GCC: UK government launches new clean air strategy; ending sales of conventional diesel and gasoline LDVs by 2040

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/05/20180522-uk.html

. . . The new UK strategy, now out for consultation, is a key part of a 25-Year Plan; stated goals for the strategy include:

• By 2025, to halve the number of people living in locations where concentrations of particulate matter are above the WHO guideline limit of 10 ug/m3.

To introduce new primary legislation, which will give local government new powers to improve air quality.

To legislate to ensure only the cleanest domestic fuels will be available for sale, preventing 8,000 tonnes of harmful particulate matter from entering the atmosphere each year.

To take concerted action to tackle ammonia from farming, responsible for 88% of ammonia emissions, by requiring farmers to invest in the infrastructure and equipment that will reduce emissions. Farmers will be supported to achieve this through a new system of public money for public goods.

To work with international partners to research and develop new standards for tires and brakes to address toxic non-exhaust emissions of micro plastics from vehicles which can pollute air and water.

To provide a personal air quality messaging system to inform the public, particularly those who are vulnerable to air pollution, about the air quality forecast, providing clearer information on air pollution episodes and accessible health advice.
Among the other actions detailed in the new plan to reduce emissions from transport are:

• A coming plan to reduce emissions from shipping and aviation.

Ending the sale of new conventional diesel and gasoline cars and vans by 2040.

New legislation enabling the Transport Secretary to compel manufacturers to recall vehicles and machinery for any failures in their emissions control system, and make tampering with an emissions control system a legal offense.

A coming plan to phase out diesel-only trains by 2040.

Air quality strategies for all major English ports. . . .

The UK also released a report showing just 1 in 5 respondents felt they knew a lot about the effects of air pollution. The report also showed a lack of awareness of the wide range of sources of air pollution with most naming transport as the main cause. However, transport emissions are only one part of the problem. From farming to cleaning solvents there are a large range of other day to day practices, processes and products that produce harmful emissions.

Of particular concern, the government noted, is burning wood and coal to heat a home which contributes 38% of UK emissions of damaging particulate matter. Cleaner fuels and stoves produce less smoke, less soot and more heat. In future only the cleanest domestic fuels will be available for sale. . . .

This reads like a big step forward. I suppose the devil is in the details.

2040 to stop selling conventional diesel and gasoline cars is a rather long transition period. This should be much faster. However, to accelerate that, we really need to address the child labor issues in the countries that source the materials used in EV batteries. This issue should be properly addressed right away. (I know, wishful thinking - our governments and industry don't want to take that aspect seriously.)

Good to see they are including micro-pollution from tires. I often stay real close to the I-5 south of LA. When I first got down here, I thought the black powder coating everything was diesel soot. But I heard that it is actually micro fragments from tires. Don't know if that is true. Logically as tires wear down, what used to be on the tire has to be somewhere...

Now that the U.S. has taken a big step backwards, I'm at least heartened to hear other countries continuing to progress.

And yes. The way this is worded, it sounds good. But the details of it may mean it really is just a small step masquerading as a big step.

The fact they will be selling conventional diesel and gas car until 2040 strongly supports your claim that it is a delaying tactic.

However, how does that compare to our U.S. plan? Seems like a pretty bold and big step in comparison. If the whole world would at least do what they are doing we would be on a much better track. I'm inclined to give them credit until I know more of the details.

Back