Cooling Leaf batteries with ice?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astros

A while back I saw a post in the Seattle Leaf facebook group about cooling the 2018 battery pack by putting ice on the pack through the access panel between the rear seats:
35882594_2361158294110721_2970518236543582208_o.jpg

Has anyone here tried anything like this, or have any idea whether it will cause problems for the battery? With hot summer temperatures and a road trip last week, I found my battery got up to 127 degrees and the maximum charging speed dropped to 16kW (at 20% battery), so I'm very interested in anything that cools the battery!

Slightly better would be to use dry ice, but that would still pull condensate out of the air. I toyed with the idea of putting some kind of expansion jet spraying into the battery pack, to which a bottle of liquid CO2 could be connected during an infrequent trip. The idea would be to have a kind of one-shot refrigeration system one could activate during QC sessions. I only take a few trips a year that involve multiple QCs, so I wouldn't mind the extra fuss of carrying the bottle. Based on some rough-estimate calculations (admittedly, starting from debatable guesses as to the heat generated by a QC), it didn't look practical. Too bad the CHAdeMO charging connector didn't make provision for a small air line that could convey cooled compressed air into the battery pack; the cable's fatter than a tugboat hawser anyway, so, there's plenty of room. Plus, it would have let the cost burden of pack cooling be borne by the infrequently used external equipment instead of the car.

Back