Is the heat pump worth an extra $1,400 to get an SV?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainerp

I am considering two different 2015 Nissan Leafs:

S
Charge Package Upgrade (6.6 kW Onboard Charger + Quick Charge Port)
38,236 miles
$10,600

and

SV
47,890 miles
$12,000

Assuming both batteries are in good shape, does anyone have advice on whether the additional range/efficiency from the heat pump is worth the extra $1,400 I would need to spend in order to make the jump to the SV?

I live in Tennessee, where our winters are "mild," but we still get temperatures in the 10-20 degree range for several days/weeks over the past few years.

Thanks for the help!

In your location the heatpump is worth it, because it saves the most range in temps from 30F - 50F. It still saves some range from Freezing down to about 15F.

I would definitely pick the SV, it's worth the extra $$$ - see this link for more details on what you get with the SV:

https://insideevs.com/2015-nissan-leaf-details-price-specs-options/

If the SV also includes the QC package and the S doesn't, then it's a no brainer.

Also, the high mileage on the SV will scare off many potential buyers (it shouldn't if the battery is in good shape), so use that to your advantage and bargain on the price with the seller.

I would never buy the "S" version of a Leaf purely due to the lack of CarWings/NissanConnect functionality. It's one of those things that's better to have and not need than need and not have.

Not having Carwings was a plus for me (I have an S). From what I've read (I don't have it of course....) it works poorly, can drain the 12V battery, requires 'upgrades' on some models, etc. It also seems to be a portal by which malicious actors could possibly hack into the car.

OK, that last one is a stretch :lol: but for me a car is a car is a car. If it goes from point A to point B comfortably, then it is good.

This is a personal decision and there are many factors to consider. I have 2015 S and I live near Chicago. With the heated steering wheel and heated seats, I pretty much only use the heat to defrost the windshield. But my commute is only about 25 miles round trip, so I rarely worry about the battery level.

Also, I didn't care to pay for a CarWings subscription and wasn't particularly excited about the other SV upgrades.

If I was living in Tennessee I would not pay an extra $1,400, but you'll have to decide what's best for you. Good luck!

I have to disagree, the heat pump is worth it if your winters are moderately cold, precisely because the additional efficiency of the heat pump means you don't have to bundle up and can instead use the seat warmers along with the climate control heat. Of course, for longer drives you still need to minimize the use of cabin heating, but it's less of an issue.

DaveinOlyWA said:
jlv said:
oz10k said:
Also, I didn't care to pay for a CarWings subscription
Nissan has (so far) never charged for a CarWings subscription.

Didn't have to since they disguised the charge as a $200 module upgrade ;)

Which is a pretty good deal when amortized over anything exceeding 12 months (don't tell me about what a great deal Nissan gets on data rates...because an individual could never touch them).
Bottom line: CarWings/NissanConnect is a pretty useful tool and a pretty good deal for owners (maybe not leasers) like me.

Back