Bought used 2014 SL - Should I keep it?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvboucher

I'm new to EVs and this forum. I live 6.5 miles from work and was spending about $280/month in diesel. So I decided to buy an EV for my daily commute. I also have a free charging station available to me at work.

I found a used 2014 SL (I wanted the SL trim) with 65k miles and only one bar down for $10,998 at a local CarMax. I picked it up today so I have 5 days to decide if I want to keep it. Below are some images from Leaf Spy. Let me know if you think I should keep or return it. It sure is fun to drive.

Thanks,
Craig

I see no reason to return it if you like it and you don't need to take long trips in it. You did not say where you live, but you should be able to make your round trip commute in comfort in any climate for quite a while without battery worries. The AHr, SOH, and Hx numbers look good for a car with 65k miles.

This is much closer to being a 10 bar leaf than an 11 bar. Keep in mind that the range will only drop over time, so make sure this one has plenty of extra range now. I would pass at that price just because of the range and higher mileage, but I'm not you.

^^^^
Agree with all of the above. I'm surprised it even has 11 bars left. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=511915#p511915 is when I lost my 1st bar. I'm still at 11 bars on my 5/2013 built '13 and my SOH varies between 83.xx and 86.xx still but I'm just shy of 55K miles.

I paid $9,325 + tax and license for my used '13 SV w/premium (so not apples to apples) w/12 bars and under 24K miles in July 2015. Unfortunately, used Leaf prices have seemingly gone up.

What are your requirements? Can you happily live with the range and future battery deterioration?
What are your options?
- Can you use the Leafspy data and re-negotiate a better price?
- Are Leafs relatively abundant in your area and you can afford to look around? Just by having it a few days and knowing about this forum you are ahead of the game a bit in knowledge. You can evaluate better going forward.

IMO that price is a tad high for a car with those miles and battery condition.

I would keep looking, you seem to have lots of choice in your area:

https://goo.gl/btmohZ

If you look at the Carfax history, or use the original sales sticker trick (search this forum), you can figure out where a candidate LEAF spent its life. Look for one from northern areas of California, or ideally an Oregon LEAF as the battery will very likely be in better shape.

Thanks all. Thinking I'm going to return it and be a little more patient and find something with fewer miles and better battery condition. Based on the SOH percentage, 1 more percent and it looses another bar. I will miss it until I find another. Fun to drive.

Back