Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
The weight shift of regen in the rear does not cancel out the added benefits of the second motor for regen. There are other cases also. Please stop comparing other cars with different designs and tires and other factors like fwd to rwd. Let me correct myself, you can get more regen with two motor front and back vs one single motor. There is still power to gain on the rear

Maybe think and relate in terms of the available kinetic energy for actual regen.

jlv said:
lpickup said:
My expectation for a new car is that it better not require any visits to the service center for at least over a year/10K miles, and maybe 1-2 visits tops in the first 3 years.
That was my expectation before I got the LEAF. Not only was it in for service when 10 weeks old, but then I didn't have it for over 3 weeks.

That's been my experience as well whenever the LEAF needs to go in. Because there is only 1-2 LEAF certified techs at any given dealer, there is a queue, or in the case of the last time mine was in, he was off at training. Then when he came back we had a snowstorm and he had to be out. And then, despite all this training, he had to submit a ticket to Nissan (and by the way, this was for an ABS problem, probably no different than any other Nissan on the lot). And then they had to special order the part. All told it was 2 weeks, and unfortunately it's always been about 2 weeks any time it's been in.

Zythryn said:
I think you are reading too much into it. No one, in either thread, is “declaring victory”.
The way I read it is ‘so far so good’, not ‘it will never break since it hasn’t in three weeks’.

Okay, maybe. The exact quote was:

opencar said:
Luckily in 3+ weeks of ownership on the TM3 and 2000 mi. I have yet to incur any problems that would require me to go to the service center.

Let's just say that I hope/expect that I don't have to be lucky to make it 3 weeks without having to go a service center. And if the general sentiment it that people that that make it 3 weeks without having to go to a service center are "lucky", then that's not a good thing.

In fact, this is quite relevant to my potential personal situation. I expect to get the car just prior to a 1600 mile round trip. It would not be cool at all to get stuck part way through the trip.

Zythryn said:
opencar said:
drees said:
Should be picking up my Model 3 next week and selling the Prius.

Have you tried “chill” mode?
It was a setting added fairly recently, so if it isn’t available under settings it should be available with the next update you get.

And congratulations :cool:

Thanks!
I like chill mode for when i'm taking people & my dog in the car since it smooths out the sometimes nauseating-inducing bursts of acceleration that i'm prone to take now. I'll be taking a day trip from SD to LA this weekend and checkout the Falcon 9 1st stage. Fun times!

opencar said:
Thanks!
I like chill mode for when i'm taking people & my dog in the car since it smooths out the sometimes nauseating-inducing bursts of acceleration that i'm prone to take now. I'll be taking a day trip from SD to LA this weekend and checkout the Falcon 9 1st stage. Fun times!

Oooo, I’m jealous!
At the SpaceX lobby they used to have a big display showing the SuperCharger network. If you see it, could you check on the total miles charged? I saw this week that the Tesla fleet was up to 7.2 Billion Miles. It would be interesting to see what percentage of that the Superchargers are supplying.

Zythryn said:
opencar said:
Thanks!

Oooo, I’m jealous!
At the SpaceX lobby they used to have a big display showing the SuperCharger network. If you see it, could you check on the total miles charged? I saw this week that the Tesla fleet was up to 7.2 Billion Miles. It would be interesting to see what percentage of that the Superchargers are supplying.

Per your request:
402M kWh delivered
1.4B Miles enabled
62.9 M Gallons of gas saved
1.6B lbs CO2 offset

opencar said:
Per your request:
402M kWh delivered
1.4B Miles enabled
62.9 M Gallons of gas saved
1.6B lbs CO2 offset

Many thanks!
Close to 20%, that has, unsurprisingly, grown quite a bit.
Hope you enjoyed the visit!

RegGuheert said:
mtndrew1 said:
The Model 3, restricted to the most expensive trim and options grouping with no lease available, no promotional financing, and no factory incentives or advertising just outsold the Leaf by 2.5x.
It's more likely that the Nissan LEAF outsold the Tesla Model 3 by 2.5X to 3.0X in March. This even though LEAF production started months after Model 3 production started.
It looks like the final numbers say that in March the LEAF sold 11,105 copies while the Model 3 sold 3820 copies. That is a ratio of 2.9 to 1.

For the year so far, the Nissan LEAF has outsold the Tesla Model 3 by 21,959 to 8180 or a ratio of 2.7 to 1. Since Nissan is likely to have sold over 10,000 LEAFs this month while Tesla likely sold under 10,000 Model 3s, Nissan's lead in 2018 has almost certainly grown further, though the ratio has likely shrunk.

RegGuheert said:
RegGuheert said:
mtndrew1 said:
The Model 3, restricted to the most expensive trim and options grouping with no lease available, no promotional financing, and no factory incentives or advertising just outsold the Leaf by 2.5x.
It's more likely that the Nissan LEAF outsold the Tesla Model 3 by 2.5X to 3.0X in March. This even though LEAF production started months after Model 3 production started.
It looks like the final numbers say that in March the LEAF sold 11,105 copies while the Model 3 sold 3820 copies. That is a ratio of 2.9 to 1.

For the year so far, the Nissan LEAF has outsold the Tesla Model 3 by 21,959 to 8180 or a ratio of 2.7 to 1. Since Nissan is likely to have sold over 10,000 LEAFs this month while Tesla likely sold under 10,000 Model 3s, Nissan's lead in 2018 has almost certainly grown further, though the ratio has likely shrunk.

Worldwide, most certainly. In the US, sadly no.
As Tesla did not have a mature production and distribution already in place, I would be quite surprised if the Model 3 could compare worldwide.
Let’s let Tesla get up to speed with at least one factory before we draw conclusions.

Zythryn said:
Let’s let Tesla get up to speed with at least one factory before we draw conclusions.
Wait, I thought we already DID let Tesla get up to speed with one factory... Over six months ago they were supposed to be producing as many Model 3s in one month as Nissan has sold LEAFs in all of 2018 so far. ;)

Since Tesla started their efforts to ramp up Model 3 production in one factory, Nissan has ramped up LEAF production in three factories. It seems Tesla has overreached in their efforts for automation, so it is not clear where they are at this point.

That's why I am posting the data. Tesla's projections do not have meaning, but the actual data does.

RegGuheert said:
Zythryn said:
Wait, I thought we already DID let Tesla get up to speed with one factory... Over six months ago they were supposed to be producing as many Model 3s in one month as Nissan has sold LEAFs in all of 2018 so far. ;)

Since Tesla started their efforts to ramp up Model 3 production in one factory, Nissan has ramped up LEAF production in three factories. It seems Tesla has overreached in their efforts for automation, so it is not clear where they are at this point.

That's why I am posting the data. Tesla's projections do not have meaning, but the actual data does.

Agreed. However, you still can't draw conclusions until you see evidence that the ramp has stopped. It's one thing to be late and not meeting internally stated production goals, and quite another to suffer from lack of demand or a complete inability or unwillingness to increase production. Everyone who knows anything about the EV industry is well aware that Tesla is late and the ramp is going slower than predicted. But it's still increasing.

It's a bit like the monthly (meaningless) reports we got from the SeekingAlpha crowd about how the Bolt outside the Model 3 720:1 in July 17, and then 350:1, and then 200:1 (or whatever the numbers were). For some reason we stopped getting those reports in January! Will the same happen here eventually?

Zythryn said:
lpickup said:
However, you still can't draw conclusions until you see evidence that the ramp has stopped.
Who drew any conclusions? Certainly not me. I posted data and then made a projection of global sales for the 2018 LEAF and the 2018 Model 3 for the month that ends today.

As for drawing conclusions, we have this one:
lpickup on March 26 said:
They WILL get to the point of producing 2500, then 5000, and then eventually 10,000 vehicles per week.
Am I to understand that YOU can draw optimistic conclusions about what will happen in the future based on Tesla missing production targets, but that others cannot draw conclusions?

RegGuheert said:
Who drew any conclusions? Certainly not me. I posted data and then made a projection of global sales for the 2018 LEAF and the 2018 Model 3 for the month that ends today.

Fair enough...no conclusions drawn. I should be more careful about exactly what words I choose. However, let me just ask you: were you trying to infer some kind of meaningful statistic by posting the global sales totals of Nissan vs. Tesla at the end of April, or were you just posting an estimate that in all honesty should not come as a surprise to anyone familiar with the Model 3 ramp.

And I suppose I should not jump to the conclusion that you will not continue to report the Nissan/Tesla comparison figures if and when the numbers turn out to be more favorable to Tesla. I look forward to that! ;)

lpickup said:
However, let me just ask you: were you trying to infer some kind of meaningful statistic by posting the global sales totals of Nissan vs. Tesla at the end of April, or were you just posting an estimate that in all honesty should not come as a surprise to anyone familiar with the Model 3 ramp.
I find the current sale results to be COMPLETELY OPPOSITE of what most here and elsewhere thought would be the case at the end of April 2018. I certainly didn't think the Nissan LEAF would be ahead of the Model 3 in total sales at this time. That makes it interesting to me.
lpickup said:
And I suppose I should not jump to the conclusion that you will not continue to report the Nissan/Tesla comparison figures if and when the numbers turn out to be more favorable to Tesla.
Who knows? I've continued posting the ratio of LEAF to Volt sales for a couple of years after Volt sales again achieved supremacy over the LEAF. And I plan to continue to post my comparison between worldwide sales of the LEAF versus the Prius even though there were many market differences between the two and LEAF's latest refresh came later than the comparable refresh of the Prius, leaving the very real possibility that the LEAF will soon fall way behind. But I certainly don't know what will happen in that case.

The 2018 Nissan LEAF and the Tesla Model 3 were launched at similar times and will very likely be the biggest selling BEVs EVER going forward (assuming either of them can top the Chinese models). It is surprising to see the LEAF out in front at this time, but I think the comparison is interesting. Go-to-market strategies can make a difference, but they don't always. Case-in-point: Nissan went global with the LEAF originally and Toyota kept Prius sales in Japan for the first two years (both cars were built exclusively in Japan, however). Did it impact sales results? Apparently not, since they sold about the same number of copies during those first years.

You can count on this: I will be watching to see when Tesla cranks out the 40,000 Model 3s in a single month that you have stated will happen. ;) (And, yes, I will give you full credit for your accurate "conclusion" when it does happen.)

mtndrew1 said:
It does seem to be true that the Leaf outsells the Model 3 in countries where the Tesla is not available for sale.
I don't think that Nissan is selling more LEAFs than Tesla is selling Model 3s because they are selling in more countries. I think Nissan is selling more LEAFs because they can build more LEAFs than Tesla can build Model 3s.

And, yes, Nissan built 2.9X as many LEAFs as Tesla built Model 3s using 3X as many assembly lines. But it is also true that Nissan makes three other cars on each of those lines, so those three lines built about 12X as many cars (maybe more?) than Tesla did on their one line.

Let's not pretend there is anything else at play here right now.

In the future, if Tesla can build more Model 3s than Nissan can build LEAFs, things may change. But they haven't been able to do that to date.

It looks like the April numbers will have Tesla selling about 10000 Model 3s in the US with Nissan only selling 2500 LEAFs in the US. There certainly is a big ratio going on.

The question is: why can't Nissan sell more LEAFs in the US? Priced at less than 60% of the 3 it should be doing much better.
mtndrew1 said:

This month or next, Model 3 is going to beat all other Non-Tesla EVS **combined** in US sales.
Not bad for a ramp still in its infancy.

lpickup said:
I finally had some time to watch the Munro video.

While he did impress me a bit more with his objectivity in handing out credit where credit is due, I still haven't changed my overall opinion of the fact that Autoline TV (and particularly host John McElroy) represent Detroit Big Auto and it's clear that they see outsiders (and EVs) as a threat...

Yeah, the Munro fellow had some integrity. The others were just hyenas pandering to their outdated notion of what a "car guy" is.

Back