Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
June 2018
FwJTzHN.jpg

Kw91l4r.jpg

Yes, the first cars charged at Framingham Friday night. I was there just before it opened.

Kennebunk (Southbound) ME also opened up on Friday according to reports. It listed as the last of the June openings on supercharge.info.

Not sure when it was turned on but Aspen CO was reported on July 2 as being added to the Tesla website. It is using the urban-style pedestals.

Makes Independence Pass (12,095 feet, Continental Divide, closed in winter) really easy now. Need to make a mini road trip over that way — McClure Pass, Aspen Supercharger Station, Independence Pass, Poncha Springs Supercharger Station, Monarch Pass (398 miles).

dgpcolorado said:
Not sure when it was turned on but Aspen CO was reported on July 2 as being added to the Tesla website. It is using the urban-style pedestals.

Makes Independence Pass (12,095 feet, Continental Divide, closed in winter) really easy now. Need to make a mini road trip over that way — McClure Pass, Aspen Supercharger Station, Independence Pass, Poncha Springs Supercharger Station, Monarch Pass (398 miles).
Glad to see that one's official now. When I checked it on the 2nd or 3rd it wasn't. Definitely closes a hole. Alamosa, Montrose, Steamboat Springs, Telluride and Walsenburg have all been hanging fire for quite a while (at least as far as supercharge.info knows), but are still shown as 2018 targets on Tesla's SC pages, with Idaho Springs and Conifer shown for 2019. Up in Montana, although the I-15 ones and Kalispell are all still listed for 2018, it's obvious they'll miss the summer vacation season yet again.

Anyone have data on location for LEAF sale or other EVs besides the two I listed below?

Aside: seems to be some visual correlation between *EV interested owners and where Tesla SCs end up being. Make sense as you would expect Tesla SCs to be where larger populations of Teslas are and travel thru (and other *EV owners).
______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ ______
USA Tesla Superchargers using the number of stalls (ie. weighted) at each Supercharger as part of the heatmap. -- (note Canada is not included in my heatmap) --

I created this using data from supercharger.info and google tools.
tbiaykM.jpg

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ ______

Bolts -- Voltstats.net heatmap (yes, I realize it is a small subset of Bolts)
nwDNY3D.jpg

BMW i3 *EVs -- via Inside EVs article at this link:
https://insideevs.com/georgia-electric-car-tax-credit-ending-soon-as-states-ccs-rollout-accelerates/
stB8o7a.jpg

In may 17th, 2018 Tesla was at ~ 9,700 Supercharger plugs, just off the 10,000 promised for the first of the year.
Since then Tesla has upped the pace and now reports ~ 10,700 plugs, as of July 25th
Since a site averages about 8 plugs, this works out to 125 new sites and a rate of 1.45 new sites a DAY.

Crazy, and awesome.

I'll continue to post periodic, perhaps quarterly updates

Even better,
Actually 11,353 plugs as of 7/23 for about 3 new locations and 24 plugs a day since May 17th.

I suppose that I should not be so surprised since even my middle of no-where, uber rural locale is slated for three new locations in 2018 within easy driving distance.

I'm not sure we need another thread reflecting upon the growth of the SuperCharging network. Maybe just keep it in http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9111?

Per a poster on TMC the Leavenworth, WA SC near the junction of U.S. 2 and 97 is now working, although it remains unofficial - in fact, Tesla doesn't even show an SC by that name or on any town nearby on their SC list. This is the first U.S. SC which expands coverage (rather than being infill) since Estes Park, IIRR. About the only new U.S. SC of the 22 known to be under construction that could even be argued is an expansion is York, PA at the junction of I-83 and U.S. 30, and that's stretching a point.

GRA said:
Per a poster on TMC the Leavenworth, WA SC near the junction of U.S. 2 and 97 is now working, although it remains unofficial - in fact, Tesla doesn't even show an SC by that name or on any town nearby on their SC list. This is the first U.S. SC which expands coverage (rather than being infill) since Estes Park, IIRR. About the only new U.S. SC of the 22 known to be under construction that could even be argued is an expansion is York, PA at the junction of I-83 and U.S. 30, and that's stretching a point.
Aspen CO was expansion, as opposed to infill. There are lots of "in permitting" locations that are expansion.

However, infill is useful too, especially in very crowded places such as California and the East Coast.

dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:
Aspen CO was expansion, as opposed to infill. There are lots of "in permitting" locations that are expansion.

However, infill is useful too, especially in very crowded places such as California and the East Coast.
Right, forgot about Aspen. As for "in permitting", yes there are expansion sites there, but as I've pointed out before"in permitting" can mean next to nothing. By my count there are currently 16 U.S. SCs that have been "in permitting" for 6 months or more on supercharge.info, with three over a year: Statesville, NC (which should be removed judging by the TMC commentary) @ 641 days; Ft. Stockton, TX (a critical site for I-10) @ 605 days; and Emporia Kansas (infill for density) @ 416 days. Infill is necessary in some areas to shorten legs, but mainly seems to be aimed at boosting capacity for Model 3s in major urban corridors at the moment. Expansion of coverage has virtually stopped.

dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:

Infill predominates when expansion is close to complete since the effort is then focused on areas with high Tesla penetration.

I used the Farmington, NM Supercharger this week. I arrived with ~ 27% battery SoC and left with 60%. 98 EPA miles of range added in 15 minutes. Cost $3.3 + $0.23 tax, so about 3.6 cents a mile.

Details:
Model 3 LR
Started at 114 kW, ended at 90 kW
10 of the 15 minute stay spent on bio-breaks

SageBrush said:
dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:

Infill predominates when expansion is close to complete since the effort is then focused on areas with high Tesla penetration.
Unfortunately expansion is nowhere close to complete, as even the primary Interstate system still lacks SCs on several routes or legs (I-10/15/20/25/29/35/40/55/75/94/95, and then there are all the U.S. and state highways that need to be covered. The need for the latter two is primarily out west, where the distances between interstates are much greater, and numerous outdoor recreation sites are only accessible well off the interstates. East of the Mississippi the interstate density is usually high enough that it's only necessary to have SCs on them at junctions with U.S. or state highways to serve the areas in between them. For example, compare the area bounded by Interstates 68/81/64/79, mainly in Virginia/West Virginia, with the Four Corners area bounded by Interstates 70/25/40/15, which encompasses parts of California/Nevada/Utah/Colorado/New Mexico/Arizona.

Re slowing of expansion, see https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotor...a_abandons_plans_for_superchargers_along_i94/

A source from Tesla has confirmed that Alexandria, MN site has been the hold up on the I94 route. They will look for new site nearby, but won’t try to continue work on the I-94 route until next spring. This likely means I-29 and the trans-Canada route (which Elon said on Twitter would all be complete in 2018) will also be delayed as a result. This makes the 4th year in a row Tesla has planned Superchargers in North Dakota and failed to deliver (Supercharger section on Tesla’s website once claimed ND super chargers were coming in 2015).

GRA said:
Per a poster on TMC the Leavenworth, WA SC near the junction of U.S. 2 and 97 is now working, although it remains unofficial - in fact, Tesla doesn't even show an SC by that name or on any town nearby on their SC list. <snip>
It's now official, and apparently replaces the planned SC in Wenatchee, which has now been removed from Tesla's SC list (it was listed as 'Coming soon').

I had some outdoorsy friends who recently completed a road trip from the Bay Area: I-5 to Ashland, OR, then cut over to U.S. 97 via Crater Lake and up through Peachland, Kelowna, Revelstoke, Golden and Lake Louise to Jasper NP in B.C., then back to Lake Louise, Waterton NP, Stanley ID then through SE Oregon (Steens Mtns.) and NE California (Warner Mtns) and back to the Bay Area; not sure whether they came down U.S. 395 to Reno and then I-80 or cut back over to I-5. If they had a Tesla the Leavenworth SC site (wasn't open yet) plus the 'coming soon' ones listed for Okanogan and Osoyoos would have been needed, plus several others that aren't even posited by Tesla as of yet.

The places we tend to travel to by car, our beyond the road end recreations and our typical 'lodgings' consisting of a ground cloth/bivy sac or at most a tent/snow cave, plus sleeping pad and bag are similar, which is why BEVs simply don't work yet for people like us, at least given any time constraints and if you avoid RV parks like the plague. As he's always owned Volvo wagons I have hopes of convincing them to go BEV in a few years when Volvo BEV wagons are available and the CCS infrastructure's better, especially since I talked them into getting a grid-intertie PV system a few years back (not a hard sell, as 25 years ago I'd designed and installed the off-grid PV system on the backcountry ski hut in Yosemite where he spends much of the winter as caretaker/ranger). Or maybe his wife will get a BEV first, when it's time to replace her RAV4.

Edit: The York, PA SC officially opened today, so there are now zero expansion of coverage SCs under construction in the U.S.

GRA said:
I had some outdoorsy friends who recently completed a road trip from the Bay Area: I-5 to Ashland, OR, then cut over to U.S. 97 via Crater Lake and up through Peachland, Kelowna, Revelstoke, Golden and Lake Louise to Jasper NP in B.C., then back to Lake Louise, Waterton NP, Stanley ID then through SE Oregon (Steens Mtns.) and NE California (Warner Mtns) and back to the Bay Area; not sure whether they came down U.S. 395 to Reno and then I-80 or cut back over to I-5. If they had a Tesla the Leavenworth SC site (wasn't open yet) plus the 'coming soon' ones listed for Okanogan and Osoyoos would have been needed, plus several others that aren't even posited by Tesla as of yet.
Just the Bay Area to Jasper NP is over a 1300 mile trip. It's actually doable with an S100D using just SCs right now, although you'd need charging at the destination in order to make the return trip. With an X or smaller battery S you'd need longer SC stops as well as an additional stop to charge after Kamloops to reach all the way to Jasper NP.
kmOZpk6.png

Alternately, with a 3 LR you'd be able shave almost an hour of charging time, but incur $65 in SC fees.
hdTMdJD.png

But that's already an exceptional trip -- a fraction of 1% will every make such a trip.

I realized I didn't map the trip as described. This is closer to your friend's trip. This is faster even with the 56MPH limited leg (in red) than the two alternatives.
r8pOtW9.png

This 1650 mile trip (one way) is again something that not many people will ever undertake. And the above was all managed with SC (albeit the need to charge while at Jasper NP if you ever want to go home).

(My son does trips like this; he lives in Bend - I didn't realize there was a SC there).

Back