Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3,

Sorry for the misinformation, I thought it was a beta version when I last updated it. The version I am using that seems to stay connected while charging is v0.42.116en. Thanks for your efforts in developing this application. Aside from all the information it provides while driving (tire pressures, battery information, etc.), the ability to read and clear trouble codes has saved me from calling a tow truck several times when charging system errors caused by defective public charging stations prevented charging at other stations until errors were cleared.

Edited to add: The version shows up as v0.42.116en in the application, but Google Play Store shows the latest version as 0.44.116 updated on March 28, 2018. Google Play indicates that I have the latest version installed on both my BlackBerry PRIV and the BLU unactivated phone that I use in the car as my full-time monitor. Both devices display v0.42.116en in the application.

GerryAZ said:
Turbo3,

Sorry for the misinformation, I thought it was a beta version when I last updated it. The version I am using that seems to stay connected while charging is v0.42.116en. Thanks for your efforts in developing this application. Aside from all the information it provides while driving (tire pressures, battery information, etc.), the ability to read and clear trouble codes has saved me from calling a tow truck several times when charging system errors caused by defective public charging stations prevented charging at other stations until errors were cleared.

Edited to add: The version shows up as v0.42.116en in the application, but Google Play Store shows the latest version as 0.44.116 updated on March 28, 2018. Google Play indicates that I have the latest version installed on both my BlackBerry PRIV and the BLU unactivated phone that I use in the car as my full-time monitor. Both devices display v0.42.116en in the application.
Yes, it is actually 0.42.116. Not sure what I did to get the Store listing to have the wrong number.

The ".116" part is the most important part.

Can someone please tell me why these two leafspy screenshots are so different? The dealer gave me the first to prove that the four year old batttery was in perfect condition and the history of daily commutes and slow charges seems to fit. One month later I got leafspy myself and took the second screenshot.

How can it get so much worse in a month? Either I’m doing something wrong or the dealer showed me a differently configured report..

I don’t know enough yet to decode it all. Please help me Turbo3 kenobi, you are my only hope..

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0nGY8gBYGSLbUi

Toby

TobyYarwood said:
Can someone please tell me why these two leafspy screenshots are so different?

I see that those are from two different versions of LeafSpy. Visit Settings-Help-Change Log to see if those version numbers line up with a change in the way the SOH was calculated. over 100% is not valid, but was appearing for a lot of people.
Readjustment occurred in LeafSpy, ruining history.

TobyYarwood said:
Can someone please tell me why these two leafspy screenshots are so different?

The first is too good to be believable for a car with near 40,000 miles. The second would be very very good, for a car with 40,000 miles.

The BMS takes time to re-adjust to a more accurate value. That is what I think you are seeing as the report is now more accurate.

LeafSpy reads out the BMS's estimates of capacity. I've learned some ways that these estimates can be changed by driving/charging differently.

It is also possible to reset these estimates to factory new levels. This can be required to be done as part of some repairs/ firmware updates.

A brand new Leaf, zero miles, wouldn't read out as high as the first. While it is possible that under normal driving a better than average pack might get as high as the first Leafspy screen shot (67 AH, etc), at a 1000 miles or so, it will not be that good at near 40,000 miles. As far as I've seen, about the best would be to get near 100,000 miles before loss of 15% and the first bar. So I'd expect about 6% down at minimum at 40,000 miles. The second screenshot is doing slightly better than that. Now maybe a UK leaf battery is better than the US version, and maybe your weather is cooler than the coastal Pacific Northwest USA... I can't have a strong opinion on how accurate the second screenshot is.

To anyone buying a Leaf, if the Leafspy report is too good to be believed, don't believe it. It might not be intentional decept, but then again it might. Proving this would be challanging, at best.

Best bet would be to take a Leaf with known and accurately measured battery condition, and document what Leafspy shows before delivery to the dealer, and sell it to this dealer. Then see how it looks when the dealer shows a Leafspy report to a prospective purchaser. I'm not sure if this would be illegal...Or just embarrassing.

TobyYarwood said:
Can someone please tell me why these two leafspy screenshots are so different? The dealer gave me the first to prove that the four year old batttery was in perfect condition and the history of daily commutes and slow charges seems to fit. One month later I got leafspy myself and took the second screenshot.

How can it get so much worse in a month? Either I’m doing something wrong or the dealer showed me a differently configured report..

I don’t know enough yet to decode it all. Please help me Turbo3 kenobi, you are my only hope..

Toby

I have been using LEAF Spy for a long time so I don't think that one version change would make a significant difference to the readings. I notice several things in looking at the two screenshots:
1. The dealer's screen was frozen, but that should not really matter as long as it was active long enough to get true readings.
2. The AHr, SOH, and Hx readings on the dealer's screen match the default values for a new battery with associated LBC (lithium battery controller) reset.
3. The dealer's screen shows cell voltages that look like a full charge, but SOC is shown as 19.4%. Your screen shows cell voltages commensurate with the SOC percentage.
4. There are a lot of charge cycles for the difference in mileage between the two screens. That implies the car may have been driven a few miles and then charged so that the battery stayed at full charge for extended time. If so, that could accelerate deterioration.

Possibilities that come to mind:
1. Shallow discharge cycles and gentle driving are causing the LBC to misjudge the actual battery capacity and health.
2. Battery was replaced, LBC is learning the characteristics of the new battery, and initial capacity loss is showing on your screen. If so, AHr, SOH, and Hx readings should stabilize soon in your mild climate.
3. The dealer reset the LBC without replacing the battery and the LBC is relearning the actual battery characteristics over time. If so, AHr, SOH, and Hx readings will continue to drop until they match the actual battery characteristics.

Perhaps someone else who is more familiar with LEAF Spy readings from cars in the UK will chime in with more information for you.

GerryAZ said:
I have been using LEAF Spy for a long time so I don't think that one version change would make a significant difference to the readings.

You could scroll backwards to find comments from people that saw a 2.5% drop from one version to another. The next version was supposed to have undone that change, but mine never returned to where it had been previously.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14285&p=521536&hilit=drop+in+soh#p521536

ClarD said:
GerryAZ said:
I have been using LEAF Spy for a long time so I don't think that one version change would make a significant difference to the readings.

You could scroll backwards to find comments from people that saw a 2.5% drop from one version to another. The next version was supposed to have undone that change, but mine never returned to where it had been previously.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14285&p=521536&hilit=drop+in+soh#p521536

There is a significant amount of variation day to day, but I have not noted a consistent change between software versions with data from my 2015:
2/14/2018 0.41.109 SOH=74.05%
3/17/2018 0.41.111 SOH=74.34%
4/10/2018 0.42.116 SOH=75.42%
4/22/2018 0.42.116 SOH=74.08%

There is a high probability that the LBC in Toby's car was reset immediately before the dealer's LEAF Spy screenshot was recorded.

TobyYarwood said:

Toby
The first screenshots looks like what you would see after a BMS reset. The second after the BMS has started to learn the real values.

Did you buy from a Nissan dealer?

ClarD said:
GerryAZ said:

irrc, that only applied to 2018's.

I don't really see anything "that" unusual. The pre 2018 LEAFs exhibited an extreme ability to bounce numbers around quite a bit. This is less than a 5 % swing. Definitely in the high range of possibility but still remains VERY possible.

Also keep in mind a change in driving habits would also account for easily half the difference here. I can post the same from my car if you like but this is hardly an unknown situation.

TobyYarwood said:

The damning screenshots aside, a red flag would immediately go off in my mind if a dealer offered to show me a LeafSpy screenshot. I mean, that's a great thing to do, but if they come right out and offer it to you, that immediately makes me think they are up to something. And if it's only a screenshot and not a live shot, that's even more suspicious.

Having said that, as another poster commented, the car is still doing very well after 40K miles. My car is at 74% SOH after only 15K miles, so I wouldn't worry too much!

GerryAZ said:
2. The AHr, SOH, and Hx readings on the dealer's screen match the default values for a new battery with associated LBC (lithium battery controller) reset.

I've never seen a battery after a reset. Thanks. I've driven/charged a four year old battery with roughly a 10% capacity loss to the pegged values for AHr, SOH and Hx.

GerryAZ said:
3. The dealer's screen shows cell voltages that look like a full charge, but SOC is shown as 19.4%.

This is really strange. Has anyone ever seen this before? Could a reset or new battery cause this?

GerryAZ said:
Possibilities that come to mind:
1. Shallow discharge cycles and gentle driving are causing the LBC to misjudge the actual battery capacity and health.
2. Battery was replaced, LBC is learning the characteristics of the new battery, and initial capacity loss is showing on your screen. If so, AHr, SOH, and Hx readings should stabilize soon in your mild climate.
3. The dealer reset the LBC without replacing the battery and the LBC is relearning the actual battery characteristics over time. If so, AHr, SOH, and Hx readings will continue to drop until they match the actual battery characteristics.

4. Slower and deeper discharge cycles with DQCQs caused the LBC to overestimate the actual battery capacity and health. The LBC is relearning the actual battery characteristics over time. If so, AHr, SOH, and Hx readings will continue to drop until they match the actual battery characteristics.

Turbo3 said:
Release version 0.44.116 is the latest version of LeafSpy Pro.

Play store seems to have 0.44.116

My Phone has .42.116

When I go to play-store to install it say already installed and won't update to the lates.

If I uninstall-reinstall I will loose my history and settings.

Any trick to update without loosing my history?

borugee said:
Turbo3 said:

My Phone has .42.116

When I go to play-store to install it say already installed and won't update to the lates.

You actually have the latest version.

GerryAZ said:
borugee said:
Turbo3 said:

My Phone has .42.116

You actually have the latest version.

@GarryAZ : I am confused. Are you saying 0.42.116 = 0.44.166. Are they same??

Hi, I have a 2018 US Leaf SL and am using LeafSpy Pro v 1.7.38 on iOS 11.3.1.
Almost everything works as expected except:
1. + <infinite>% GIDS
2. Tire pressure never shows up

See pic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/62oksfx10tzvapb/leafspy.png?dl=0

Any help appreciated.

harm said:
Hi, I have a 2018 US Leaf SL and am using LeafSpy Pro v 1.7.38 on iOS 11.3.1.
Almost everything works as expected except:
1. + <infinite>% GIDS
2. Tire pressure never shows up

See pic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/62oksfx10tzvapb/leafspy.png?dl=0

Any help appreciated.
Don't yet know how to read tire pressures on a 2018 so that is normal for now.

Can you send me an ELM trace (see bottom of help for how to do it) and I will look at the % Gids problem.

Hi,
i have a trouble red bars/shunting.
I have purchased Leaf (used) and all ok, after 100% charge shunts ok (all blue)
After my capacity loss cca 4Ah in 8 days i have all shunts red. I tried:
Cca 8x charge to 100% (whitout onboard timer) - mostly red
discharge to turlte then charge to 100% - still red
I am standart charging to 80% with onboard timer. Once per week to 100% with onboard timer
Voltage difference is ok (low) but all red.

op649h.png

2rf3rl2.png

Back