2011 LEAF Replacement: Need Help w/Pros & Cons of 2018 BOLT, I3, LEAF & Tesla Model 3

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
finman100 said:
I'd hold out for a Model 3. It's awesome! You'll be sad if you don't.

A REAL battery TMS for long range and Supercharging. A REAL network of functional DC fast charging. Expanding, too.

fun to drive. Supporting a REAL EV innovator and world changer. What's not to like?

Oh, wait, there is all the FUD out there. ignore that since the Model 3 is disrupting things EVERYWHERE. some don't get it. that's fine. lots of long-range EVs to choose from.

Keep on dreaming.. Tesla will soon be out of business.

You will be "holding out" until the only thing with wheels you will need is a wheelchair.....

wow. just wow. how any sane person can come to these conclusions...wow. pretty much all wrong. but, like I said plenty of choices out there for long-range EVs with a robust and expanding fast charge network.

I love my Leaf! But something better is here whilst Nissan keeps putting batteries in a sealed box. Let's see how 2018 shakes out. Don't bet against Elon. Or maybe people are and THAT's why they're so scared. hmmmmm...

Enjoy.

GlennD said:
There is no such thing as a 37K Tesla 3 and there may never be.
Or, put alternately (and less negatively):

Tesla is not yet producing the base Model 3 for $37K. They do claim they will start to produce it later this year (*).

(*) Some people might point out the $57K S40 they took deposits on but never built. Instead, they eventually sold an S60 that was software limited to 40kWh for the lower price.

powersurge said:
finman100 said:

A REAL battery TMS for long range and Supercharging. A REAL network of functional DC fast charging. Expanding, too.

fun to drive. Supporting a REAL EV innovator and world changer. What's not to like?

Oh, wait, there is all the FUD out there. ignore that since the Model 3 is disrupting things EVERYWHERE. some don't get it. that's fine. lots of long-range EVs to choose from.

Keep on dreaming.. Tesla will soon be out of business.
Aren't you the same troll that declared that Tesla would never produce a Model 3 ?
Guess which car is the top selling EV in the US these days -- by far.

I am really interested in what the OP actually gets. I think the last post I saw was about the Clarity, which is not a hatchback and a big mistake I think. For something with as much room and more range than the old Leaf, I have seen new a Leaf S advertised for $25000 with $0 down + TTF, which might be sort of reasonable if you need something now and then see what else is available in 3 yrs. I can't believe I am saying that, I have never leased anything other than an apartment. The Kona sounds good, at least for you guys in CA, but I just read that Hyundai is basically out of battery packs for 2018.

The Clarity is excellent except for the wheelchair needing the hatchback. Also, the OP indicate a desire for a smaller car for ease of in-city parking. The Clarity does not fit well in that regard. However, the longer length does provide for a nicer ride. And I suspect his family members will appreciate the roominess of the interior. But though it looks sorta like a hatchback, it isn't a real one so the cargo area is sharply limited.

I have to say it is nice to finally have a bunch of choices to pick from. A decade ago, there were none. 6 years ago, you had just Tesla, Leaf and Volt. Now there are many choices, especially if an older Leaf met his range needs.

One option I haven't heard mentioned yet but might be an excellent fit for the OP if he can still find one available - the Mercedes B. Last model year was 2017. Range should be fine for the OP's stated needs. Size seems good. Should be able to handle the wheelchair.

WetEV said:
finman100 said:

The same could be said of a Porsche 911.

I'm enjoying owning a Leaf and expect to do so for years more. The Leaf has the room I need, fits the wheelchair my wife needs, has the range I need mostly. Wife's car is an ICE, and we do take it on longer day trips once every couple of months. We sometimes to take the Leaf, but usually in winter and requires two QC stops. The Leaf is likely to have that range for years into the future. A TMS wouldn't provide me with anything.

I expect that the Leaf will be cheaper to maintain than the T esla.

While I wish T elsa all the success, the company is high risk. The odds of T esla being around long term are not near certain.

Re Finman100 - There is a lot to admire & like re Tesla. This did jump out at us when we sat in the Model 3. Is it's design intentionally super sparse on the dash? Seems a little worrisome that so much of the controls are via the screen - what if something happens to it?

WetEV - Appreciate how the LEAF is almost the perfect fit for us too. I wish Nissan took advantage of their lead & heeded the suggestions of their early EV supporters. The vehicle looks pretty good now, is really functional, but needs consumers' confidence on the TMS. Range like the BOLT's would bring it all. I'm not bitter about the past as I signed on the dotted line re battery risks not covered. But it's about 7 yrs later... really hoping Nissan will put these features in the 2019, not 2020 or later!

cwerdna said:
LeftieBiker said:
"Vaporware" is a product that doesn't exist except in advertising pitches and brochures. You need a word that may not yet exist. Maybe "Else-ware."
LOL! I should've said something like virtually vaporware.
alozzy said:
The Kona EV might be a compliance car, but I doubt it. At the very least, I would think it will be available in other ZEV states (Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Vermont) and probably some Canadian markets too.
How's Hyundai doing w/the Ioniq EV in those CARB emission states? :) AFAIK, it's not attainable even in Nor Cal.

Did you look at those US sales numbers?

Lol, love this forum! Vaporware, Else-Ware, Virtually-Vaporware :D

DarthPuppy said:
The Clarity is excellent except for the wheelchair needing the hatchback. Also, the OP indicate a desire for a smaller car for ease of in-city parking. The Clarity does not fit well in that regard. However, the longer length does provide for a nicer ride. And I suspect his family members will appreciate the roominess of the interior. But though it looks sorta like a hatchback, it isn't a real one so the cargo area is sharply limited.

I have to say it is nice to finally have a bunch of choices to pick from. A decade ago, there were none. 6 years ago, you had just Tesla, Leaf and Volt. Now there are many choices, especially if an older Leaf met his range needs.

One option I haven't heard mentioned yet but might be an excellent fit for the OP if he can still find one available - the Mercedes B. Last model year was 2017. Range should be fine for the OP's stated needs. Size seems good. Should be able to handle the wheelchair.

We considered a used RAV4EV & LEAF, but not the Mercedes B tho. Worried about issues on the RAV4EV as well as the Mercedes B. Any merit on those worries? Do people like their Mercedes B?

Haven't got to see the Clarity yet. From comments, it sounds pretty nice, but it might not be the utilitarian hatch we're seeking. Time is flying by. Lol, the good thing about that is that'll bring the end of the year closer and new EV models?! There was/will be an EV event in Sacramento, CA. Would there be one coming up in the Bay Area soon? Those are nice as various vehicles are available to check out sans sales pressure. :)

Definitely grateful too about the various EV choices.

nerk said:
Not sure if it was mentioned or not...

But I'd consider the e-golf in your research, if you can get your hands on one...

It was a very close toss up between the 2018 leaf and e-golf for me, the bolt and i3 were too expensive and too small. I'd probably consider spending the extra buck on the model 3, if they made a hatch version and get AWD...

The Bolt doesn't even have adaptive cruise, the e-golf you can actually set a state of charge to charge up to, has more regen modes, a nicer interior than the 2018 leaf. Don't get me wrong... I'm still very happy with the 2018 Leaf, just ignore all the flack around TMS and the RapidGate,... To me (pnad its a non-issue since I just use it for daily commuting to work and back...

I had a refundable deposit on both vehicles, in the end it came down to availability for me.... I put a deposit for the e-golf last August and a deposit on the 2018 on launch day back in September :D ... Got my Leaf delivered in March, still had no delivery estimate for the e-golf :x ...

Anyhow, that's my nickel's worth (pennies don't exist in Canada anymore, so I can't give 2 cents :lol: ) of thoughts on comparison...

Thank you! Great points & agree. More than pennies & nickel's worth :D

Do we trust VW? Golf has a nicer interior than the 2018 LEAF?

We've only put a deposit w/Tesla. Did you request/receive your VW one already? Easy?

Have you considered a used leaf with a new battery? I looked at 2012 today that looked like new with a new battery for $6850 and 27K miles. To me that seems like the bargain of the century if the range is acceptable. With the money you save in up front costs, the options you have for an occasional long trip, well they are huge.

I love my leaf so maybe I'm biased though :D

mmmike said:
Have you considered a used leaf with a new battery? I looked at 2012 today that looked like new with a new battery for $6850 and 27K miles. To me that seems like the bargain of the century if the range is acceptable. With the money you save in up front costs, the options you have for an occasional long trip, well they are huge.

I love my leaf so maybe I'm biased though :D
Interesting that the current owners do not want to keep the car.

I like the used leaf idea, obviously.

e-Golf is a great idea. I have never even seen one over here, but around SF there are several for sale for $15 to $19k. Why wait for a new one ? Trunk might be better than leaf. 83 mile range.. meh.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mdId=56107&mkId=20089&page=1&perPage=20&rd=100&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT&showMore=true&sort=relevance&zc=94110

The Merc was a good idea also, I thought about that last year, but no QC option! seriously? Sometimes that is really useful.

They never added QC to the B? That is a real shame. I've only occasionally needed QC, but it is nice when you do need it.

I loved my eGolf. My only problem was it was hard to get into with my bad left hip. My current B250E works a lot better for me. Most people do not have my problems.

The VW and I think the Bolt have CCS fast charging.

DarthPuppy said:
They never added QC to the B? That is a real shame. I've only occasionally needed QC, but it is nice when you do need it.

If you need fast charging (I do not). Tony Williams has A Chademo kit for the car. I think it is around 3K plus installation.

Since he developed the kit for the RAV4 EV and both cars use a Tesla drive train it was easy to modify it for the B.

Was hoping our well-loved, decades-old van that fell back into the role of our daily driver would hold out another 6 mths. Unfortunately, it's come to need routine work that'll cost more than it's value.

Are the 2019 Bolts arriving in the SF Bay Area? Also considering the 2018 Bolt.

How far away is the 2019 LEAF? Sounds like longer range & TMS on this might happen.

Any recommendations for a/some SF Bay Area Nissan/Chevy salesperson? Lol, or if it's worth the trip... one a little farther?

Thanks in advance!

GoingGreener said:
Was hoping our well-loved, decades-old van that fell back into the role of our daily driver would hold out another 6 mths. Unfortunately, it's come to need routine work that'll cost more than it's value.

Are the 2019 Bolts arriving in the SF Bay Area? Also considering the 2018 Bolt.

How far away is the 2019 LEAF? Sounds like longer range & TMS on this might happen.

Any recommendations for a/some SF Bay Area Nissan/Chevy salesperson? Lol, or if it's worth the trip... one a little farther?

Thanks in advance!
Repairs may cost more than its value, but does it cost more to fix it than to buy something new?

LEAF is expected around year end, ie January.
How about the Clarity as a PHEV option.

dm33 - Very true about the repairs vs. something new. That's why we've kept this vehicle as a backup until it became our only vehicle 'til the "next" EV. Now, the list is growing longer of things not working and safety is important as I do transport family & neighbors at times. It's been such a workhorse that we're still considering keeping it around :D

The Clarity is nice. It's just a tad long so we'd have to pass up a lot of the shorter parking spaces in the city. We really can utilize a hatch too, which it doesn't have.

Our 2011 LEAF build was reliable enough, so we trust the 2019 LEAF the most. Wish it arrived sooner :|

Thank you dm33.

Back