Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MickM said:
$7612 is a great discount off MSRP. My discount was $7199 of an MSRP that was $2k higher. You definitely got the better deal! I'm assuming here you didn't qualify for any of the military or student programs or the Nissan loyalty program (I didn't).

Also, it always amazes me that the doc fee in CA is $80 when it's typically $400 in MA.
Both are great deals, only thing that got me close to that was no taxes.

Is the Leaf anywhere close to meeting the 200k limit for the $7,500 federal rebate? If so, how do I ensure that we get the rebate because we purchased before the limit was hit? In case I'm not clear, we purchased in May 2018. Say the limit is hit in Oct. The tax form does have purchase date, will that help to verify that we qualify?

wekebu said:
Is the Leaf anywhere close to meeting the 200k limit for the $7,500 federal rebate? If so, how do I ensure that we get the rebate because we purchased before the limit was hit? In case I'm not clear, we purchased in May 2018. Say the limit is hit in Oct. The tax form does have purchase date, will that help to verify that we qualify?

That just means you'll qualify no matter what. There's an infographic about how the tax credit sunsetting works for Tesla, which applies to Nissan as well: https://insideevs.com/us-federal-7500-ev-credit-expiry-date-by-automaker-estimates/

TL;DR: If Nissan sells it's 200,000th EV in Oct 2018, then all EV sales in that "quarter" (Oct, Nov, Dec), plus the one after it (Jan, Feb, Mar 2019) continue to qualify for the full tax credit amount. The two quarters after that only qualify for half the tax credit amount ($3750), and the two quarters after that only qualifies for 1/4 the amount ($1875). Thus, only Nissan EV's sold in April 2020 or later will get zero tax credits.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
That just means you'll qualify no matter what. There's an infographic about how the tax credit sunsetting works for Tesla, which applies to Nissan as well: https://insideevs.com/us-federal-7500-ev-credit-expiry-date-by-automaker-estimates/

TL;DR: If Nissan sells it's 200,000th EV in Oct 2018, then all EV sales in that "quarter" (Oct, Nov, Dec), plus the one after it (Jan, Feb, Mar 2019) continue to qualify for the full tax credit amount. The two quarters after that only qualify for half the tax credit amount ($3750), and the two quarters after that only qualifies for 1/4 the amount ($1875). Thus, only Nissan EV's sold in April 2020 or later will get zero tax credits.

Thank you! My hubby and I have been searching for this answer. I should have come here first :D

wekebu said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Thank you! My hubby and I have been searching for this answer. I should have come here first :D

It's confusing for any new buyer and my dealer was totally clueless how it works which made it a guessing game for the most part until I came here. So anyone in the market is safe with getting the $7500 back in 2018 and into the first QTR of 2019. So if the trend keeps you can expect a rush to buy the 2019 models when they are released. This has it's own impact on the numbers too and could push the numbers faster should they release a total revamp for 2019 that includes double the range etc. Tesla is in the same boat but they are even closer to the 200K so it could be safe to say two manufactures will be at a disadvantage in 2020 with the others getting the benefit should the program continue. Could end or be extended at anytime and could change too. All unknown factors etc.

Congrats too!

Came here for lease/buy info & thought I would provide some as well. My lease offer this week for '18 SL w/ Tech included a rebate of $7675, so it looks like that is back on. I saw some heated discussion about this, so clearly people are interested.

The initial discounted price is a little higher than I'm seeing from many on here, $35,999 (38,115 MSRP). Anyone have tips on getting that knocked down? They said it's been on the lot for a while, but I didn't get a build date.

I'm leaning toward leasing because I'm here in hot-as-hell TX, even though I have a $10k trade-in.

The build date is on the door jamb sticker. The defect rate seems higher through February, going down in March, as I see it. DO NOT buy a Leaf in Texas! The only exception might be if you only need 60 miles of range and want a new battery in four or five years.

Hello everyone! I'm new to the board and looking to get into my first Leaf. One of my local dealers here in SoCal offered me deal on a 2018 SL w/ Tech Package, Splash Guards, and Cargo mats. VIN#301391. Details below.

MSRP: $38115
Negotiated price: $34959
Rebates/Discounts: $2000 (NMAC)
Down payment: $2000
Cap Cost: $34235, financed over 72 months @ 0.0%

I can definitetly utilize all $7500 of the Federal tax credit. So buying seems like my cup of tea. Considering they are taking 8.3% off MSRP, I think they can do better since another dealer is offering a SV w/ Tech Package at 11.1% off MSRP. Thoughts?

If you are in a Hot part of SoCal, you might want to consider leasing, even for a worse deal. The battery probably won't hold up very well in the heat. You would likely get a new battery under warranty in that case, but would you be ok with the range diminishing to 90 miles or less before it happened?

LeftieBiker said:
If you are in a Hot part of SoCal, you might want to consider leasing, even for a worse deal. The battery probably won't hold up very well in the heat. You would likely get a new battery under warranty in that case, but would you be ok with the range diminishing to 90 miles or less before it happened?

I'm in the LA-San Gabriel area, with a 40-mile round trip commute. It's definitely not Death Valley, but not Minnesota either. I'm not new to leasing, so I'm pretty open to it. I just need to do more research since I'm used to leasing other makes.

The top contenders on my list are the Leaf (new), a i3 REX, and Ioniq EV.

LeftieBiker said:

I suggest you cross off the i3 REX, due to serious reliability issues with the REX. Cwerdna can fill you in on that.

Thanks! As far as my OP, do you think I can ask the dealer to discount the Leaf more?

captslow said:
LeftieBiker said:

I suggest you cross off the i3 REX, due to serious reliability issues with the REX. Cwerdna can fill you in on that.

Thanks! As far as my OP, do you think I can ask the dealer to discount the Leaf more?

If you're not in a hurry, then I think you definitely can. The 40kwh leaf sales are slowing down: https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

Nissan offered some pretty nice discounts when they needed to move metal, and with #rapidchargegate still fresh, and a 60kwh (w/ TMS) leaf coming in less than a year, I'd be willing to bet that we'd see $4k discounts before the end of the year.

captslow said:
LeftieBiker said:

I'm in the LA-San Gabriel area, with a 40-mile round trip commute. It's definitely not Death Valley, but not Minnesota either. I'm not new to leasing, so I'm pretty open to it. I just need to do more research since I'm used to leasing other makes.

With a 40-mile RT commute you might be well served by a Honda Clarity EV for $200/mo + tax that comes with 20,000 annual miles, they extended the lease program until October I think.

Not sure if the Clarity EV is my cup of tea. Looks like I have some time on my hands and wait for some better discounts.

I've been reading up on the battery issues and #rapidgate. I'm open to tweaking my lifestyle to use DCFC sparingly, and I'm not sure if the weather here is warm enough to be a contributing factor. Looks like I need to look into it more.

LeftieBiker said:
The weather in Upstate NY is hot enough to increase degradation, going by LeafSpy. Assume that SoCal is as well.

Is there any data already about the 2018 pack? I was down 1 bar on the original 2011 pack before the 2nd summer, I'm finishing my 3rd summer on a replacement Lizard with all 12, not for much longer though.

First time post. I just left the Nissan Dealer and have both a purchase and a lease deal in writing on a 2018 Leaf SV with winter package. I think Rapidgate is really hurting sales now. Seems like a good deal. And the cars aren’t moving I guess. Rapidgate isn’t a huge deal to me as the car will be a daily winter commuter mostly.
The purchase deal
MSRP $34,925
Sales price $31,408
Doc fees $500
Utility rebate $5000
That means without anything down the total price is $26,908 and they have offered 0% financing. Include the $7500 fed tax credit and the cost out of my pocket is $19,407. I think that’s pretty good!

The Lease deal
3yr/36000 Miles, $1000 down $399/month with a buyout of $11,900 at lease end.

I think I’m going to purchase... any thoughts?

I live in New Hampshire USA. Summers are 80+ deg F and winters can be below Zero. Car will be 75% winter use as I ride a motorcycle during summertime. Total daily range needed to get to work and back is 80 miles. And I can charge at work.

Back