Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:
Tesla, on the other hand ? No problem driving anywhere.

So your counter to my "EV with QC a must" is an EV with QC?
If it is a Tesla. Other EVs, like my LEAF, do not benefit from a QC port in my large regional area of the United States

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:
Tesla, on the other hand ? No problem driving anywhere.

So your counter to my "EV with QC a must" is an EV with QC?
If it is a Tesla. Other EVs, like my LEAF, do not benefit from a QC port in my large regional area of the United States

Exactly. Or at least has Tesla-like range. My 2012 Leaf didn't have a QC port. Even if it had the range of a 2018 (150 miles), a QC port would be useless to me. But with a range well over 200 miles, my Bolt suddenly has some QC available. And even that's only because I'm about 200 miles outside of a heavily travelled / well QC'd corridor (the Northeast Corridor). In many parts of the country, even 238 miles isn't enough to make meaningful use of a QC port.

Dave's reply made me think he is unaware that Tesla has its own network, one that is VASTLY more useful and available to their car owners than ChadeMo is, particularly outside of the coasts.

This is ChadeMo for Middle America. The few stations available are concentrated in cities that are too far apart to allow long distance driving, even if one ignores their lousy placement and long charge times. As a practical matter, ChadeMo (and CCS) are no where near a solution for flyover country, even for dedicated EV early adopters.

uc

And here is CCS. As an internal ruler, the blue to Albuquerque is 250 miles

uc

Interesting. Honestly, these maps are more than I dreamed we'd have even just a few years ago. And yet it's nowhere near what we need. It will take a long time to really fill in, especially in "flyover country". We really do need cars with longer range than 150 miles in order to bridge the gaps, and that will be so for another half a decade at least.

GetOffYourGas said:
Interesting. Honestly, these maps are more than I dreamed we'd have even just a few years ago. And yet it's nowhere near what we need. It will take a long time to really fill in, especially in "flyover country". We really do need cars with longer range than 150 miles in order to bridge the gaps, and that will be so for another half a decade at least.

Other than the ones that already exist ;)

Zythryn said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Exactly. My point was more that even the 2018 Leaf still doesn't have enough range for a solid US offering. It's still a commuter / errands type of car. The difference between 150 miles (Leaf) and 240 miles (Bolt) is huge in many parts of the country. It often can mean the difference between a usable QC network or not. And that will remain the case for years to come.

GetOffYourGas said:
Zythryn said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Exactly. My point was more that even the 2018 Leaf still doesn't have enough range for a solid US offering. It's still a commuter / errands type of car. The difference between 150 miles (Leaf) and 240 miles (Bolt) is huge in many parts of the country. It often can mean the difference between a usable QC network or not. And that will remain the case for years to come.

Agreed. That's true even for here in California. Saturday we did a 186 mile loop in our Bolt and returned with 20 kWh remaining. We wouldn't have been able to do it with the 18 Leaf without range anxiety. It turns out that there's a Level 2 30 miles west of Bakersfield. We stopped to just to make sure it was working. It was. With the Leaf you would have had to stop for at last an hour or more. As it was we just drove home. There was nothing--and I mean nothing on the other 150 miles--not even a 14-50.

Paul

Some may recall the long discussion (on this thread, I believe) of how long it would take an Ioniq (with higher efficiency and slightly higher kW initial charge rate) to overtake a Bolt (equipped with ~twice the battery capacity) while on a long trip with multiple DC recharges.

Part one, below, does not give the final answer, but I expect part two will be posted shortly, on Bjorn's channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH3RqJRhNEE

GetOffYourGas said:

Well we now have 5 new stations open (maybe 4?) with new ones coming online nearly every week for the next two years and that is just the beginning. So a "must be 250" mile EV is a limited time need. Yeah the buildout on the fringes has been pathetically slow and without VW's missteps we probably would still be wondering what to do.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Well we now have 5 new stations open (maybe 4?) with new ones coming online nearly every week for the next two years and that is just the beginning. So a "must be 250" mile EV is a limited time need. Yeah the buildout on the fringes has been pathetically slow and without VW's missteps we probably would still be wondering what to do.

Dave, you conveniently miss the part where Washington State has about the best infrastructure in the country. Your experience doesn't map to others', particularly those living in the middle of the country.

I regularly drive 300+ miles in a trip. I don't mind a single stop, but with a "150 mile" car, I would realistically have to stop twice (unless I drove the battery down to 0, and then waited for it to charge to 100%). In a New York winter, that 150 mile car becomes a <100 mile car, and now I need to stop 3 or 4 times to charge. So for me, 240 miles will always be far superior to 150 miles. Point being, don't try to fit everyone else into your mold.

GetOffYourGas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Dave, you conveniently miss the part where Washington State has about the best infrastructure in the country. Your experience doesn't map to others', particularly those living in the middle of the country.

I regularly drive 300+ miles in a trip. I don't mind a single stop, but with a "150 mile" car, I would realistically have to stop twice (unless I drove the battery down to 0, and then waited for it to charge to 100%). In a New York winter, that 150 mile car becomes a <100 mile car, and now I need to stop 3 or 4 times to charge. So for me, 240 miles will always be far superior to 150 miles. Point being, don't try to fit everyone else into your mold.
A longer range car will always be more convenient than a shorter range one for road trips, but you may well be covered on at least some routes in your area in the not too distant future: https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locations

plus the first X-C route.

GRA said:
A longer range car will always be more convenient than a shorter range one for road trips, but you may well be covered on at least some routes in your area in the not too distant future

Yes, of course! How naive it is to imply that a QC is useless for a low range BEV. Without having the QC capability here in SoCal and my need to
visit customers having a round trip of about 120 miles, my Leaf would be useless for business. Typically for round trips greater than 70 miles,
a needed QC lasts for only 10-15 minutes. Each low range BEV, e.g. 24/30kWh Leaf, owner has different needs as one might expect!

edatoakrun said:
Some may recall the long discussion (on this thread, I believe) of how long it would take an Ioniq (with higher efficiency and slightly higher kW initial charge rate) to overtake a Bolt (equipped with ~twice the battery capacity) while on a long trip with multiple DC recharges.

Part one, below, does not give the final answer, but I expect part two will be posted shortly, on Bjorn's channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH3RqJRhNEE

Nice video. The 2nd part is available now. Very interesting how the two different approaches played out in this match up. (Nope, not gonna spoiler it for you - watch the video.)

GetOffYourGas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
GetOffYourGas said:

What?? WA State fell behind a LONG time ago. My "5 new stations" reference (most in the NE btw) is the Electrify America Network.

We did add ONE QC which is the first by the State in about what?? 5? 6 years? After that, EVGO came in and installed stations at the handful of malls they own in region but those were scattered too far apart but welcomed. We also got a few Walmart and Fred Meyer installs but our network is HIGHLY insufficient and weak not to mention that most of the AV stations don't work with the 2018 LEAF.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GetOffYourGas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

What?? WA State fell behind a LONG time ago. My "5 new stations" reference (most in the NE btw) is the Electrify America Network.

We did add ONE QC which is the first by the State in about what?? 5? 6 years? After that, EVGO came in and installed stations at the handful of malls they own in region but those were scattered too far apart but welcomed. We also got a few Walmart and Fred Meyer installs but our network is HIGHLY insufficient and weak not to mention that most of the AV stations don't work with the 2018 LEAF.

Lest this conversation get too far off track, let's remember we were talking about "fly-over country". Are you denying that WA State is better covered than the central plains states? WA had an early lead in the game, even over CA. While infrastructure growth may have stagnated, it's a huge stretch to say you have fallen behind. You still live in one of the best states in the nation for DCQC coverage.

You live in the PNW, I live in the Northeast. We are both relatively blessed when it comes to non-Tesla quick charging. But even here in NYS, a 150-mile Leaf would not give me sufficient range. The closest DCQC along my typical path is 140 miles away. Wintertime saps much more than 10 miles of range. You do the math.

"fly-over" country starts way sooner than Kansas. Just look at CCS and ChadeMo in Colorado, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico or Nevada. Outside of a few select cities it is non-existent.

SageBrush said:
"fly-over" country starts way sooner than Kansas. Just look at CCS and ChadeMo in Colorado, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico or Nevada. Outside of a few select cities it is non-existent.

I'm amused by your west-to-east perspective. From this side of the country, Kansas comes before Colorado, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, and Nevada.

I tend to think of the plains states as "fly over" country, and not the mountain states. At least the mountain states have scenery worth looking at! ;)

But to your point, really anytime you get away from the coasts, the CCS and CHAdeMO networks get really thin. I live in New York, but once you get inland, away from the I-95 corridor and the Hudson Valley, there is basically nothing.

Back