Nissan issues software update to solve 30 kwh battery issues

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
There was no cut off. The reality is Nissan was getting degraded packs and upon testing, they were well over the 8 bars required for replacement so the people who did get new packs, got them thru a Nissan SW error. not from true degradation.
Did this all come to you in a dream, or are you hearing disembodied voices ?

:lol: :lol:

Ok..mine received the update today. Before getting the update, it was like this:

Screenshot_20180703-133101.png

After receiving the update, this was the result:

Screenshot_20180703-144723.png

The curious thing is that the % indication on the display was the same. I then proceed to the nearest working PCR (it was on the highway, about 20 km of distance. I arrived there with 50% of the battery and the temperature was about 32ºC (i made all the possibles to heat them up the most). This is how the charge went:

Screenshot_20180703-151730.png

Maximum speed up to the 76% on LeafSpy (80% on the car display) and then it started reduced. This was allready the normal behavior before the update, so the only changes are the SOH :D :D

DaveinOlyWA said:
jbuntz said:
lkkms2 said:
“I was at 8 bars, 50.4 AHr, 63.41% SOH, prior to the update.”

Jbuntz, sorry if I missed your explanation somewhere earlier, but if you were at 8 bars didn’t you qualify for a new battery? Were you required to do this SOftware downgrade (I mean Upgrade :eek: )

I missed the cut off by a couple of weeks :(

There was no cut off. The reality is Nissan was getting degraded packs and upon testing, they were well over the 8 bars required for replacement so the people who did get new packs, got them thru a Nissan SW error. not from true degradation.

My battery has still prematurely degraded even after this update. 87% SOH on a two year old car with 28k miles is unacceptable. Lease is up in February so not really a problem for me. Had I purchased it would be a different story. By comparison a 2 year old Tesla with 28k miles would probably have only around 2% - 3% degradation. It baffles me that there are members on this forum that still defend Nissan's crappy batteries!

rcm4453 said:
It baffles me that there are members on this forum that still defend Nissan's crappy batteries!
It is because a large group of people with your opinion have washed their hands of Nissan and no longer post here. You are reading a dying forum with a distilled viewpoint fueled by motivations other than technical merit.

rcm4453 said:
It baffles me that there are members on this forum that still defend Nissan's crappy batteries!

Your experience isn't the same as mine.

Your expectations also seem to be rather different.

This forum seems to be a mix of disgruntled Leaf drivers, Tesla Trolls and a few oddballs. Hardly anything to write about, when your Leaf is doing just fine. Boring just commuting with no issues, day after day.

Fortunately there are a few states in the US where the need for a BMS is neutralized by a cooler year-long climate. These include OR, WA and AK.

Even a few months of excessive 90+F heat is enough for significant premature degradation.

SageBrush said:
rcm4453 said:
It is because a large group of people with your opinion have washed their hands of Nissan and no longer post here. You are reading a dying forum with a distilled viewpoint fueled by motivations other than technical merit.
I rarely read or post here after giving my Leaf to my nephew and buying a used Tesla Model S85 almost one year ago. Don't think about these issues any more as my Tesla has no identifiable further battery capacity loss. Also, the rated range is very useful. I find that if I have a rated range of 200 miles (an 80% charge) and drive 100 miles at 65 MPH the rated range is now very close to 100 miles. Passenger air bag was replaced under warranty (one of the millions under recall) by a Tesla technician who came to my house. The only other expense I have had is getting the tires rotated once. The Leaf was a great starter BEV, but can't hold a candle to the Tesla.

LeftieBiker said:
I'm keeping my 2018 in an A/C-cooled garage with an average temp of about 72F. I think I'm still looking at 3-4% degradation per year.
Ah, isn't it a little difficult to estimate your annual degradation rate, based on your very limited experience so far?

And here is the energy consumed from the mains for a charge from the VLBW before and after the update, respectively:

energy_before.png

energy_after.png

bmw said:
Just over three months ago I installed Leaf-Spy on my phone. At that time, I had readings as low as AHr = 68.17, SOH = 85.77%, and Hx = 80.92 on my one year old 2017 Leaf with just under 6,7000 miles. Now three months later the readings are AHr = 75.776, SOH=95.34, and Hx = 88.54 at 8,500 miles on the odometer. I have been charging the battery to 100% more often, and have taken the car for longer drives. I am wondering if this dramatic change might be due to the so called software error. In any case, the recent values are encouraging, and are continuing to improve.

Does anyone here have any idea what is going on?

I have a 15 month old 2017. My capacity as measured by leaf spy started at 69 went up to 73 in three months then drifted down to 71 over nine months and came back up to 72.5 over three months as I started fast charging and driving longer distances more. After update I have 76 AHr. I can't make sense of it. I met another leaf owner that fast charges all the time and drives 70mph for 70 miles everyday. He had 82AHr. That is why I started fast charging and my capacity started going up!

Yes, that's correct. As strange it may be, every time i do a fast charge, the SOH rises or keeps high. That's why i believe the update is: it corrects this problem that requires a fast charge to show the real SOH ;)

I will be checking if it's true and the SOH now holds without the need of fast charging...

jfr2006 said:
Yes, that's correct. As strange it may be, every time i do a fast charge, the SOH rises or keeps high. That's why i believe the update is: it corrects this problem that requires a fast charge to show the real SOH ;)

I will be checking if it's true and the SOH now holds without the need of fast charging...
IIRC, EPA measured ~ 32 kWh from the meter to charge from empty to full. VLBW is within a couple percent of empty (say 0.5 kwh ?) so a conservative estimate of capacity loss is 1 - (27.1+0.5)/32 = 0.1375 = 13.75%. Your Ahr readings are jumping around, but consistently higher than the charge amount suggests.

I read this as over-optimistic BMS reporting. Not surprising for the Nissan skeptics amongst us, but more data and more cars are needed to draw firmer conclusions.

SageBrush said:
jfr2006 said:
On VLBW, Leafspy measured 1.8kWh remaining ;)
Yes, but that includes an unusable fraction.

No, it does not! I have done the experiment previously until i run out of battery. Got the turtle mode when i was with 0.4kWh measured by LeafSpy ;)

Back