Options for 2012 Leaf w/8 bars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwendt

Last year we bought a 2012 Leaf with 9 bars. We needed something fast as our Mini was going to need some major work done. Yesterday it dropped to 8. I have enough to make to & from work, but usually charge at work. We still have enough range to make to Downtown KC. I see that refurbished packs are available now in Japan for a decent price. I would be more inclined to spring for a new replacement if range would be higher than the original, but we're on a tight budget. (G-D student loans!) I love the car and know that they'll last for several 100K, minus the battery.

The question going around in my head is - When do you say good bye to your Leaf?

I would say when the range no longer meets your needs. I believe that at some point refurbished batteries will be available either through Nissan or through third parties - much like Prius batteries. Until then, it's either pay for a new battery through Nissan or live with the degraded range. Hopefully, sometime soon, not only will refurbished batteries be available, but also higher capacity batteries.

No question about it.....

When you bought it last year, your thinking should have included the death of the battery....

Your smartest move is to $$$ and replace the battery... If not, time to sell the car for little, and learn from the experience.

You didn't state the miles or date of manufacture, but...if the miles are low and you are within 12 months of the (settlement based) 5 yr battery capacity warranty (which may both be true), you might be able to solicit Nissan for a "shared" replacement cost.
Call the EV Hotline and good luck!

You might be able to get a salvage condition 2011/2012 LEAF for cheap (<$2000), drop the battery from it, and then install it in your LEAF but it's certainly not a trivial undertaking. I personally don't think it would be worth the money or effort though, as any salvage 2011/2012 LEAF likely has lost a couple of bars already.

A better option would be a battery pack from a 2013/2014/2015, but that's even more complicated to DIY.

This video gives you an idea of the complexity involved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBBk1ABKftg

GerryAZ said:
Keep driving it until the range no longer meets your needs.
This.

I wouldn't sink any more money into the car if you don't have to. In a couple more years there should be some decently inexpensive EVs available. Maybe the Hyundai Ioniq EV will finally overcome its battery shortage.

garsh said:
In a couple more years there should be some decently inexpensive EVs available. Maybe the Hyundai Ioniq EV will finally overcome its battery shortage.
For now, it still appears to be virtual vaporware in the US: a So Cal only car.

Thanks all! EVs are uncharted territory for me, so I'm trying to get familiar with the pros & cons of owning one.

I agree with others, drive it as long as you can, then sell it.

I am very happy with my 2014 SL that I bought in November for $10,000. I think it was a very smart financial decision. The car looks and runs great. So far, according to Leafspy, the battery is holding up well. But I'm worried that in four years if the battery degrades, then the car doesn't meet my needs and won't be worth much because the battery needs to be replaced.

Back