TexasLeaf
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:37 am
Delivery Date: 21 Mar 2018
Leaf Number: 303111

Let your battery cook!!!

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:06 am

I performed a simulation assuming that a 2018 Leaf would DCFC for 960 miles. My simulation indicated that the trip would take 28.2 hours traveling at 45 mph with an average peak charging speed of 25 kW and that the trip would take 30.7 hours traveling at 70 mph with an average peak charging speed of 14 kW. The simulation assumed higher charging speed for the first couple of DCFCs when the battery is cool.

Is saving 2-1/2 worth traveling 25 mph slower than everyone else and risking getting rear-ended? I think not unless you just absolutely have to get there sooner. With such a small advantage in travel time over a long distance I don't think reduced speed is worth it.

I'm not worried about cooking the battery. With all the controls Nissan put into the 2018 Leaf thermal management system I don't think there is much risk of premature battery failure. And even if the battery fails, because I drove a long distance at the speed limit, Nissan would have to honor their warranty.

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 1930
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Let your battery cook!!!

Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:04 am

TexasLeaf wrote:With all the controls Nissan put into the 2018 Leaf thermal management system I don't think there is much risk of premature battery failure.


I know that they dramatically cut the DCQC rates when the battery gets hot. Other than that, what controls has Nissan added in the 2018 that wasn't in the 2011 Leaf? No, this is not a leading question, I honestly want to know because I didn't think they did anything.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

TexasLeaf
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:37 am
Delivery Date: 21 Mar 2018
Leaf Number: 303111

Re: Let your battery cook!!!

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:31 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:
TexasLeaf wrote:With all the controls Nissan put into the 2018 Leaf thermal management system I don't think there is much risk of premature battery failure.


I know that they dramatically cut the DCQC rates when the battery gets hot. Other than that, what controls has Nissan added in the 2018 that wasn't in the 2011 Leaf? No, this is not a leading question, I honestly want to know because I didn't think they did anything.


Traction motor power and regenerative braking are reduced and the "Power limitation indicator light" comes on.

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9594
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Let your battery cook!!!

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:17 pm

Traction motor power and regenerative braking are reduced and the "Power limitation indicator light" comes on.


Heh. That does limit further increases in heat, but the only way to get rid of what's already there quickly in warm weather is to find a wind tunnel with cold air. Nissan's "TMS" is bargain-basement.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10611
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Let your battery cook!!!

Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:17 pm

More like totally MIA...

LeftieBiker wrote:Nissan's "TMS" is bargain-basement.
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2016 Volt Premier.

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9594
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Let your battery cook!!!

Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:25 am

TomT wrote:More like totally MIA...

LeftieBiker wrote:Nissan's "TMS" is bargain-basement.


Hey, I DID use quotation marks.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Batteries & Charging”