2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
Are you forgetting Nissan still has a battery company?
Are you forgetting that Nissan is an unwilling owner, a result of the buyer walking away from the deal ?

Nissan wants to find another buyer, not pour R&D into AESC.
I'll be surprised if Nissan spends even 2% of the Tesla R&D budget on EV. And no, marketing does not count.

Nissan sold the battery business:

“Envision will acquire AESC and Nissan’s battery manufacturing operations in Smyrna, Tennessee, owned by Nissan North America Inc. (NNA), and in Sunderland, England, owned by Nissan Motor Manufacturing (UK) Ltd. (NMUK), as well as its Japanese battery development and production engineering operations located in Oppama, Atsugi and Zama.

Lei Zhang, founder and CEO of Envision, said about the announcement:

“We are excited to announce the acquisition of Nissan’s battery business, a leading producer of advanced, safe and reliable lithium-ion batteries. Together with the battery business management team and its highly skilled workforce, this partnership will see Envision expand both organizations’ footprints into the intelligent energy ecosystem to create new innovative solutions for the IoT value chain. With this strategic acquisition and collaboration, we aim to expand our activities via investment into the new company to realize the value of IoT technology for smart transportation, V2G, and smart city solutions.”

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Are you forgetting Nissan still has a battery company?
Are you forgetting that Nissan is an unwilling owner, a result of the buyer walking away from the deal ?

Nissan wants to find another buyer, not pour R&D into AESC.
I'll be surprised if Nissan spends even 2% of the Tesla R&D budget on EV. And no, marketing does not count.

Now the battery company is gone so this brings up a new question;

We all know the 60 kwh is going to be roughly $5000 more but if the 2019 with 40 kwh pack is the same as current LEAF, now THAT makes an attractive deal. TMS implies no more RapidGate with full speed charging to at least 60% (would be nice if it was the 75-80% of the 30 kwh packs but considering the 100 KW speed, not seeing that as likely)

DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
We all know the 60 kwh is going to be roughly $5000 more
None of us "know" any such thing.

With anything in the future, it "known" as much as the LE of course
No.

Unless you have insider information all you have is a guess. Nissan may have decided but they are not telling you.

So, this is weird...

https://www.nissan.ca/en/electric-cars/leaf

The Nissan Canada website mentions 2019, but this seems to be the 2018 LEAF, based on the specs listed. Maybe they are getting ready to release the 2019?

alozzy said:
So, this is weird...

The Nissan Canada website mentions 2019, but this seems to be the 2018 LEAF, based on the specs listed. Maybe they are getting ready to release the 2019?
I noticed that too the other day. It's weird that they would have the 2019 now for no apparent reason. I used the Internet Archive to see what that page looked like earlier in the year, and the only difference is the model year and the price is a little higher now.

alozzy said:
So, this is weird...

The Sage Green colour seems to also no longer be available. Maybe not a huge seller so they axed it. We're still waiting for our blue SV - they say this month is production and next month is delivery.

alozzy said:
So, this is weird...

yeah, lot of weird going on there.

From what I understand, "their" version of the 2019 is the same as our version of the 2018.

There was a big rush on sales due to expiring credits and MANY are upset in that they ordered 2018's and the allotment ran out so apparently dealers were selling cars that did not exist.

So is this Nissan's way of recovering from the dealer's error? Would it not have been simpler to increase the 2018 allotment? There seems to be a bit of a glut in the US...

alozzy said:
So, this is weird...

Interesting. This, combined with the Japanese market configurator changes certainly seems to suggest that the 2019 may be here soon.

On a related note, I took my LEAF in for the annual battery check last week and asked if they had any news of the 2019's arrival. They were thinking September, but I'm inclined to take this with a large grain of salt.

DaveinOlyWA said:
alozzy said:
So, this is weird...

yeah, lot of weird going on there.

From what I understand, "their" version of the 2019 is the same as our version of the 2018.

There was a big rush on sales due to expiring credits and MANY are upset in that they ordered 2018's and the allotment ran out so apparently dealers were selling cars that did not exist.

So is this Nissan's way of recovering from the dealer's error? Would it not have been simpler to increase the 2018 allotment? There seems to be a bit of a glut in the US...

I'm in Canada and I actually did put in an pre-order for the 2019 Leaf last month. The dealers here were given information about the 2019s from Nissan Canada. It is slightly updated from the 2018s (new two-tone color) and a couple other minor things. They will be going into production in November/December. I did cancel the pre-order once the E-plus was announced. They told me it will be at least a couple months before the E-plus can be pre-ordered.

I have it on reasonably good authority that the 2019 LEAF won't be available in the US until February 2019. I'll let you know if I can get a production start date or any other details.

Joe6pack said:
I have it on reasonably good authority that the 2019 LEAF won't be available in the US until February 2019. I'll let you know if I can get a production start date or any other details.
Not exactly what I was hoping for (end of December), but any idea if the February 2019 availability includes the e-Plus?

eplus said:
Joe6pack said:
Not exactly what I was hoping for (end of December), but any idea if the February 2019 availability includes the e-Plus?

Have you heard prices on these E-Pluses ?? The Tesla Model 3 is just too expensive for my blood, $700 a month, which could buy a lot of gas per se or I could just pay the toll costs, about $400 a month and not drive electric.

Since I lose my Clean Air decal 12/31/18 I WILL have to buy a new electric car to dive in the car-pool lane, so I am thinking I'll buy the 2018 Leaf at what 150 miles at what $29k (us) it might be worth the inconvenience of two months of no car-pool to buy a 2019 with 200+ miles capability, I guess it depends on the price of the car though.

Sondy132001 said:
eplus said:
Joe6pack said:

Have you heard prices on these E-Pluses ?? The Tesla Model 3 is just too expensive for my blood, $700 a month, which could buy a lot of gas per se or I could just pay the toll costs, about $400 a month and not drive electric.

Since I lose my Clean Air decal 12/31/18 I WILL have to buy a new electric car to dive in the car-pool lane, so I am thinking I'll buy the 2018 Leaf at what 150 miles at what $29k (us) it might be worth the inconvenience of two months of no car-pool to buy a 2019 with 200+ miles capability, I guess it depends on the price of the car though.

I've seen $5K in a lot of places, but I can't find anything that says where that number comes from. I tried to pry some information out of my dealer when I went in for my 6 month 'free' tune up dealy last week, but all he would tell me is that a Leaf with a "larger capacity" is definitely coming this year. I'm excited to see. My wife is ready to make the switch and her current car may not last until the right-hand drive $35K Model 3 comes out (if ever).

Yeah, speculating on the price is a COMPLETE waste of time. I can tell you mine was $33,421 and that means NOTHING. Cause I paid nowhere near that.

So the 60 kwh LEAF SV with "normal" options goes for $39,000 is confirmed right now, would that make you feel any better?

Wouldn't do it for me simply because that is not what they will sell for...

Tesla prices are set, nothing else is.

I doubt my source will know anything about pricing. He did confirm higher capacity. I have inquired about battery cooling, but haven't gotten a response.

I expect (my speculation, not his) that this new LEAF will follow the same pattern as the 2018 with production beginning around November in the US. I would think that we would hear something out of Japan or Europe first. However, given the specs, this new longer range LEAF may be better suited to the US market, so maybe it launches here first (again, my speculation).

Joe6pack, can you tell us whether your source is "on the inside" and knows something beyond what they're telling dealerships?

I ask after calling my local dealership, and then the Nissan Leaf customer service number. Zero helpful information was given on both calls... can't say I was that surprised, but I was surprised that they were not willing to at least say, "Let me put you on the list and we'll send you release information as soon as we have a date."
I think Nissan's marketing team needs to get with the program... keeping information from people until the last minute, or stonewalling them on the phone when they call with interest, is not the way to pull ahead of the Tesla 3.

JG

Back