Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd just toss in that resistance goes up as a battery degrades, HX goes down as the battery degrades.

It might be that HX is the inverse of resistance but I haven't seen any documentation saying exactly what HX is and I have no reason to say it is or isn't anything else.

Sorry to interrupt your conversation but I have a LEAF Spy question...

I now have the recommended LEAF Spy dongle and am still having focus issues with LEAF Spy staying on while car is off but charging. This used to not be an issue. Is there a setting, workaround, etc I should try? I do have the "always on" option enabled.

dhanson865 said:
I'd just toss in that resistance goes up as a battery degrades, HX goes down as the battery degrades.

It might be that HX is the inverse of resistance but I haven't seen any documentation saying exactly what HX is and I have no reason to say it is or isn't anything else.

My Leaf data today;
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25519&start=50#p523503

Hopefully Turbo3 will provide info on whether LeafSpy Pro ever provided an actual calculation for battery resistance.
If so, is it still in the app?

lorenfb said:
Hopefully Turbo3 will provide info on whether LeafSpy Pro ever provided an actual calculation for battery resistance.
My understanding, from posts long ago, is that Hx is thought to be related to the inverse of resistance (conductance) which is why it goes down.

Hx is just a value read from the Leaf's BMS ECU. Only the Nissan engineers back in Japan know its real meaning.

DaveinOlyWA said:

I now have the recommended LEAF Spy dongle and am still having focus issues with LEAF Spy staying on while car is off but charging. This used to not be an issue. Is there a setting, workaround, etc I should try? I do have the "always on" option enabled.
You seem to have a number of Leafs. Is this happening with all of them or just one? If just one, which one?

Turbo3 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

You seem to have a number of Leafs. Is this happening with all of them or just one? If just one, which one?

Well, it started with 2016. The issue is I rarely ran LEAF Spy other than to collect daily stats so it was just a few mins in the morning. So not sure how well the focus was there although I am relatively sure the 2013 would stay focused as long as it was charging.

The 2018 sometimes stays on for 4-5 mins when charging after car is powered off and sometimes its longer. no consistency.

Turbo3 said:
lorenfb said:
My understanding, from posts long ago, is that Hx is thought to be related to the inverse of resistance (conductance) which is why it goes down.

Hx is just a value read from the Leaf's BMS ECU. Only the Nissan engineers back in Japan know its real meaning.

Thanks for the reply. As I've been using LeafDD to actually calculate the battery resistance, it never compares to Hx even if one takes the
inverse (conductance). The only possibly is if Hx is the average resistance over time.

In any case, could you actually have LeafSpy calculate the battery resistance by just using the drop in battery voltage divided
by the corresponding increase in battery current? As an example, for a current exceeding 50 amps, just measure the battery
voltage decline and do a division. The way LeafDD does it by sensing the accelerator pedal being fully depressed and monitoring
current and voltage for a few seconds. This would be helpful in doing a comparative analysis of the 24/30/40 kWhr Leaf batteries
as it relates to battery degradation. An alternative is to do like you did for your Tesla app (TM-Spy) where you provided a graphical
display of the battery voltage verses the battery current under a heavy load. That graphic was excellent! From the graphic, one can
determine that the battery resistance is about 77 mohms (100 volts / 1300 amps). The battery power loss is about 130 kW.
Calculations values based on Tesla page link below. Here it is.

Thanks

Found the Tesla link;

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1381783/

DaveinOlyWA said:
Turbo3 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Well, it started with 2016. The issue is I rarely ran LEAF Spy other than to collect daily stats so it was just a few mins in the morning. So not sure how well the focus was there although I am relatively sure the 2013 would stay focused as long as it was charging.

The 2018 sometimes stays on for 4-5 mins when charging after car is powered off and sometimes its longer. no consistency.

I will chime in and say that I used to be able to record charging sessions on my 2015, but updates to Leaf Spy, my phone, and/or the Bluetooth adapter have made it consistently drop out after a short time. I had to replace my old Kyocera Event when it started to fail to save data and had problems with SD cards. I replaced it with a BLU (not sure which model) and then had to replace the Bluetooth unit because the BLU would not recognize it. With my present set up, I can record DCQC charging sessions if I don't touch the phone. Changing screens will often cause it to lose connection. It will not stay connected more than a short time when charging on L2, but I don't know exactly when this started.

I am going to be gone for about 10 days so will not have time to look into this until I get back.

As always, an ELM trace would help me understand what is causing the connection to drop.

My guess would be one of the ECUs being read from is going to sleep during charging causing an endless retry on the ECU that is no longer communicating. The fix would be to skip reading from that ECU.

As for the internal resistance question, you can actually use TM-Spy on the Leaf to capture the amps/volts trace. Just need to make a recipe to graph the Message ID that has the amps/volts data and select graph at start so TM-Spy does not try to capture any Tesla only frames. I can look into what that recipe would be when I get back.

Using that technique TM-Spy can be used to graph any Message Id from any vehicle. I use that technique for testing TM-Spy since I only have a Leaf.

I have a question about TPMS settings after a tire rotation.

When I had my tires rotated previously, I went through the calibration steps, but I thought I'd use the new-ish feature to swap locations.
Should that affect the mapping of the TPMS ID numbers in the Tire Registration screen?
Mine are still in the same place as they were before.

I see "Enable Tire Remapping", with an A-B that I selected, and I got a little shaded set of arrows.
I drove a little, but the Tire Registration showed the same positions for the TPMS IDs.
I didn't notice the actual tire pressures before and after on the Power+Pressure screen to track it there.

I see "Enable Virtual Registration" which looks like a different way of saying the same thing as the above.
I clicked that one, and the TPMS ID are still in the same locations, but this time, I did notice that the pressures moved in the Power+Pressure screen. (conveniently, I have 39, 39-1/4, 39-1/2, 39-3/4, so I can see them move).

Now, I don't know whether I changed them, and changed them back, or where my tires are actually located.

Is the Tire Registration TPMS listing supposed to change?

ClarD said:

When I had my tires rotated previously, I went through the calibration steps, but I thought I'd use the new-ish feature to swap locations.
Should that affect the mapping of the TPMS ID numbers in the Tire Registration screen?

I see "Enable Tire Remapping", with an A-B that I selected, and I got a little shaded set of arrows.
I drove a little, but the Tire Registration showed the same positions for the TPMS IDs.
I didn't notice the actual tire pressures before and after on the Power+Pressure screen to track it there.

I see "Enable Virtual Registration" which looks like a different way of saying the same thing as the above.
I clicked that one, and the TPMS ID are still in the same locations, but this time, I did notice that the pressures moved in the Power+Pressure screen. (conveniently, I have 39, 39-1/4, 39-1/2, 39-3/4, so I can see them move).

Now, I don't know whether I changed them, and changed them back, or where my tires are actually located.

That reminds me , I still haven't done a virtual swap since rotating them last October :lol:
Maybe wait till this October and everything will be normal.

ClarD said:

Both Tire Remapping and Virtual Tire Registration just change where a tire's pressure appears on the screen. TPMS ID locations are unchanged as that comes from the Leaf and only a real tire registration would change them.

GerryAZ said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Turbo3 said:

I will chime in and say that I used to be able to record charging sessions on my 2015, but updates to Leaf Spy, my phone, and/or the Bluetooth adapter have made it consistently drop out after a short time. I had to replace my old Kyocera Event when it started to fail to save data and had problems with SD cards. I replaced it with a BLU (not sure which model) and then had to replace the Bluetooth unit because the BLU would not recognize it. With my present set up, I can record DCQC charging sessions if I don't touch the phone. Changing screens will often cause it to lose connection. It will not stay connected more than a short time when charging on L2, but I don't know exactly when this started.

In my 2018 Leaf. when turned off, in a about a minute or so Leaf Spy go from Green to Amber and also I can hear Leaf making faint clicking soung (relay some where in the BMS I think). Once I exit from leaf spy clicking sound stops. My assesment is OBD port work but something else is turned off and leaf spy unable to read. Thought will write here as this seems relevent to this thread.

Is it possible to show a a Temperature gauge on the charge screen. Currently if you look at a charge screen there is no axis for temperature line (black line). This is becoming more important for us who are experiancing Rapid gate.

If you don't have a axis you can align it to kW axis on left in C or %charge axis on right in F. Both are viable.

I have been able to record several complete charging sessions on my 2015 SL since I installed the latest beta test version of LEAF Spy Pro. The relay that you hear clicking is in a relay panel under the hood on the right (passenger) side near the firewall. It switches power to some control modules.

GerryAZ said:
I have been able to record several complete charging sessions on my 2015 SL since I installed the latest beta test version of LEAF Spy Pro.

Thank you for the info. Can someone provide details on how to get beta version. I have the paid pro version of Leaf SpyPro on Android downloaded from Playstore. Can @Turbo3 Help?

borugee said:
GerryAZ said:
I have been able to record several complete charging sessions on my 2015 SL since I installed the latest beta test version of LEAF Spy Pro.

Thank you for the info. Can someone provide details on how to get beta version. I have the paid pro version of Leaf SpyPro on Android downloaded from Playstore. Can @Turbo3 Help?
There currently is no beta version.

Release version 0.44.116 is the latest version of LeafSpy Pro.

Back