Recommended replacement tire

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't consider this definitive, but I seem to remember that going from 55 to 60 has corrected the speedo error in at least some cases. There is a web calculator that will show you just what the change in reading will be, if you look for it.

for those with navigation you can adjust the speedo error slightly through the nav screen. there is a thread about that here somewhere. You can do a -2.5% offset and get your 205/55r16 to read dead on. Otherwise the 17" wheel Leafs are a bit bigger OD than the 16" (215/50r17), so going with taller profile could correct speedo error. My SL (with the aforementioned tires) has less than half mph speedo error compared to GPS at 65mph.

Marko

I just replaced the stock Ecopia EP422's on my 2015 S model with the EP422 plus units...

I got 56K miles out of the originals. They had reached the point where most of the wear bars were touching, and the outer bit of tread (outside the last rain groove) was basically a slick. Needless to say, I like to get my moneys worth out of my tires...

Anyway, I was prepared for a massive mileage hit with new tires. I reset the mileage calculator on the dash computer and headed home from the tire shop. I gotta say, I was pleasantly surprised. After the first 100 miles, I'm still getting 4.8m/kwh on the GOM. Same as when I was driving on the old tires.

So, I'm happy as a clam.

mike

although: Where do you live? You must be driving mostly highway miles, because my OEM tires are virtually gone at 26k miles. I'm hoping to get 30k out of them.
Also, how are you managing 4.8m/kwh? Summertime heat in TX, even w/o the A/C, we're getting 4.2...

estomax said:
for those with navigation you can adjust the speedo error slightly through the nav screen. there is a thread about that here somewhere. You can do a -2.5% offset and get your 205/55r16 to read dead on. Otherwise the 17" wheel Leafs are a bit bigger OD than the 16" (215/50r17), so going with taller profile could correct speedo error. My SL (with the aforementioned tires) has less than half mph speedo error compared to GPS at 65mph.

Marko

The method to adjust the speed calibration through the nav system is in the thread titled "Speedometer Reads 6% High". I believe the steps to bring up the service screen were - Turn the audio power off, then press Map, Map, Map, Audio Power, Audio Power, Map. I have tried this on my 2018 SL with no luck.

I noticed the stock 16" tires for the 2018s are 215/55R16 rather than 205/55R16 on earlier models. The 215/55R16s are only 0.8% smaller diameter than the stock 215/50R17s so maybe Nissan has removed the option to calibrate the speedometer. I already have a set of 205/55R16 winter tires that I'd like to use so if anyone has found a way to adjust the speedometer on a 2018 please let me know!

I guess here is as good as anyplace...

I just went back to Bridgestone Ecopia tires on my 2011. Reasons:

The Ecopia 422 plus were $20 less per tire than the Michelins.
The most local tire place had 4 in stock and there wasn't another of their stores locally with more than 1 of the Michelins.
Got about the same number of miles from the Michelins as I did with my factory Ecopias (actually 40k vs. 35k, but I let them go more).
Michelins had great grip when new, but atrocious (dangerous even) grip towards EOL.

mwalsh said:
I guess here is as good as anyplace...

I just went back to Bridgestone Ecopia tires on my 2011. Reasons:

The Ecopia 422 plus were $20 less per tire than the Michelins.
The most local tire place had 4 in stock and there wasn't another of their stores locally with more than 1 of the Michelins.
Got about the same number of miles from the Michelins as I did with my factory Ecopias (actually 40k vs. 35k, but I let them go more).
Michelins had great grip when new, but atrocious (dangerous even) grip towards EOL.

I will be buying a set of Ecopia 422 plus tires before the end of the month. The OEM Ecopias on the 2011 worked well under wet conditions if inflated to 44 psi. The Michelin MXM4 replacements worked well and had a little better dry traction. The OEM Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires on the 2015 were probably the worst radial tires I have ever owned--wet traction (on oil-soaked wet pavement typical here during storms after long dry spells) was non-existent regardless of inflation pressure. Both sets of Michelins had excessive weather cracking on the sidewalls in my climate. The Continental sport performance tires I put on the 2015 were great when new, but they dropped the range by at least 15% and their wet/dry grip has dropped as they have aged. The Ecopias offer the best range of any tires I have used on either LEAF and they have good wet traction so I am going back to them. My only decision is whether to stay with original size of 215/50R17 or go up to 215/55R17 to get slightly larger diameter.

GerryAZ said:
The Michelin MXM4 replacements worked well and had a little better dry traction.

That's still my impression after a full day with the Ecopias - they are a little more squirrely than the Michelins, and I find myself somewhat missing the surefootedness I felt with (in my case) the MXV4s when new.

Update: A week on and the Ecopias definitely break loose WAY more readily than the MXV4s ever did. Last night I gunned it from probably 20mph while going to pass another car and, initially, all I got for my efforts were the front tires skidding against the road surface. I feel like I made a mistake that I'll have to solve by either changing the way I drive (which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing) or returning these and getting the Michelins instead!

That's weird. If I go full power from a stop and turn at the same time, I get a tiny bit of wheel spin, but if straight ahead and dry road, no problem. I got my replacement Ecopias last fall and I don't recall that they were worse at first. However, my memory is TERRIBLE! :D

Sigh...wife rear-ended an F-150...slid under the right rear corner, peeled the Leaf LF fender back to the A pillar. $5,700 damage.
Tire was damaged, so...at 26k miles, replaced all 4 tires with Ecopia 422+, OEM size.
MUCH quieter than the well-worn OEM tires, seem much more compliant, as well. Too early to tell if there will be mileage loss. It'll be hard to tell anyway, as all our driving is <30mph, stop-and-go.
FYI, repair job was superb, new hood, bumper, LF fender, excellent paint match, still zero rattles in the cabin, tracks perfectly straight. Impossible to tell it was repaired, and I've got a very critical eye. ;)

Costco is telling me I have to upgrade to the runflat version of the tire at a $25 premium. any experience with that?

csmeutah said:
Costco is telling me I have to upgrade to the runflat version of the tire at a $25 premium. any experience with that?

As far as I know, Bridgestone offers the Driveguard run flats, but not Ecopia run flats. I suspect the Driveguards will drop range a bit compared to Ecopias. There is a thread somewhere here that describes experience with Driveguards. Costco refused to sell me one size larger than stock Ecopias even though the stock size was not readily available so I refused to buy from them.

I might have missed the post that states this if so I apologize, I'm curious the range increase when using the eco tires with the leaf vs a generic brand. I know my pre owned leaf came with some cheap MotoMaster AW II tires and I feel as though the GOM is off and I'm not sure if it's because of the tires. e.g. gauge says I've lost 24kms on a 16km trip. I'm not sure if that's normal or within the acceptable range.

nateads said:
I might have missed the post that states this if so I apologize, I'm curious the range increase when using the eco tires with the leaf vs a generic brand. I know my pre owned leaf came with some cheap MotoMaster AW II tires and I feel as though the GOM is off and I'm not sure if it's because of the tires. e.g. gauge says I've lost 24kms on a 16km trip. I'm not sure if that's normal or within the acceptable range.
The Guess-O-Meter is basing its prediction on the power use over the last few miles, so its ERRORS are not affected by the tires. It is incorporating the performance of those tires in its guess. It will be equally wrong regardless of the tires, but changing the tires will change the prediction of the GOM if the tires are better or worse than the previous set.

I put on new, less efficient tires not long ago. My GOM predictions when charging to 100% at work were 92 miles on the old tires and 83 on the new tires. That difference is fairly proportional to the actual range I'm getting, even if that number is not very believable.

BuckMkII said:
My GOM predictions when charging to 100% at work were 92 miles on the old tires and 83 on the new tires. That difference is fairly proportional to the actual range I'm getting, even if that number is not very believable.
Wow a close to 10 mile difference is a fairly big gap. I kind of wish I had negotiated for the dealership to put on eco tires before buying.

nateads said:
BuckMkII said:
My GOM predictions when charging to 100% at work were 92 miles on the old tires and 83 on the new tires. That difference is fairly proportional to the actual range I'm getting, even if that number is not very believable.
Wow a close to 10 mile difference is a fairly big gap. I kind of wish I had negotiated for the dealership to put on eco tires before buying.

I guess the good news is that if the LRR tires were inflated to the suggested 36psi, and the new tires were to be inflated to, say, 44psi, the difference in range would be quite a bit smaller...

I put on a brand new pair of Continental Purecontact LRR tires from Tirerack. I am more interested in grip in all seasons than eco, because safety is King for me. Replaced a set of terrible tires (Cooper response touring and another pair I don't remember)... On the old tires, the Leaf lost grip at 7 mph on ice first time it froze.

With tires and alignment the car handles beautifully now and I'm getting 4.0 mi/kWh. Keep in mind that's accelerating conservatively in Eco mode, but doing the speed limit and not hypermilling. I also have no brake regen due to the poor battery, so I'm quite happy with 4.0.

Highly recommend the Purecontacts.

gncndad said:
Sigh...wife rear-ended an F-150...slid under the right rear corner, peeled the Leaf LF fender back to the A pillar. $5,700 damage.
Tire was damaged, so...at 26k miles, replaced all 4 tires with Ecopia 422+, OEM size.
MUCH quieter than the well-worn OEM tires, seem much more compliant, as well. Too early to tell if there will be mileage loss. It'll be hard to tell anyway, as all our driving is <30mph, stop-and-go.
FYI, repair job was superb, new hood, bumper, LF fender, excellent paint match, still zero rattles in the cabin, tracks perfectly straight. Impossible to tell it was repaired, and I've got a very critical eye. ;)

We've driven 3k miles on the Ecopia 422+ replacement tires. These tires are much better than OEM. I have no issues whatsoever. Quiet, adequate grip, no significant mileage loss. I would buy them again.

Back