Flat Tire can't be plugged due to use of Leaf's sealant

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resurrecting an old thread.
2015 LeafS, OEM Ecopias, 23k miles, about 70% worn. Picked up a sheet metal screw. I had NOT read this thread, decided to use the ContiMobilityKit (mostly as a test, as I'm going to replace tires soon!).
Observations:
1) While filling the tire, puncture continued to leak. Pump managed to get it to about 40psi, leak hissing and sputtering sealant.
2) Following the instructions, I drove 4-5 miles at around 35mph. Sealant ultimately sealed the puncture.
3) Checked the pressure, right at 32psi. Overnight, no loss of pressure, stayed at 32psi.
4) Aired up to 38psi, still no loss of pressure.
5) 2 days later, drove to NTB. Tire removed from wheel, quite a bit of liquid sealant in the tire. Tech cleaned tire, rim, sensor thoroughly (I watched). Area around puncture adequately buffed, applied T patch. PSI set at 38.
6) TPMS cleaned, appears to be functioning properly.
7) Tire PSI still at 38psi 2 days later.

I'm planning on replacing the tire(s) in a month or two, so this whole ordeal was to test the sealant method. I appreciated the thread about possible contamination of the belts, but I'm not sure I agree. I suppose even a microscopic amount of sealant could cause the belts to degrade, but I just can't wrap my brain around the concept that the sealant, going from liquid to semi-solid (plugging the hole) would have enough time to contaminate the belts enough for further degradation.
Opinion, of course. I'll be anxious to see, as the TX heat builds, if I have any issues. (Whoever posted the alarming thread about the tire exploding and harming pedestrians...I don't get it!)

Decided to replace the ContiMobility Kit: OEM from dealer, $370!!!!!
Comparable kit from TireRack (ContiComfortKit): $73, free shipping.

When I received the kit from TireRack, I noticed the expiration date was 3 years away. Conti and TireRack advertise a 4 year shelf life.

Phoned TireRack to inform them, they knocked $20 off the price.

So, for $53, I have a new kit FOR EMERGENCY PURPOSES ONLY! I won't ever use it again, unless it's absolutely necessary. FYI, the ComfortKit is slightly larger than the OEM kit, but still fits in the OEM cubby.

I've decided to see how long the plugged tire will last, hopefully another 5-6k miles, 5-6 months. I'm mildly concerned about belt delamination, based on the post about moisture getting between the belts. The car is a local-only daily driver.

13 days, ambient temps 47-88f, car driven full range of speeds, the repaired tire hasn't lost a breath of air, still at 38psi.

If there's any risk of tread separation, caused by moisture getting between the plies, I won't know for some time.

Until I see any compromise of the tire, I say BS about Conti sealant damaging a tire.

I personally don't bother with the goop if it's a regular puncture, I just plug it on the road. Not everyone might be inclined towards such an activity, but it's not too difficult. I normally don't even bother taking the tire off the car, I just move the car until the puncture site is available. Just throw a pair of locking pliars in with the plug kit and you're set.

gncndad said:
Decided to replace the ContiMobility Kit: OEM from dealer, $370!!!!!
Comparable kit from TireRack (ContiComfortKit): $73, free shipping.

When I received the kit from TireRack, I noticed the expiration date was 3 years away. Conti and TireRack advertise a 4 year shelf life.

Phoned TireRack to inform them, they knocked $20 off the price.

So, for $53, I have a new kit FOR EMERGENCY PURPOSES ONLY! I won't ever use it again, unless it's absolutely necessary. FYI, the ComfortKit is slightly larger than the OEM kit, but still fits in the OEM cubby.
i also bought from Tirerack.com but I checked now and they no longer carry the replacement kit I purchased. When I bought 6 months ago I paid $61 for two kits so I hope to be set for life. Ebay is also a good source, and Lexus sells a kit for about $60

This is my experience with the kit -- like yours, quite positive.
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24047&p=496227&hilit=kit#p496227

Back