicle. Depending on its configuration, your vehicle may require two updates. The software updates will improve phone connectivity, display resolution, rear camera operation, and prevent instances of intermittent screen freezing. The updates will also remove certain video playback functionality and improve the ability to perform software updates to your radio. This service will be provided for you at no charge.

We are rolling out the software updates to vehicle owners in phases beginning April 2018 through August 2018. Updates will be performed remotely, through in-vehicle prompts from the radio display. When a software update package becomes available for your vehicle, you will be notified through those in-vehicle prompts. To ensure successful completion of the update, please review the enclosed information.

The download and installation of the software updates will occur in steps. You may be asked to accept the download of the software update package. The vehicle must be parked to accept the download, but after the download is accepted, you will be able to use your vehicle normally during the download process. Once the download is completed, you will then be asked to accept the installation of the software update package. During installation of the software update package, your vehicle must be parked. You may also notice one or more system resets during the installation process.

SEAT PROBLEM? Fix....

LOSE WEIGHT.... Exercise, Eat low fat high fiber diet with lots of fresh vegetables and avoid salt, sugar and flower. The seat is not to narrow, your a$$ is too big.... :D :roll: :lol:

Nissan needs to up it's range. Older ones are sub 100 miles and do not have ACTIVE COOLING of battery as the BOLT HAS, this some battery life issues. The NEW NISSAN still barely has real world +100 mile range.

In 6 months of ownership, I just had my first almost dead getting home, with my 2015 Nissan Leaf SV. I ended up not charging it for about 6 hours. It was totally dead throwing seek service, all dash lights flashing and inability to charge. The lead acid battery was also dead. Oh yea that FLA battery dying is also another issue. I think I know why or at least how to prevent it, have it plugged in when ever parked.

Right now have 11 bars and my real world range is 80 miles at best... it says 89 or something like that. Since I am careful, always plan to never go below 20% to 15% (except yesterday), that is about 50-60 miles real world range. That is OK for my RT commute of 36 miles, but give me a break. Now it is getting hot I will be using AC. I got the car in October. I have not used AC except a short period to defrost windshield. I am guessing my 60 miles (with reserve) will go to 50 miles...... the battery is too small. 50Kwh battery is the MIN...

Nissan going to 30KWH is too little too late. They will need to up their game. I am thinking of unloading my Nissan Leaf after 6 months. I am pissed it went to 11 bars right after I got it. It is only 3 years old.... I am guessing I will not get to 8 bars by end of warranty but close to it.... Then I will be looking at a $6,000 bill, HALF of what I paid for this thing.

BACK TO TOPIC... THE BOLT KICKS RANGE ASS...... I talked to a lady with a new BOLD at the park where the freebee charge stations are. She DROVE IT straight from Saint Louis where she bought it, straight to Memphis.. 280 miles! !!!! Try that in the LEAF... that would be for me 3 or 4 charges.
With that said the BOLT is a smaller car. The LEAF is very roomy, too roomy. It has a ton of head room... I kind of wish they had lowered the roof a bit, but all that window and head room is nice for volume. Nissan is at the bottom have end of the EV's... It is OK, but again for the price they need to up the game. I do think the Nissan is a better car all-around, but that damn range limit is not up to the current standards even with 30KWh battery.

My Leaf was under $10,000 used. I can't get a Bolt for under $28,000. Well, I guess I have found 2017 Bolts for almost that price, minus federal tax credit of $7,500, minus Colorado tax credit of $5,000 leaves me at around $17,000. But I can't even afford that! Maybe someday used prices will come down. Or I'll have found a solution for extending the range of my Leaf.

The range in the Bolt is awesome though. But you get what you pay for I guess. Plus I do haul adults in the rear seats. Sometimes all 5 seats with adults in them. And I'm 6'1".

Via IEVS:
2019 Chevy Bolt Gets Minor Updates – No Range Improvement
https://insideevs.com/2019-chevy-bolt-gets-minor-updates-no-range-improvement/

I take issue with "Minor updates". GM will finally allow people who don't want leather seats to have the same safety features as those who do, as the 2019 will allow you to order Driver Confidence Package II on the LT, previously only available on the Premier:
Driver Confidence II Package: Low Speed Forward Automatic Braking, Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision
Alert, Following Distance Indicator, Front Pedestrian Braking and
IntelliBeam automatic high beam assist.

IssacZachary said:
My Leaf was under $10,000 used. I can't get a Bolt for under $28,000. Well, I guess I have found 2017 Bolts for almost that price, minus federal tax credit of $7,500, minus Colorado tax credit of $5,000 leaves me at around $17,000. But I can't even afford that! Maybe someday used prices will come down. Or I'll have found a solution for extending the range of my Leaf.

The range in the Bolt is awesome though. But you get what you pay for I guess. Plus I do haul adults in the rear seats. Sometimes all 5 seats with adults in them. And I'm 6'1".

Did you find a 2017 with QC? Because that is the key to everything. A lot of people rationalize the additional range means no need for QC but that is something I simply find too alien to understand.

GRA said:
Via IEVS:

I take issue with "Minor updates". GM will finally allow people who don't want leather seats to have the same safety features as those who do, as the 2019 will allow you to order Driver Confidence Package II on the LT, previously only available on the Premier:
Driver Confidence II Package: Low Speed Forward Automatic Braking, Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision
That is a trivial building issue that is just a procedure on the floor and in their computer which should have been available from day one. That is no upgrade. It is very doubtful that people did not buy the Bolt because of that.

scottf200 said:
GRA said:
Via IEVS:

That is a trivial building issue that is just a procedure on the floor and in their computer which should have been available from day one. That is no upgrade. It is very doubtful that people did not buy the Bolt because of that.
I completely agree that it should have been offered across all trim lines from the start, as safety options shouldn't be bundled with comfort and convenience options. Unfortunately that's what most companies continue to do, owing to the high profits from the latter. While it's no upgrade to the car itself, it is an upgrade to the people who don't want to pay extra for a bunch of options they neither need or want, dropping the entry price for those they do want by several thousand dollars. Sometime in the next few years all cars will come standard with AEB (at least), but until then safety advances will continue to be available incrementally as an option, and every drop in their price is an upgrade. Other than that, about the only major things Chevy needs to upgrade (or at least have better quality control) are the seats, and within the next MY or two the QC rate, which is already below that of the Ionic and the upcoming Kona/Niro BEVs, the latter two in particular likely being the Bolt's direct competitors.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Did you find a 2017 with QC? Because that is the key to everything. A lot of people rationalize the additional range means no need for QC but that is something I simply find too alien to understand.
Good question! I didn't even think about it. Although I have DCQC capabilities on my Leaf it hasn't been all that useful seeing how I have to drive over 200 miles first in order to make it to a DCQC station. But a Bolt or Tesla would be a game changer. Even future planned DCQC stations are a bit too far apart for the Leaf, on a good summer day, with a 12 bar battery. :(

https://insideevs.com/motor-trend-gives-long-term-verdict-on-chevy-bolt/ points to http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/bolt-ev/2017/2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-review-long-term-verdict/.

Haven't read the latter yet but their car is pretty much trouble-free after 14 months and 17K miles compared to Edmunds w/the problematic Model 3 16 weeks in at 5.5K miles: https://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-3/2017/long-term-road-test/2017-tesla-model-3-monthly-update-for-april-2018.html

Glad to hear the Bolt seems pretty reliable. It did reasonably well in CR in that dept and is amazingly good for a 1st model year (esp. brand new) GM product. Depending on what 2019 Leaf offers for its price, I might (shudder) go for a Bolt if '19 Leaf isn't up to snuff (e.g. too expensive, no battery thermal management, etc.)

DaveinOlyWA said:
FOR YOU.

I have QC in my LEAF that I have never used. The closest DCQC is 250 miles away.
ChadeMo and CCS combined sum to to a total of TWO stations for the 125,000 square miles circle around my home.

Tesla, on the other hand ? No problem driving anywhere.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
FOR YOU.

I have QC in my LEAF that I have never used. The closest DCQC is 250 miles away.
ChadeMo and CCS combined sum to to a total of TWO stations for the 125,000 square miles circle around my home.

Tesla, on the other hand ? No problem driving anywhere.

So your counter to my "EV with QC a must" is an EV with QC?

Well, at least that is normal.

Back