Silverfish
Delivery Date: 21 Jun 2018

Is Nissan Connect (Carwings) worth it?

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:20 am

I've had my 2013 Leaf SV for about 2 months now. When I got the chance, I stopped sending data to Nissan. I still get the nag screen.

Is Nissan Connect worth it? It seems weird to me to pay money to Nissan just to send them data that benefits them more than me. I don't need to start the heater or AC before I get in the car.

So what do people like about Nissan Connect?

Leaf15
Delivery Date: 09 Jun 2018

Re: Is Nissan Connect (Carwings) worth it?

Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:17 pm

I did not even know it existed when purchased my Leaf. I was lucky the upgrade was free for 2015 owners. BTW, you do not pay for the service, Nissan does and it is free for now and looks like for Leaf owners going forward. The $199 is for upgrading older 2G unit to 3G. There is some value collected by Nissan for us consumer as we can look into historical efficiency data. It is more useful on latest Leafs where end user functionality was dramatically expanded by 10 times at least. I think Leaf 2018+ offers more features than Tesla app. Older models are not a lot of features, may be charging station updates and traffic info, ability to plan route and upload it to the car Nav, but I think it is not practical as the car range is small for long trips to benefit from planning ahead.
Leaf 2015 SV CPO

Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:57 pm

To me, CarWings/NissanConnect is definitely worth it.
As mentioned above, it is important to realize the $199 is for upgrading the TCU modem from 2G to 3G.
Nissan will (apparently) continue to offer the service at no cost indefinitely...which was something we never dreamed of 7 years ago.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

Depends on your situation. When public charging it's very helpful to know when charge is complete and/or keep track of charge level so you don't end up hogging a spot. That was important to me when I'd charge at work. Being able to remotely activate the AC can be wonderful especially if you're outdoors in oppressive heat.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Silverfish

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:45 pm

Interesting. I didn't realize the service was free ongoing. Since I bought the car a couple of months ago, should I update Nissan that I'm the new owner? Or is that information irrelevant because they just focus on the car's metrics?

Thanks, all.

Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:55 am

Silverfish wrote:Interesting. I didn't realize the service was free ongoing. Since I bought the car a couple of months ago, should I update Nissan that I'm the new owner? Or is that information irrelevant because they just focus on the car's metrics?

You should always maintain accurate ownership information with any service tied to your vehicle...and telematics devices are no different.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:53 pm

Any service that only works half the time isn't useful, IMHO. I gave up on Nissan Connect, after contemplating a TCU upgrade, because it caused me more frustration when it wasn't working than satisfaction when it was.

I know some people have had better experiences with it, but for many people who paid to have their TCU upgraded it's been a huge PITA.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

Silverfish

Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:18 pm

alozzy wrote:Any service that only works half the time isn't useful, IMHO. I gave up on Nissan Connect, after contemplating a TCU upgrade, because it caused me more frustration when it wasn't working than satisfaction when it was.

I know some people have had better experiences with it, but for many people who paid to have their TCU upgraded it's been a huge PITA.

How can I tell if my car's TCU has been upgraded? I've only had it for a couple of months. I do believe it's still sending info to Nissan, from the nag screen that appears when I turn the car on.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:26 pm

Silverfish wrote:
alozzy wrote:Any service that only works half the time isn't useful, IMHO. I gave up on Nissan Connect, after contemplating a TCU upgrade, because it caused me more frustration when it wasn't working than satisfaction when it was.

How can I tell if my car's TCU has been upgraded? I've only had it for a couple of months. I do believe it's still sending info to Nissan, from the nag screen that appears when I turn the car on.

You can try updating charging stations in the Navigation/CarWings system. Touch the blue (Zero Emission) button to open the energy menu and the touch the Update Stations icon. The telematics unit is working if it updates stations.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:15 am

Silverfish wrote:the nag screen that appears when I turn the car on.

Nag screen appears even when you don't have the upgrade. The car might be trying to send data to Nissan over the old phone network that no longer exists, and wants to you approve that... :roll: :lol:
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”