2018 Leaf - Charger throws fault on 240V

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingdong

Drove off the lot Saturday, May 12. Plugged in the included charger to a 240V wall outlet in my house and the car charges for about 10 seconds before the charger throws a fault. Middle light blinking with the other two solid. The charger works fine at 120V and outside charging stations work fine.

Brought the car to the dealership and they tried a charger from another car and same fault. Only thing they could do was put in a ticket and wait to hear back from Nissan. It's been a couple days now and all the service rep can tell me is "Nissan works these case by case, starting with safety concerns first. Since this is more of an inconvenience and not related to safety, we might not hear back from them right away."

I'm pretty disappointed with the reaction time from Nissan. Should I expect to have to wait several days just to hear back from Nissan anytime there's an issue with the car? This my first EV, so I don't know if this is the standard.

I'm curious about other Leaf owners' experiences with Nissan service and if anyone has any idea why my brand new Leaf is having issues.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, dingdong!

I assume you are talking about the new EVSE which is designed to work with both 120VAC and 240VAC? I am asking because my understanding is that that feature is an option and not all new LEAFs include that particular EVSE.

I have the same issue
Brought back to dealer,got a new charger...does the same thing

This is interesting. I now have a growing list of incompatible charging "options" and I also had my EVSE fail when trying to use it at Wild Horse Renewable Energy Complex. But this EVSE was tested successfully at another location. Thinking maybe I need to retest?

Nix01 said:
I have the same issue
Brought back to dealer,got a new charger...does the same thing

Do you "really" mean charger or did they give you a different cable AKA EVSE? I am suspecting the latter although the former has obvious issues.

Nix01 said:
Received brand new portable charger,same one that comes with the SL

He's inferring that the only portable "charger" is built into the car. You get a portable EVSE. Terminology is important. Just like all the "charging stations" are just L1/L2 EVSE's but the L3 CHAdeMO stations are chargers.

Nix01 said:
Received brand new portable charger,same one that comes with the SL
Please see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=262630#p262630. For L1 and L2 AC J1772 charging, the charger is on-board the car. The external unit is an EVSE, not a charger.

Also see https://web.archive.org/web/20150604142825/http://www.sae.org/smartgrid/chargingprimer.pdf and https://openev.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000052074-basics-of-sae-j1772.

My 2014 Mercedes had a cooling pump failure. It worked fine at 120V@12A but it threw error codes at 40A and 240V. The 2018's EVSE is still an unknown but it is the first time for high power.

Hi Ding Dong.....I had received my leaf earlier in the week, and installed a 220volt plug in the garage 2 nights ago....

I plugged in the evse to the wall and car and experienced the same symptoms as you....evse throws the fault light and charge light blinks after about 15secs of connecting to the car.

I will also be going to nissan on monday....compare notes?

Hoping there is a solution.....

Hi....I'm reading 216v when I measure hot to hot.

From ground to either hot, its 120v.

Very weird!

Prez34 said:

Very weird!
It's probably 208v, just reading a bit high. At work I regularly seen 212v NL from a 208v service but load it down to max and it can go as low as 198v. I'm guessing your new OEM EVSE will not work, until they correct the 208v issue!

Prez34 said:

Very weird!

Since you have 120/208-volt service (two phases and neutral from a three-phase source) you will need to obtain an EVSE that works on 208-240 volts. Clipper Creek is a good choice. I have an HCS-50P (specify 14-50 plug when ordering) that works fine on the 120/208-volt service at my workshop garage.

I find it really hard to believe that Nissan did not design their new portable EVSE to work on the common "RV receptacle" voltage available in commercial installations in North America.

Just to be clear about this issue:
1) Does charging fail with this 2018 EVSE/Leaf combo at multiple 14-50 outlets (so it can't be a problem with just a particular outlet)?
2) Has a pre-2018 Leaf been able to successfully charge using this outlet/2018 EVSE (so it can't be just a problem with the EVSE design)?

For what its worth, I can say that I have recently successfully charged a 2011 Leaf multiple times using a 2018 Nissan EVSE plugged into a 14-50R outlet on a dedicated 50a circuit protected by a 50a GFCI breaker.

MikeD said:
Just to be clear about this issue:
1) Does charging fail with this 2018 EVSE/Leaf combo at multiple 14-50 outlets (so it can't be a problem with just a particular outlet)?
2) Has a pre-2018 Leaf been able to successfully charge using this outlet/2018 EVSE (so it can't be just a problem with the EVSE design)?

For what its worth, I can say that I have recently successfully charged a 2011 Leaf multiple times using a 2018 Nissan EVSE plugged into a 14-50R outlet on a dedicated 50a circuit protected by a 50a GFCI breaker.

Try plugging the EVSE into a receptacle fed from a 208-volt source and then try charging the car.

Back