TPMS - Added two new tires and wheels. How to tell Car to read new sensors?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UBUYGAS

Hello All,

I bought 4 brand new tires and wheels from a 2017 SL that went under a tractor trailer at 1000 miles.

Tires look brand new and wheels as well. I just changed my bald fronts with two of these and now the tire warning came on.

How so I sync the 2 new tires with my car.

I have LEAF spy pro as well if that helps.

Thanks,

UBUYGAS

It's TPMS.

Are you sure you have those ?

In Leaf Spy Pro: Settings -> Service Screen -> Enable.
You should then see a Service Menu.
Select Register Tire Positions.
Follow the instructions.

I have not yet tried--according to other threads, new sensors can be registered by following the procedure in the service screen of LEAF Spy Pro. My experience after tire rotation is that it takes more driving distance at speeds above 25 mi/hr than I expect to complete the registration process so have patience.

UBUYGAS said:
Hello All,

I bought 4 brand new tires and wheels from a 2017 SL that went under a tractor trailer at 1000 miles.

Tires look brand new and wheels as well. I just changed my bald fronts with two of these and now the tire warning came on.

Thanks,

UBUYGAS

Well the process would be to go to settings and enable maintenance screen which is not on by default. This gives you 5 dots over the standard 4. Then register TPMS sensors. They will only read when moving so after registering, you will need to drive a few blocks going at least 20+ mph

DaveinOlyWA said:
UBUYGAS said:
Hello All,

Thanks,

UBUYGAS

Well the process would be to go to settings and enable maintenance screen which is not on by default. This gives you 5 dots over the standard 4. Then register TPMS sensors. They will only read when moving so after registering, you will need to drive a few blocks going at least 20+ mph
Settings in the car or LS ?

Most all vehicles don't require any external device to force the TPMS ECU to "learn" new sensors or their new positions if the tires
are rotated. That assumes that all the sensors are OK. Remenber, presently TPMS devices have internal batteries which only last
5-8 years. One always needs to use an external tester to verify whether all the sensors can transmit when "new" sensors are
installed or if having a problem.

Thanks All for your replies, Been crazy busy and no time to do it.

As some have said, you can do it with LEAFspy Pro under the hidden menu BUT the procedure requires that you fill the four tires to different levels. 28, 30, 32, 34 and start the search and drive for 10 minutes above 25MPH. maybe tomorrow morning I can try.

Sal

UBUYGAS said:

As some have said, you can do it with LEAFspy Pro under the hidden menu BUT the procedure requires that you fill the four tires to different levels. 28, 30, 32, 34 and start the search and drive for 10 minutes above 25MPH. maybe tomorrow morning I can try.

Sal

Make sure you make numerous left/right turns while driving.

UBUYGAS said:

Sal

You are describing the manual reset method and that will not address unregistered sensors

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
UBUYGAS said:
Hello All,

Thanks,

UBUYGAS

Settings in the car or LS ?

I don't know of a car that can register new sensors...

DaveinOlyWA said:
Apparently the Tesla Model 3 can self-register new sensors, but it may require a specific model #
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tpms-for-2017.100279/

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Apparently the Tesla Model 3 can self-register new sensors, but it may require a specific model #.

Yes, as is the case for most all late model vehicles. Hardly a difficult task, i.e. self-learning, for a well designed algorithm of a TPMS ECU.
Obviously the sensor has to be compatible with the vehicle. It's a standard off-the-shelf system available from many automotive subsystem
suppliers.

lorenfb said:
Obviously the sensor has to be compatible with the vehicle.
How is that determined other than transmit frequency ?
Are there competing protocols in the market ?

SageBrush said:
lorenfb said:

The TPMS ECU reads the data stored in each sensor, e.g. the tire pressure, the sensor's ID, the battery status, etc.
Each ECU vendor can design its own algorithm for determining the sensor's position. The frequencies are somewhat
standard as are the communications protocols from each sensor's manufacturer.

lorenfb said:
SageBrush said:
lorenfb said:

The TPMS ECU reads the data stored in each sensor, e.g. the tire pressure, the sensor's ID, the battery status, etc.
Each ECU vendor can design its own algorithm for determining the sensor's position. The frequencies are somewhat
Heh. Now where have I heard that before ?

You are leaving me with the impression that I cannot buy a generic TPMS at the right frequency and have much expectation of plug&play compatibility.

SageBrush said:
lorenfb said:
SageBrush said:

Heh. Now where have I heard that before ?

You are leaving me with the impression that I cannot buy a generic TPMS at the right frequency and have much expectation of plug&play compatibility.

Generic sensors or the "universal" type needs to be programmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJdon-rqQEg

DaveinOlyWA said:
Generic sensors or the "universal" type needs to be programmed.

Then you DON'T buy that type unless you have the tool to program them, right? It's that simple.

Back