2018 Leaf Hot Wire for Camera

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filibuster

Anyone know where to find a ignition ON hot wire (12v) inside the car? I would like to install a dash cam. In previous years, I pigtailed off of the 12v port (e.g. cigarette lighter). In the 2018 I cannot figure out how to remove the trim pieces to get to the back of the port. Thanks.

Filibuster said:
Anyone know where to find a ignition ON hot wire (12v) inside the car? I would like to install a dash cam. In previous years, I pigtailed off of the 12v port (e.g. cigarette lighter). In the 2018 I cannot figure out how to remove the trim pieces to get to the back of the port. Thanks.
There is 12V on the mirror. Google "mirror tap". I got a small 12v to usb converter and tapped it there. If I member correctly it has both constant 12V and one that powered with the car.

I will see what I can find. I have a "S" so the mirror is not powered. I suspect the connector is still up in there though.

I just pulled down the overhead console. I don't see a connection for the powered mirror (which I do not have on the "S") up there.

Filibuster said:
I just pulled down the overhead console. I don't see a connection for the powered mirror (which I do not have on the "S") up there.

Sorry, in this case you need to find a service manual with wiring. My last two cars both powered from the mirror, you can try to route power from 12V socket on the dash as a simplest option. Overhead lights usually have only constant 12V power, not good for the dash cam.

For any interested, this is how/where I tapped power for my dash cam...camera comes on with door open and goes off with push button stop. After several minutes, the power turns off altogether till door is either unlocked or opened. Works for me. This is not powered 24/7 as some might need.

Ed

oHLiUY8.jpg

Decided I wanted a 12v hot wire inside the car for not only the dash cam but anything else that might come along. I ran a heavy 12ga wire from the battery thru the firewall and terminated it in an under dash cigarette lighter socket. It's easy to find a suitable ground down there...lots of firewall studs poking out. :)

Ed

4EEQRxk.jpg

TEYdsc6.jpg

9V1Fepd.jpg

edorfox said:
For any interested, this is how/where I tapped power for my dash cam...camera comes on with door open and goes off with push button stop. After several minutes, the power turns off altogether till door is either unlocked or opened. Works for me. This is not powered 24/7 as some might need.

Ed

oHLiUY8.jpg

What's the trick to removing the overhead console from the headliner?
Is it the same as the Gen 1 Leaf, pull down on the front till it pops and then pull forward?

Art

If you only need to power a dashcam, the canopy light would have a hot wire. But the heavy gauge wire from the battery is the best for any 12v need, including electric blanket or hot water pot....

Well I finally got my Mobius Maxi installed and wired into the overhead console.
Nice neat install with no wires hanging about and camera is not very noticeable from inside or outside the car.
Tapped into overhead console as per previous post. Works great!

GmEr3vC

https://imgur.com/GmEr3vC

bsaeZau

https://imgur.com/bsaeZau

Sorry for the links but apparently I don't have enough posts to add images in-line ?!?

Well it seems that the power source shown in the console is not hot all the time when the car is on.
I only get recordings when it is dark out & the dash lights come on.

Back