Clicking noise during acceleration and decceleration

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another data point:

My 2014 Leaf SV, 45k miles, developed this clicking when accelerating and slowing about 2 months ago. Temps are warming up a bit here in OR so driving around with windows down proved too much clicking to be heard! Called Kiefer Nissan in Corvallis. Scheduled an appointment.

Short version (4 1/2 hours later, they also updated two unrelated software things): Axle nut(s) on both front axles were loose. NEW torque spec fixed my clicking. Tech told me the new spec (200 Nm, 147 ft-lbs) is needed for ALL Nissans with these same axles (Leaf, Juke, Sentra). old spec (125 Nm, 92 ft-lbs) allows for too much play and eventually the clicking ensues. 120 buck diagnose fee reduced to $60 labor only. I am pretty happy. They did a great job explaining.

Hope this helps. Ask any questions you may have.

I did the best homework I could thru the interwebs and put together a word doc to show the service person and tech person. TSB ntb12-055 did not apply to my VIN range. peculiar but I guess not unheard of to have similar problem traits as others, yet not be included in a service bulletin. No grease was used.

We shall see how this works long term and will try to re-post in a few months. Thanks to all who support and post to this great forum!

HELP!

I've heard a clicking sound since December, they did the service bulletin (ntb12-055) twice. Dealer kept the car overnight to no avail.

I've taken my 2013 Nissan LEAF three times to El Monte Nissan, they told me to ask for a service tech to come, Tim. They didn't have the scope (chasis ears) to figure out what it is. Tim couldn't determine what it is.

I need to find a Nissan Dealer in Southern California that actually knows how to diagnosis the problem. I had a bad experience with Nissan Alhambra and Ross/El Monte. ANY Suggestions would be great---If anyone know a good place to take a Nissan LEAF SV for repair please let me know.

You are welcome to contact me directly at 626 921-6497.

Excellent info finman100!

I will speak to my dealer about higher torque setting for the driveaxles. We tried the lube route and that proved to not be a lasting solution.

Thanks and I will report back with any results I have.

finman100 said:
Another data point:

My 2014 Leaf SV, 45k miles, developed this clicking when accelerating and slowing about 2 months ago. Temps are warming up a bit here in OR so driving around with windows down proved too much clicking to be heard! Called Kiefer Nissan in Corvallis. Scheduled an appointment.

Short version (4 1/2 hours later, they also updated two unrelated software things): Axle nut(s) on both front axles were loose. NEW torque spec fixed my clicking. Tech told me the new spec (200 Nm, 147 ft-lbs) is needed for ALL Nissans with these same axles (Leaf, Juke, Sentra). old spec (125 Nm, 92 ft-lbs) allows for too much play and eventually the clicking ensues. 120 buck diagnose fee reduced to $60 labor only. I am pretty happy. They did a great job explaining.

Hope this helps. Ask any questions you may have.

I did the best homework I could thru the interwebs and put together a word doc to show the service person and tech person. TSB ntb12-055 did not apply to my VIN range. peculiar but I guess not unheard of to have similar problem traits as others, yet not be included in a service bulletin. No grease was used.

We shall see how this works long term and will try to re-post in a few months. Thanks to all who support and post to this great forum!

Well I'm very glad I eventually found out was wrong with my 2013 Nissan LEAF SV:

It needs:
A new left axle-
A new transmission.

To diagnose the transmission, Dave Okamoto at Puente Hills Nissan put it up on a lift and shot video of the under carriage of my Leaf and another Leaf-- my LEAF's transmission made noise.

The good news- my drivetrain warranty ends June 13, 2018 and it the close to $2000 in repairs is covered by warranty---

Do not give up when you hear a sound in a quiet electric car--it could mean something minor or major like a transmission!

lmobi said:
To diagnose the transmission, Dave Okamoto at Puente Hills Nissan put it up on a lift and shot video of the under carriage of my Leaf and another Leaf-- my LEAF's transmission made noise.

Can you explain this a little more? Did he mean there was something visibly wrong with the transmission?

Or did he get the transmission to make the noise even though the car was on a lift and not moving?

The Leaf mechanic at my dealer might not have heard of this and might need more info.

Thanks,

The tech was able to reproduce the noise, while my LEAF was in reverse on the lift, he shot video of another LEAF same year/model on the lift in reverse which did not make the noise.

BTW my LEAF now has much better pickup and drives like a new Altima. … it is so smooth and feisty. Previously, the car was sort of anemic like it had asthma, no pep. I thought that all Nissan LEAFs were like that. It had a draggy feel. I think there was defect in the transmission from the start. Now it has great pickup and torque.

The bad news is that when I took the car home there was an another noise while I went up the hill on my way home---suspected suspension. There will a $280 diagnostic fee to figure out what it is---growl.

The good news/bad news is that there is no engine noise therefore I can hear every click, clunk and chug.

My 2020 Nissan Leaf SV Plus just started making the clicking/popping noise on movement from stop to start and when the brake is applied. An old Jeep I had made similar sounds when one of the wheel lug nuts was kind of loose so going to try that over the holiday weekend before taking it in. The Leaf has less than 4k miles. Also my right rear hatch lift support strut makes a whistling sound like air is coming out of it whenever it is opened and closed.

Makes me really wonder about the longevity of this car.

Sounds very much likely the problem from earlier LEAFs. See this TSB for details:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171221-0001.pdf

alozzy said:
Sounds very much likely the problem from earlier LEAFs. See this TSB for details:

It is quite strange that this bulletin still only lists the ZE0, while clearly many ZE1 owners have the same issue ...

Ez2517 said:
alozzy said:

It is quite strange that this bulletin still only lists the ZE0, while clearly many ZE1 owners have the same issue ...

I recall reading somewhere that the same issue exists with many Nissan ICE cars too.

Reading through the TSB it doesn't seem like this is more than an annoyance. I occasionally hear a faint tick sound in my Leaf on acceleration or deceleration but it almost sounds like normal gear lash. I was planning to just ignore this. Any experiences out there to contradict that sentiment?

I purchased my 2016 SV about 4 weeks ago. The clicking noise started about a week ago. After reading the service bulletin that addresses this issue, I called my local Nissan dealer and spoke with the service manager. He knew exactly what I was talking about, and that the remedy is what was detailed in the service bulletin.

I had the repair done yesterday, it took about 90 minutes, and set me back $150. The service manager told me that, while it’s annoying (which it WAS), it’s unlikely that that there would be any damage caused by not fixing it.

I am now enjoying only the gentle whirr of the motor, the way the EV gods intended.

dadofTHOR said:
I purchased my 2016 SV about 4 weeks ago. The clicking noise started about a week ago. After reading the service bulletin that addresses this issue, I called my local Nissan dealer and spoke with the service manager. He knew exactly what I was talking about, and that the remedy is what was detailed in the service bulletin.

I had the repair done yesterday, it took about 90 minutes, and set me back $150. The service manager told me that, while it’s annoying (which it WAS), it’s unlikely that that there would be any damage caused by not fixing it.

I am now enjoying only the gentle whirr of the motor, the way the EV gods intended.

I am having the one click issue on releasing and pressing the accelerator pedal with my 2018 SV. Can you tell me which service bulletin is was?

AFAIK, the TSB is for 2011 - 2017 LEAFs only

It's possible that your wheel lug nuts aren't tight enough, an easy thing to check...

My car had both the axle clicking noise and a different click coming from the brake pads shifting in the calipers. The dealer performed the axle nut TSB and we haven't heard that click since. They also "lubricated" the brakes, and it went away for a while, but has returned. Point being, while the axle clicking appears to be very common, there are other potential sources that sound similar.

Updated TSB that includes 2018 and newer LEAF vehicles. And it seems to include quite a few other Nissan vehicles. Wondering at what point does this issue require a more permanent fix given that issue has returned on both my LEAFs?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10199148-0001.pdf

I just completed the repair for the Clicking Noise during acceleration and deceleration. Mine was clicking only on the left side. This was quite easy. I started with the front left. Jacked it up, remove the cotter pin, lock shield, washer, and nut. I noted the torque needed to remove the nut, and it was not much at all. Once removed, it is easy to push the spline back about 20mm which compresses the drive shaft spline. It does not stay so I had someone hold it in while I applied the grease. Mine did not have much corrosion, but if there is, screw the nut back on and use a rubber mallet and see if it will move. I used some moly grease but I imagine anything similar would work fine. Using a split tongue depressor, i carefully applied the grease on the splines on both the inside and outside. Be careful not to drag any dirt into the grease. If you touch the dirty area with the grease, wipe the stick and start over. Remove the pressure and the spline shaft will move back a bit. Next the Belleville washer is placed on with the concave side towards the inside. This also helps push some grease into the splines. Next screw on the nut. I used the same nut and washer and here is why. In my decades as an aircraft mechanic, there were only some instances where a nut was required to be changed, usually on a critical engine part. The nut on the Leaf is quite large and looked perfect. Same with the washer. One could surmise that the spring washer was flattened and should not be used again, but when the nut is tightened up, the washer is flattened and would not know it was ever dished. It looks like Nissan changed the torque specification on this nut to correct the clicking noise from (125 Nm, 92 ft-lbs) to (200 Nm, 147 ft-lbs). This requires a big torque wrench and I think it was a 32mm socket. Then clock the lock shield and re-insert the cotter key. The nut on the right side front was definitely tighter than the left. Did the factory have an out of calibration or mis-set torque setting on the left side? Anyway, there is no more clicking noise coming from the front left wheel. Letting this go does not seem like it would ever cause a problem, it is just annoying. This repair takes only a few hours for both sides. Easy

Back