Forget rising sea levels, we're drowning in plastic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GetOffYourGas said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Buck up buttercup, only 6 1/2 years to go.

:lol:

I'm pretty sure that Trump will be the first president in a while that doesn't get re-elected. Then again, I've been wrong plenty of times before.

Fortunately for me, I actually agree with a good number of his policies (the actual policies, not the non-sense which is proclaimed by the liberal press). I could do without his hubris, though. I wish he would talk / tweet less and just generally act a lot more presidential.

His policies will result in making americans poor, because he doesn't understand the ramifications of his actions. Case in point - tariffs on steel and aluminium results in higher prices in just about everything.

^ or it raises scrap prices and more is recycled... or people consume less and be more efficient, reducing carbon emissions. After all, you can't make steel without coal, so using less is a good thing.

LTLFTcomposite said:
^ or it raises scrap prices and more is recycled... or people consume less and be more efficient, reducing carbon emissions. After all, you can't make steel without coal, so using less is a good thing.

We recycle quite a bit already (~50% - thanks to rust, you can't really recycle much more than that), and rising scrap prices is directly related to the price of virgin steel, which just reinforces the fact that Trump's policies are directly impacting the american economy. Lower consumer consumption is actually bad for the economy, as that decreases business revenue, which begets layoffs and increased unemployment, which just feeds on itself until we're in another recession. The lower economy also means lower tax revenue, which opens up a whole other can of worms.

As for using coal to produce steel, that's been solved for aluminium already (see Alcoa's recent press release). It's just a matter of time before this is solved for steel as well: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/cleaner-cheaper-way-to-make-steel-uses-electricity/

GetOffYourGas said:
Gotta love how "we're drowning in plastic" has turned into a discussion of steel.
Don't dispair, the conversation should pivot back to blaming Trump for everything shortly.

One interesting thing I saw in the NG article was a graph that showed a sharp pullback in plastic production in 2008 with the economic woes. The takeaway there is that all the predatory lending, repackaging subprime mortgages into improperly rated securities and what have you was actually good for the environment. A big thank you to AIG from the world's marine life!

Tell all this to the millions of housewives that drive their SUVs to Costco to buy pallets of bottled water....

I will only drink from reusable stainless steel water bottles... for the past 10+ years

VIVA EL TRUMPO! :p

LTLFTcomposite said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Gotta love how "we're drowning in plastic" has turned into a discussion of steel.
Don't dispair, the conversation should pivot back to blaming Trump for everything shortly.

One interesting thing I saw in the NG article was a graph that showed a sharp pullback in plastic production in 2008 with the economic woes. The takeaway there is that all the predatory lending, repackaging subprime mortgages into improperly rated securities and what have you was actually good for the environment. A big thank you to AIG from the world's marine life!

I'm actually surprised that the discussion has been so focused on Trump, and no one has yet mentioned Pruitt (oh shoot, I just broke the seal) given that this is about AGW, plastic, and posted in the "Environmental Issues" section.

Back