Leaf Audio/Music Features

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
I believe the answer would be "no video", at least while the car is ON (ready to drive, in motion or not) since that is against CA state law.

Any "video" screens need to be located where the driver cannot watch them.
I like the video idea I think it was ford that has it that would be nice while waiting in the car for someone. Also use internet like Youtube.

garygid said:
So, legally, it could be done in AUX mode, if it was programmed to handle video and had the correct CODEXs available.
I don't see how AUX can be used for this - it would have to be done thr' USB. AUX is basically an analog audio input.

This is what I have tried with my iPhone 4.

It automatically connects the audio through Blutooth and will stream any audio playing through the iPod application. You control song selection from the phone itself.

When you connect your iPhone through the USB port menu functions become available on the screen of the LEAF. You have an audio only iPod interface that allows you to select by artist, song, album, etc. It plays the audio portion of music videos and lists them as songs.

The USB port also charges your iPhone or iPod. A screen comes up on the iPhone that states you are connected through the accessory port. You can select either Blutooth or the port by touching a symbol at the bottom of the white phone screen. You can touch the home button to access other apps. If you select the iPod app it brings you back to the same white screen showing that you are connected to the accessory port of your iPhone even if you switch back to Blutooth.

I can't find a way to stream videos through the USB interface. The AUX port only sends analog audio. There is no way to send video through the AUX port.

That's what I have tried so far.

I wasn't able to stream video in accessory mode either and as far as I know the TV out is on by default. In settings on my iPhone it only gives me the option to turn on or off widescreen mode otherwise the output is on. I found out that Pandora and other audio streams other than the iPod app stream through the Blutooth link. When you plug in USB the top of the plug faces the passenger seat. Here are the screens shown during Blutooth audio streaming and while plugged into the USB interface.

Leaf iPod Play Mode Display by Card59, on Flickr

Leaf iPod song info display by Card59, on Flickr

Leaf iPod Menu display by Card59, on Flickr

Leaf iPod album play by Card59, on Flickr

Leaf Blutooth audio screen by Card59, on Flickr

The Lexar 32GB EchoZE USB flash drive arrived today! Copying my MP3 files onto it, a little more than an hour to copy ~2000 tracks. So I'll be ready to test with the LEAF should I get a chance to rent one from Hertz in NYC, or I'll try it at the DC "Drive Electric" event if I go there.

tps,
Not sure if you've followed the discussion, but the play order of those mp3 files on your stick in each folder is determined by the short (8.3) DOS-type file names of the files.

I renamed my files on the stick to 01.mp3, 02.mp3, etc using the ZTree tool and that gets them to play in track order (assuming they were in that order when you changed their names).

Let me know if you need more info,

Randy

I'm slowly reorganizing music on the HDD. More than half my music has incomplete tags - and nearly all of them need to be renamed. I also have hundreds of CDs that I've not yet digitized (apart from other analog music). I'll probably be done by the time I'm ready to get my next EV :(

Randy said:
tps,
Not sure if you've followed the discussion, but the play order of those mp3 files on your stick in each folder is determined by the short (8.3) DOS-type file names of the files.
I'll almost certainly be using "shuffle all" mode. To avoid hitting the 255 file-per-directory limit, I broke the tracks up into subdirectories by the first letter of the filename. Right now, I'm listening to these files from the internal flash of a Sony player. It doesn't seem to care if all 2000 tracks are in one directory or split up; I've been using the aforementioned split scheme for a while on the Sony with no problems.

evnow said:
I'm slowly reorganizing music on the HDD. More than half my music has incomplete tags - and nearly all of them need to be renamed. I also have hundreds of CDs that I've not yet digitized (apart from other analog music). I'll probably be done by the time I'm ready to get my next EV :(
Yeah, I've got over 2500 CDs in various states of transfer to my HDs, mostly stored as FLAC. My (ever expanding) collection of over 2000 MP3 tracks represents the "cream of the crop" mixed with some interesting, more obscure tracks which I've chosen to work well in shuffle mode. I've been trying to get at least the basic tags and album art into the MP3 files. My MP3 workflow has evolved to WinLAME -> MP3tag -> MP3gain. I may do some cleanup with Cool Edit before encoding when necessary, such as fade-in and fade-out, combining tracks meant to be played together (no gapless necessary for me!), and fixing monarual tracks.

Ah, that reminds me. I'm not sure that anyone else has mentioned this yet.

It appears the LEAF does not support gapless playback with mp3 files. This means that if you are playing files that flow into each other (live recordings especially, but some studio recordings have no or small gaps), the LEAF will add a gap to the playback when transitioning between these tracks. It's most distracting on live recordings...Oh well, small thing but that's the way it is...

I bought a flash drive at walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/PNY-P-FD8GB-MINI-EF-8GB-Mini-Attach/13073361

PNY Attache 8gb. Little bummed the website said $15 and she wouldn't match the price. If you order online and pick up in store, it's only $15.

Well I decided to trim it down and check it out! It's tiny! Once you take the case off it's about double the length of the metal part of a USB connector. You don't even notice it plugged in. Nothing to attract thieves.

flashdrive.jpg

I plugged it in and it plays the music off it, so it seems to be fine.

I found a new feature today. When I put the car in reverse you can't change from am to fm to xm or any of the above. I got in the car and put it in reverse and started backing, and then it connected to my iPhone and started playing a song I was not interested in, so I hit the FM button to just put on the radio...no can do.

turbo2ltr said:
I bought a flash drive at walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/PNY-P-FD8GB-MINI-EF-8GB-Mini-Attach/13073361

PNY Attache 8gb. Little bummed the website said $15 and she wouldn't match the price. If you order online and pick up in store, it's only $15.

Well I decided to trim it down and check it out! It's tiny! Once you take the case off it's about double the length of the metal part of a USB connector. You don't even notice it plugged in. Nothing to attract thieves.

I plugged it in and it plays the music off it, so it seems to be fine.

Thanks turbo. That is a nice nifty mod.

USB Port will not work here.. Once i was able to get it to read audio off a smart phone.. but every attempt after that just gave the message to check your USB device.. SO next I have tried a USB Thumb drive.. Still no luck.. I have tried MP3 and Wav files but the Head Unit does not recognize any of them.. Whats the Trick ? Anyone else having intermittent issues with the USB port?
Its of no value if it will not read a Thumb drive.. Has Nissan re-flashed the Firmware in the Head Unit to make the USB port work? Whats the secrete.

MP3s on USB working fine for me...

What filesystem format on the USB? Mine was PC formatted (FAT32 or NTFS, can't recall which).
Also, what bitrate are your MP3s? It may have some limitations.
Mine were 192kbps which play fine.

Fat 32, MP3s and WM files. None found.. The system seesm to be searching the drive but never finds anything..

TEG said:
MP3s on USB working fine for me...

What filesystem format on the USB? Mine was PC formatted (FAT32 or NTFS, can't recall which).
Also, what bitrate are your MP3s? It may have some limitations.
Mine were 192kbps which play fine.

How many files do you have on there? Maybe start with just a couple to test it first.
You have it plugged into the USB jack on the left side of the center tray (under the radio/stereo stack)?
You are selecting USB as the input device on the audio selector?

If it isn't working, maybe try NTFS instead of FAT32?

If it were only that easy. :)..
TEG said:
How many files do you have on there? Maybe start with just a couple to test it first.
You have it plugged into the USB jack on the left side of the center tray (under the radio/stereo stack)?
You are selecting USB as the input device on the audio selector?

If it isn't working, maybe try NTFS instead of FAT32?

Back