Contantly cooling while charging and driving

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrockWI said:
At what approx temps should the cooling fan come on while charging on level 2? It was in the mid 90F here and I was driving a lot and charging a lot. I can hear and feel the coolant pump running and the radiator is warm, the top of the stack is too hot to touch, the laser thermometer has it at 130F with the coolant lines going to the radiator about about the same. Shouldn't that fan be running?

The pack temp was 110F via Leafspy.

Granted this is unusually warm for us, I know in winter I am lucky if it is 10F above ambient in the garage at 30F and the stack at 40F while charging.

Pump is activated when coolant is slightly above freezing.
Fan is activated when coolant is above 57*C (or 60*C).

Cheap (not special) over the counter electronics are fine up to 80*C. That means coolant can be 65-70*C, depending on thermal compound etc.

BrockWI said:
At what approx temps should the cooling fan come on while charging on level 2? It was in the mid 90F here and I was driving a lot and charging a lot. I can hear and feel the coolant pump running and the radiator is warm, the top of the stack is too hot to touch, the laser thermometer has it at 130F with the coolant lines going to the radiator about about the same. Shouldn't that fan be running?

The pack temp was 110F via Leafspy.

Granted this is unusually warm for us, I know in winter I am lucky if it is 10F above ambient in the garage at 30F and the stack at 40F while charging.

Your experience sounds normal. I have not looked at the service manual, but I measured 130 F with my Fluke infrared thermometer and confirmed (as best as possible) with a thermocouple thermometer without having the fan(s) turn on. The fan(s) will turn on if the coolant temperature gets high enough because I have heard them while charging, but I don't know the exact set point. Also, in my climate the discharge temperature of the cooling air from the fans can be 125 F or higher with the air conditioner on so I see no benefit to trying to run the fans for air flow over the battery.

Back