Are 2018 owners getting used to the instrumentation?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vladm2018 said:
We are using digital speedometer screen all the time and there is a menu setting to disable ProPilot to take over it. You can still see smaller ProPilot icons on the right.

I must have lucked out and selected that, as I'm still seeing the speed with PP as well.

webeleafowners said:
Yah the digital speedo was easy to find on the left right scroll. But the bug blue analog is not my taste. Ahh. Who knows maybe in a couple years it’ll change. Other than that I loved the car.

I disagree. I love the analog Speedo. I do think analog is way better than just numbers. Analog is a gauge, just by looking at it you can tell. You need to used to gauge, after a week or so you are better off. If you see numbers, you need to process in your head what that number means.

Look at some track cars, most gauges seems to be analog. Because they can digest that information quickly, when pointed to the reading using a needle. When accelerating, decelerating you can see how quickly needle moves, on digital it is some numbers, you don't really understand changes either.

Many agree graphs are better than seing numbers, I think it is the same.

If you want a digital you can always get that on the screen, and it will not be overridden by Pro-Pilot. You can enjoy the digital if that is what you want.

I honestly love having a analog speedometer. YMMV

powersurge said:
I would probably just leave the default screen alone...

It is not as hard as you think. Select what screen setting you want before driving, and go. Don't try to change while driving. But I would say screens are faily good.

Propilot info battery % info is always visible what ever you choose. (Only missing in pro-pilot screen is distance bars when you select non pro-pilot screen). Other than that, I would say, overall usable and well done. Good resolution as well.

Yah, a lot of it might be just what you get used to. It’s not a show stopper either way. I still think we will be buying a long range leaf in two years but just in case we’ll be throwing down a thousand bucks on a model 3 deposit this fall. The timing will be tricky and it may not be in our budget. Time will tell.

I disagree. I love the analog Speedo. I do think analog is way better than just numbers. Analog is a gauge, just by looking at it you can tell. You need to used to gauge, after a week or so you are better off. If you see numbers, you need to process in your head what that number means.

This seems to vary from person to person. I had analog gauges for 42 years, and liked them fine. Once we got a Prius with a digital display, though, I found it superior for driving, and still do. (I definitely don't find the Prius itself superior for driving, though!) It's telling that few if any people complained about the digital speedo in the Gen I leaf, while many are complaining about the analog speedo in the Leaf "Too."

Back to my own experience. Today I used LeafSpy Pro to disable the automatic locking. I'd forgotten how unpleasant it is to have the car lock you in as you drive away, and then make you unlock the doors yourself if you park but leave it "running." I disabled that right away in my 2013, and while there is no info on doing it with the lock button on the 2018, I suspect that if you play with holding it down, it may be possible that way as well.

I also found (in the manual) how to use the auto high beam function, although I have yet to try it. That will be handy, if it works well enough. I don't think I've mentioned it, but while the high beams on the 2018 aren't the best I've ever experienced, they are much, much better than the Gen I high beams! The low beams, though, are a little worse They remind me of the aftermarket LED beams on my Vectrix maxi-scooter: very bright, but the low beam band is too narrow, and a bit too low.

Back