kmartyn
Delivery Date: 15 Aug 2014

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:27 am

Just picked up our new blue SV. Ordered mid February, in Canada . Won’t get to play with it and plug in Leaf Spy until tomorrow, but initial impressions are very favorable.

The blue is really nice and matches the blue interior stitching and rear trim strip.

E pedal is great. Lane keep assist seemed to drift a bit side to side in the lane, but I did not get a chance to try on the highway. Intelligent cruise control worked well, but I personally found the default 3 bar distance was too much, and backed it off to two. Really need to do a highway test.

Alta Nissan RH, say sales for the Leaf are still strong. They have delivered 46 units to date, and have over 60 on order. Sales rep claimed this one dealer ship accounts for 9% of all Leaf sales in Canada.
They do have a red SL on the floor now. They are proceeding on the expectation that the Ontario rebate will be reduced to about $5k after the election, and that existing deals will be honored for about 90 days after the change.

They have not heard any encouraging words on availability of 2019 model with a larger battery, and are taking a we will believe it when we see it approach.

I asked about the poor performance of the app, and he explained this was a mistake made by Nissan. To save costs, they went with satellite radio data, rather than 3G. There is apparently no SIM card or 3G modem in the Leaf sold in Canada. This makes it slower, and satellite reception dependent. I have read on this forum that earlier Leafs in the US did have 3G and SIM cards. Can anybody else confirm this?

Before buying the 2018, we had a 2015 Leaf, bought in 2014.

kmartyn
Delivery Date: 15 Aug 2014

Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:38 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
My advise is just keep watching for more news and updates on this topic, however don't worry too much about it if you don't need much Rapid Charging.

There is still an elephant in the room, and that elephant is battery pack life.

With an 8 year, 3 bar warranty, I am not too worried about that. The Leaf we bought in 2014 and just sold, only recently dropped one bar. However this is a more dense battery pack.

vladm2018
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2018

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:34 pm

kmartyn wrote:I asked about the poor performance of the app, and he explained this was a mistake made by Nissan. To save costs, they went with satellite radio data, rather than 3G. There is apparently no SIM card or 3G modem in the Leaf sold in Canada. This makes it slower, and satellite reception dependent. I have read on this forum that earlier Leafs in the US did have 3G and SIM cards. Can anybody else confirm this?

The story does not sound right. Satellite communication would be a terrible idea in the city, because it require to have the sky visible. I have spoke to the technical support about connection issues on our new Leaf and they have some software issues with their server not communicating properly with new Leafs. The Serius XM that provides communication service is in the US and serves both Canadian and US Nissans and Infinitis. The info screen on the Leaf shows IMEI and other cellular information. I suggest to call NissanConnect support and complain about the issue. Even if they know about it more people complain faster it will be resolved.

kennethbokor
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 May 2018

Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:57 pm

kmartyn wrote:Just picked up our new blue SV. Ordered mid February, in Canada . Won’t get to play with it and plug in Leaf Spy until tomorrow, but initial impressions are very favorable.

The blue is really nice and matches the blue interior stitching and rear trim strip.

E pedal is great. Lane keep assist seemed to drift a bit side to side in the lane, but I did not get a chance to try on the highway. Intelligent cruise control worked well, but I personally found the default 3 bar distance was too much, and backed it off to two. Really need to do a highway test.

Alta Nissan RH, say sales for the Leaf are still strong. They have delivered 46 units to date, and have over 60 on order. Sales rep claimed this one dealer ship accounts for 9% of all Leaf sales in Canada.
They do have a red SL on the floor now. They are proceeding on the expectation that the Ontario rebate will be reduced to about $5k after the election, and that existing deals will be honored for about 90 days after the change.

They have not heard any encouraging words on availability of 2019 model with a larger battery, and are taking a we will believe it when we see it approach.

I asked about the poor performance of the app, and he explained this was a mistake made by Nissan. To save costs, they went with satellite radio data, rather than 3G. There is apparently no SIM card or 3G modem in the Leaf sold in Canada. This makes it slower, and satellite reception dependent. I have read on this forum that earlier Leafs in the US did have 3G and SIM cards. Can anybody else confirm this?

Hi thanks for the info. The EHVIP info is new to me and I'm going to try to get this confirmed.

For the 60 kWh model, I've heard from a source that won't be shipping until 2020 with production starting late next year. So if you are waiting for that, it will be 2 years by the looks of it.
---------
New Leaf Owner: Just ordered Feb 24 2018, 2018 Leaf SL in Jade Frost. Expected ETA by May 30 2018.

backtolifeback
Delivery Date: 02 Apr 2018

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:56 pm

kmartyn wrote:Just picked up our new blue SV. Ordered mid February, in Canada . Won’t get to play with it and plug in Leaf Spy until tomorrow, but initial impressions are very favorable.

Congratulation on your new Leaf. I too picked up my blue SV this week. I also love the colour. So far, I am loving it. Have been using it in Drive, B mode as well as Epedal in both of those modes. When I drove home from the dealership on the highway, I noticed the range really dropping. I will have to test more on the highway in the future to better judge. In the city, it's been great. With the heat on, it does show a drop in range of about 20kms or so. I had a Chargepoint home charger installed yesterday and it passed ESA today, so I will mail in the rebate this week. I was concerned as I had the EVSE plugged in all night yesterday while is was raining really hard. It didn't seem to be an issue today, however I don't know if all the rain can cause future issues on the Leaf.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:00 pm

It's fine to charge in the rain. If you use a portable EVSE make sure that it is protected at the plug, and at least with the older ones, covered at the "brick" section if possible.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Astros
Delivery Date: 28 Apr 2018
Leaf Number: 306739

Mon May 07, 2018 10:44 am

Last week I traded in my nearly-new 2017 Leaf SV for a Jade Frost 2018 Leaf SV, with the Cold Weather and Technology packages. I leased the 2017 Leaf as a replacement for my 2013 SV late last year for $100/month with $3000 down, and we loved that car (and the price!). But, the 2018 model seemed improved in almost every way. I test drove one for an hour last October, and liked the instrument layout, improved soundproofing, and ProPilot. So, with the Washington State sales tax exemption expiring here at the end of the month, I asked around at several local Nissan dealerships, and found one that seemed absolutely desperate to get rid of their new Leafs. In the end, they paid off my lease and $3000 downpayment, and sold me the 2018 for $32,600, including all fees, accessories, and a small bit of sales tax.

We've only had the new Leaf for a week and have put about 400 miles on it so far, but we really like the car so far. It really is much quieter inside than the older model, and we seem to be getting slightly better mileage from it as well, by a bit over 5%. Also, ProPilot really does make freeway driving more relaxing for us, and we really like how the navigation system now puts clear turn information right in the driver's display. That said, I do wish it had real A/C vents to the back seats for my kids, and I worry some about quick charging on our longer trips. We drive 300-500 miles in a day maybe ten times a year, and my rough calculations suggest that despite the more aggressive charging taper we should still save time on those trips compared to the 30kWh Leaf, but it will be disappointing if they end up taking even longer!
Jade Frost 2018 SV

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Mon May 07, 2018 11:48 am

If your calculations are based on 70MPH speeds or faster, remember that slowing down to 60-65 will save you time, especially if the QC gets throttled back.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Storksb
Delivery Date: 09 May 2018

Sun May 13, 2018 3:48 am

Just joined the forum as I picked up my new 2018 SL on Wednesday 9th. I bought off the lot here in Springfield VA getting the only Scarlet Ember SL within a hundred mile radius. This trim and colour combination seem to be fairly rare in this area.

Not new to the Leaf family, my wife drives a 2016 SV for her daily commute in DC, I have always liked the way that it drives the few times a have got behind the wheel. My daily drive for the last 3 years has been a Ford Fusion Energi. Love the car, the handling it's comfort and tech but the lease is almost up and as Ford have done nothing to really improve their EV car range I decided to look elsewhere.

After a month of research and test driving I plumped for the Leaf after test driving an SV last weekend. Did consider the Bolt and Honda Clarity but neither matched overall package of the Leaf.
Last edited by Storksb on Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kennethbokor
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 May 2018

Mon May 14, 2018 6:11 pm

Picked up my 2018 SL Jade Frost. Delivery experience was great, even though I already knew most about the features and driving the car anyway. Love it, love it.

I'll post a pic when the OP let me do it.
---------
New Leaf Owner: Just ordered Feb 24 2018, 2018 Leaf SL in Jade Frost. Expected ETA by May 30 2018.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”