You all are great. Thanks.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafydeafy

I've had my 2018 Leaf SV for a week now and am loving every minute of it. Reading through this forum provided tons of great information and answered a lot of my questions before pulling the trigger. Thanks!

I love the e-pedal. It really is a game-changer. I estimate I've used it about 90% of the time thus far. It didn't take nearly as long to get used to as I thought it would. Certain times it seems to coast too much when coming to a stop on a (slight) downhill, but I'm starting to figure it out. (I live in a hilly Midwestern city.)

Some initial questions I'm hoping you can answer:

1. For battery life, is it best to charge it a certain amount of time, to a certain level? I know with mobile phones I've heard it's best to keep it between 40-80%, with more "top off" charges when you have the chance. And don't leave it plugged in all night where it's sitting with the charger for long periods at 100%. Should I treat the Leaf the same way? Is it okay to charge it for small periods here and there?

2. Is there a danger (battery-life-wise) to consistently go below, say, 20%? I have a 30 mile round-trip commute and am hoping to go a few days between charges. I just don't know if I should let it get too low on a regular basis, or if I should try to keep it above a certain threshold, if possible.

3. Do I really need a dedicated charging station (like ClipperCreek)? Or can I get by with having a 240 V outlet installed in my garage and using the charging cord that came with the Leaf? If it's useful information, I have an insulated garage with an insulated garage door, so it stays relatively cool in summer and warm in winter.

Thanks!

1. Yes. Keep the battery as cool as possible and between 20-80% for longest life.
2. Not sure, but 20% should be fine, below might be more damaging, but probably not significant (like keeping it above 80% above 90F).
3. You can use the 120V cord that came with the 2018 Leaf (S & SV) to get about 40-50 mi/night (4 to 5 mph). I've been doing it for nearly 7 years. However, make sure you have a dedicated circuit, a good tight receptacle, and don't allow the weight of the brick to pull on the plug (I've mounted mine). However, most users have found that a 240V charging station (like ClipperCreek) makes the car more functional. It really depends on your driving pattern, proximity to public stations, weather conditions, etc. The 2018 SL comes with a 240V cable and can be plugged directly into a 14-50 receptacle (240V).

Welcome and thank you for driving electric! Please pass on your enthusiasm to all your friends, neighbors, and coworkers.

If your 2018 SV came with the dual-voltage portable Nissan EVSE, you can use a 240-volt NEMA 14-50 receptacle (range or RV receptacle) supplied from a 2-pole, 50-ampere circuit breaker with suitable wiring in your garage. However, I find it more convenient to have a dedicated EVSE so that the portable unit can stay in the car for emergencies.

I would say that charging and driving to keep the battery between 20% and 80% would be good if that works for you. Try to have it around 40% to 60% if you plan to leave it parked for extended time (such as at the airport or in the garage while on vacation). Personally, I charge to 100% all the time and discharge to LBW or VLBW (low battery warning or very low battery warning) frequently because I drive over 50 miles every day.

I avoid going below 20% and only occasionally charge to 100%. I typically charge twice a week. Seems to be working , my 2015 still has 12 bars (I'm sure being in Illinois is also a factor).

I picked-up a multi-voltage (120/240) multi-current (8/12/16 amps) portable EVSE from Amazon for just over $300. I'm very happy with it. I leave the original at home and carry the new one in the trunk. I work at a shopping mall that has a parking deck, which I recently discovered has several 20 amp outlets available. So I now do most of my charging at work.

I recommend a portable over dedicated station, it just offers more flexibility.

Ron

oz10k said:
I avoid going below 20% and only occasionally charge to 100%. I typically charge twice a week. Seems to be working , my 2015 still has 12 bars (I'm sure being in Illinois is also a factor).

It has a lot to do with it! Having a "lizard" battery helps (mine is doing a bit better than my original battery), but heat (especially in the South) is the real killer.

Back