GCC: Porsche launches digital charging service for electric vehicles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

http://www.greencarcongress.com/201...l-charging-service-for-electric-vehicles.html

Porsche is now offering an innovative charging service for plug-in and electric vehicles. The “Porsche Charging Service” encompasses all aspects of the charging process. The service searches for suitable charging stations and uses centrally stored data to handle the payment process across multiple countries and currencies. . . The corresponding app, available free of charge, and the Porsche navigation system direct the customer to the selected charging pedestal.

Information about the location and availability of charging stations, as well as the cost of charging a vehicle, are available in real time via the app. At the charging pedestal, the user identifies themselves either using a QR code via the app or with their “Porsche ID card”, which the user receives free of charge after registering for the service.

The charging service is currently available in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium and Finland. The service will gradually expand to include other countries from the end of 2018.

In Germany, using the Porsche Charging Service costs €2.50 per month. Added to this are the fees for the charging processes, which depend on the operator and the amount of electricity used to charge the vehicle.

The app is available on all mobile devices with iOS or Android operating systems and can be downloaded now. The service is in principle open to all drivers of hybrid or electric vehicles; its use is not limited to Porsche vehicles.

This sounds as fluffy as the press release for the original Carwings. Personally I prefer analog charging, it's greener and more efficient. I hope the card is designed by Porsche Design to justify the monthly fee and likely high rates.

EVDRIVER said:
This sounds as fluffy as the press release for the original Carwings. Personally I prefer analog charging, it's greener and more efficient. I hope the card is designed by Porsche Design to justify the monthly fee and likely high rates.
Seems to be akin to Chargepoint, i.e. Porsche is serving as a billing/info network rather than operating the charging stations itself. As with Chargepoint, the individual site owners will set fees.

GRA said:
EVDRIVER said:
Seems to be akin to Chargepoint, i.e. Porsche is serving as a billing/info network rather than operating the charging stations itself. As with Chargepoint, the individual site owners will set fees.

I believe CP makes and supplies the equipment as well. Regardless it sounds very Porsche and very costly based on the way it's written. Time will tell.

EVDRIVER said:
GRA said:
EVDRIVER said:
I believe CP makes and supplies the equipment as well. Regardless it sounds very Porsche and very costly based on the way it's written. Time will tell.
Yes, CP does supply the equipment, but that's not a requirement any more than NCTC requires a single supplier. 2.50 euros/month for the service is hardly 'very costly' if you can afford a Porsche, and even for those who can't it's hardly a major expense (30 euros/year). The electricity fees at individual sites will determine how good a deal they are.

Back