Pro pilot

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ars3girls

I have noticed after 3000 miles of driving my new 2018 Nissan Leaf Sl that when I engage my ProPilot it does not evenly stay in the middle.
I have logged at least 300 miles on the interstate and when Pilot is engage it closely hugs to the passenger side. I can see this from my side mirrors. Has anyone else experienced this ?

Ars3girls said:
I have noticed after 3000 miles of driving my new 2018 Nissan Leaf Sl that when I engage my ProPilot it does not evenly stay in the middle.
I have logged at least 300 miles on the interstate and when Pilot is engage it closely hugs to the passenger side. I can see this from my side mirrors. Has anyone else experienced this ?

I would ask dealer to look at camera calibration. They shall have a tool to verify and calibrate it.

I cannot imagine the reason to have the propilot, and using it.

It is not autonomous driving, and you need to keep your hands on the wheel.... Then what other important thing would the driver be doing other than keeping the car in the center of the lane??

If you need help keeping your car in the lane the your are a new, bad, or disabled driver, and should not be behind the wheel.

I don't know what demographic this system is sold to.... I think young kids that want a new toy to play with...

powersurge said:
I cannot imagine the reason to have the propilot, and using it.

I am using ProPilot for about 50% of my driving on Leaf and we have another vehicle with similar driver assistance that we have been using for almost 3 years. We love that technology and using it daily, but does not mean we trust it. I know exactly how it works and what are the limits. It just helps to be less stressful and less tired for long trips and especially in a slow traffic. I am not a new driver, I have been driving cars for almost 30 years.

I finally took a drive in which I both used and enjoyed Pro Pilot and the auto-dimming high beams. I was driving down a two lane highway with moderate curves, talking to my GF over Bluetooth, and the car was both operating the headlights automatically and correctly, and keeping me on-course as my attention briefly wandered. I'd never take my eyes completely off the road for more than a second with this system, but it does reduce stress, as noted.

With regards to PP and lane wandering, I've now used it several times in my first week of new Leaf ownership and have seen that it is very dependant on the line markings and the strength of those markings. If they are bit faded it tends to wander a bit back and forth more then if the lines are not faded and easier to see. Also various lighting conditions and road materials (asphalt versus concrete) have a play.

All it all, it works very well. Remember its based on a single camera for the lane keeping and the camera is only as good as your eyes as it sees what you see.

Yes, it does seem to vary with the quality of the painted lines. I do think it needs a warning, though, when it loses the ability to "see" well enough to steer the car.

What I found I didn't like about ProPilot when I road tested a 2018 (*) was that the dashboard display didn't provide any feedback about the detection of the lane markings. IIRC, when it detected it could be engaged the fixed lane markings lit up. When active, the lane marking remained lit up and solid. E.g., like this: https://youtu.be/lqSR-Ozy1sU?t=30

I found this rather disconcerting since I'm so used to AutoPiliot (**), where the dashboard display provides continuous feedback on the quality of the lane detection. I tried to find a video that demonstrates this; I think this shows it reasonably well: https://youtu.be/9URpx_PnM3Y?t=75. You can see where the lane marking on one side or the other (or both) goes from white to grey several times, and the dashboard display shows an indication of how the car thinks it's centered in the lane. Note that AutoPilot wasn't engaged at that point in the video; it's not turned on until about 1:25 when the lane markings go to blue (and then goes off again at 1:31 when the markings go back to white). That this video is of an AP1 car with MobileEye's tech, which I believe is the same tech underlying ProPilot.

(for both videos, I'm totally ignoring the audio; I just wanted an example of how the dash display looks).

(*) 10 total minutes of time with ProPilot turned on, so take anything I write as nothing more than a casual observation from my personal experience

(**) over 15K+ miles with AutoPilot turned on

jlv said:
What I found I didn't like about ProPilot when I road tested a 2018 (*) was that the dashboard display didn't provide any feedback about the detection of the lane markings. IIRC, when it detected it could be engaged the fixed lane markings lit up. When active, the lane marking remained lit up and solid.

That's not how ProPilot works, in my experience. I have a 2018 Leaf with ProPilot and ~700 miles of freeway driving so far with it engaged, and the lane markers only illuminate blue when the system is on and can detect lane markings well enough to track them and autosteer. The display also indicates whether the system believes it can detect a car in the lane ahead that it can follow. It will also sound a distinct chime when it loses detection of the lane markings, and a different chime when they are detected again.

It will also sound a distinct chime when it loses detection of the lane markings, and a different chime when they are detected again.

Now that I think about it, I've probably been hearing those chimes. Unfortunately, they also correspond with when I lose and regain cell reception on the two lane road I often travel, and I had thought it was for that reason. Thanks.

Astros said:
the lane markers only illuminate blue when the system is on and can detect lane markings well enough to track them and autosteer.
I agree, that's how ProPilot works. That's not what I was complaining about, however. The lane markings on the dash board are fixed in position and don't actually indicate what the car is detecting. Similarly, when it detects a car ahead, the display shows a car in a fixed position on the dash.

This is very different from how AutoPilot indicates things on the dash. The lane marking display dynamically show where the car actually thinks the lanes are, and their position and shape displayed on the dash dynamically changes.

LeftieBiker said:
I finally took a drive in which I both used and enjoyed Pro Pilot and the auto-dimming high beams. I was driving down a two lane highway with moderate curves, talking to my GF over Bluetooth, and the car was both operating the headlights automatically and correctly, and keeping me on-course as my attention briefly wandered. I'd never take my eyes completely off the road for more than a second with this system, but it does reduce stress, as noted.

Auto dimming headlight in my car mostly don't turn on high-beam, it dimms not only for incoming vehicles, it also dims for faint steets lights etc. Wish if there is a way to turn off auto-dimm feature while in "Auto" position.

Propilot, cannot be trusted, many instances, it go out of lane. Also it don't brake for stopped cars in lane.

Auto dimming headlight in my car mostly don't turn on high-beam, it dimms not only for incoming vehicles, it also dims for faint streets lights etc. Wish if there is a way to turn off auto-dimm feature while in "Auto" position.

If the auto dim uses a simple light sensor, it may be possible to use a very nearly transparent filter to make it less sensitive. I also seem to remember a menu option that adjusts the light sensitivity of the sensor. Have you tried adjusting that to make the lights come on later?

Back